Btr Transmission Mod

turbotrana

• In Your Face
  • Member For: 21y 1m 19d
Re: engine braking, you will notice that when you let your foot off the accelerator the trans is braking the engine slightly. This is purposely built into the trans. I personally dont like this however this mod essentially lets the trans freewheel when you coast. This is not an real issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks trana :spoton:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BA Ghia
  • Guests

Be very careful with these electronic shift kit modifications....

Firstly, the main shift kit mod that is going around ONLY alters the current that is sent to the S5 solenoid.

This solenoid controls the pressures inside the box so as shift feel remains constant regardless of oil temp, engine RPM, etc, etc.....

The mod doesnt alter the operation of the other solenoids, though with the increase in line pressures, it may appear that this is the case...

The main reason why I advise caution with the electronic shift kits is that they burn out the S5 solenoid, due to the increased current that is ramped through them....

For the EA-EL models, it is recommended that you fit an AU solenoid (Which can be adjusted for higher or lower shift pressures)..

This is what my son ended up doing with his EF after the Electronic shift kit blew his S5 solenoid after 8 months...

The AU solenoid with a transmission service costed roughly $500.... Peanuts really, but we are talking about a car that is almost 10 years old....

Not the sort of thing that I would really want to try with a BA and the Visteon

• Member For: 21y 28d

There have been a few people on the forums arguing that the S5 solenoid shift kit burns out the solenoid. I personally dont think this is the case as the resistor actually reduces the current going to the S5 solenoid and your S5 was probably on its way out in the first place. I think your transmission guy is feeding you a bit of porky pie as he probably does not understand what the mod was in the first place.

Re the adjustable S5 solenoid. Well the BA trans already has an adjustable S5 solenoid which is turned up for performance purposes so I cant understand why BA owners on this forum is using a electronic shift kit when you can drop the pan and get harder shifts that way?????. For EA to EF that electronic S5 shift kit is fine.

If the adjustable S5 has been turned up to its full setting and the trans still slips, disconnecting the S3 and S4 is what I would consider to be the next step in improving the holding power between shifting.

• Member For: 19y 6m 9d

BA Ghia, turbotrana is correct in saying the electronic shiftkits actually decrease current to the S5, line pressure is inversely proportional to the current through the s5 - less current = more pressure; more current = less pressure.

The solenoid is designed to operate on various curent ramps from 0.2A to 1.0A, therefore giving it less current (say 500ma instead of 850ma) isnt going to damage the solenoid.

Most people prefer the electronic shift kits due to the fact that they can be turned on or off when needed, whereas adjusting the s5 means it is going to shift hard, all the time. Effectively the electronic kit does exactly the same as adjusting the s5.

• 6 years later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 8m 10d

While this mod might give longevity under higher power levels, I think you can have the best of both worlds.

My trans has had the line pressures turned up both in the tune and via the trans adjustment. We turned it up via trans adjustment until it was taking off in 2nd (too high line pressure) then backed it off a tad. It shifts very firm.

The biggest advantage I can see by utilising both the tune and adjustment on trans for line pressures is that via tune in auto mode you can back off line pressures for softer shifts and in tippy, the full wack is available. I never hammer my car unless I'm dictating the shifting.

It held 370rwkw for 2.5 years before having to do a freshen up by changing some clutches and we threw in some new torringtons while we were there. Sweet as bro.