Jump to content

15" wheels for xr6 turbo


Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South Coast NSW
Posted

They will fit the rear but will not clear the front calipers. I've seen 15" wheels with drag tyres fitted to a BA while at WSID one night.

  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 9d
Posted

Great news!!

Thought it could be done, but do you know where he got the rims from? I know the stud pattern had changer from the el to the au and newer. Do you know if the au come out with 15"s?

Thanks again for your help.

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 9m 14d
Posted (edited)

My mate had some 15inch 'chasers' that he had used on his TE50, we tried to put them on my mates BA XR6 Turbo (on the back for some private road use) and they were hitting the brake calipars, car wouldn't move with them on...

Edited by illusionzzz
  • some guy...
  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 15d
Posted

The Falcon stud pattern (5x114.3) hasn't changed since the XR. AU 15" steelies won't fit because BA brakes stick out more than AU brakes. Pre-AU alloys are supposed to fit due to higher clearance but that pushes them out just past the guards. This could be an issue if the car's lowered and/or on the road, because it wouldn't be legal.

Spacers on drag rims?! *shudder* Spacers are illegal for a reason, and I'd hate to think what would happen at the track if one gave way.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 11m 18d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: South Coast NSW
Posted
Great news!!

Thought it could be done, but do you know where he got the rims from? I know the stud pattern had changer from the el to the au and newer. Do you know if the au come out with 15"s?

Thanks again for your help.

No, the stud pattern hasn't changed - the offset has changed. AU/BA have 36mm offset. Pre AU have zero offset. Some pre AU (aftermarket widies) have 10mm offset. I don't know what wheels were on the BA but they were definitely 15" and they cleared the calipers easily from what I saw. If they were no more than 8" wide they could have been pre AU wheels with a 10mm offset and hence no problem at all with guard clearance - even zero offset 8" wide ones will fit inside the rear guard - but not on the front.

  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 6m 4d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: New Zealand
Posted

I have tried the 15 * 8 Performance Brand Mag wheels off my Escort on my XR (standard front brakes), and they fit. However - these wheels have a very good clearance for a 15 inch wheel.

The offset is way off though - stick out too far.

I only have a pic of the rear:

post-6309-1176193306_thumb.jpgpost-6309-1176193394_thumb.jpg

  • Former MPS3 Driver!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 7m 13d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: East Ballina NSW
Posted
:spoton: that's awesome....what a looker!!! now I know why 17's were standard
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 21y 2m 27d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Bendigo
Posted (edited)

If you use an aftermarket alloy wheel you have a good chance of making them fit, but if you use steel rims you will need to modify the caliper. I use 15inch widened stock el wheels on mine to drag but the calipers have been modified a fair bit on top of the caliper and I have taken a little out of the rim, all in all not recommended to do it, I wouldn;t spend 7 hrs doing it again

Edited by phase3ute
  • Member
  • Member For: 21y 6m 4d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: New Zealand
Posted
:censored: that's awesome....what a looker!!! now I know why 17's were standard

Yeh - well agreed on that. the car hadnt settled on its springs either - so it certainly looks dorky!

Look better on the Escort:

post-6309-1176199322_thumb.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...