Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 10m 11d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
LCD is better. Plasma runs on a gas which will deteriorate over time, this is why plasma tv's aren't warranted for great periods of time.

No technology product is warranted "for great periods of time". CRT's are incredibly reliable and while they're now becoming "old technology", the standard warranties are generally only 12 months, extended warranties not going beyond 3 - 5 years.

  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Firm Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 28d
  • Location: Adelaide Hills
Posted
Just my views but if anyone is interested I will try and take a photo and hope it comes out clear enough to show you the quality.

Yes please, a pic would be good.

l was in the local TV pimp shop on Saturday looking at a couple of DLP RPTV's made by LG and was very impressed. The trade off in pic quality over Plasma wasnt that great, but the bigger screen was awesome. The unit was ony 33cm deep too, so not intrusive at all. like you say one bulb to replace, $300 l think they said.

Early next year will be buying time for me :pinch:

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 21d
  • Location: Somewhere
Posted

Mondie,

I would agree with you except one important thing............

With a DLP projector, because it uses thousands of mirrors, 1 in 5 people can become succeptable to the 'flicker' effect which causes eye strain, headaches etc.....

The reason for this is that our eyes can pick up the color changes in the DLP projector no matter what speed they change in......the LCD projector does not have this issue....

As for brightness, this issue is all about lumens and the quality of your screen. Dependant on the size of your screen and the quality of your projector, you should aim for at least 1000+ lumens projector....the bigger the screen, the more lumens you will need. (Lumens was the old calculation using candles to determine light conditions. 1 Lumen = 1 candle)

If you wish to view it in daylight, you can get those screens with a slightly grey tinge to it thus brightning the color contrasts.......or pay extra money and get a better screen....

Personally I would stay away from any projector screen under $600 - $700.......

There is also a lot of Taiwanese and Chinese made screens sold under some of the big name brand. Do your research......

A typical one is from LP Morgan.......good brand and quality screens......however, their Grandview screens (sounds fancy) are made in China and the quality is crap......

All Screen Technics are made in OZ from America light reflective materials......

Now as for XBox etc........I have not yet had the chance to play this on the screen...

I do watch DVD's and Foxtel digital on a 6:1 JVC DTS Amp......followed by Bose (150 watts) speakers, Kef 100 (150 watt) centre speaker and a Velodyne CT120 (300 watt) Sub......followed in the rear by Dali (75 watts) sats.......all hooked up by Qudos cables and interconnects....

I then spent another $300 connecting TV, DVD, Video and Foxtel to the projector including SCART, Component etc .........blah blah blah....

Agree, it may not be as clear compaired to my 100hz 76 cm Loewe, but gee, it does a real good job and comes mighty close to Plasma.......and better then rear projector tv's.......

Anyway, my opinion........

:crybaby:

PS. I wonder if I can get this setup in the T??? :crybaby:

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 2m 26d
Posted
Yes please, a pic would be good.

l was in the local TV pimp shop on Saturday looking at a couple of DLP RPTV's made by LG and was very impressed. The trade off in pic quality over Plasma wasnt that great, but the bigger screen was awesome. The unit was ony 33cm deep too, so not intrusive at all. like you say one bulb to replace, $300 l think they said.

Early next year will be buying time for me

I will take someone tonight and have them ready very soon, But at the optimal distance, the picture is better than plasma I reckon. I collect DVDs so going to the movies is great now, especially when my frideg comes with me and my pillows and the MRS is left to do what she wants(wink wink).

  • Firm Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 28d
  • Location: Adelaide Hills
Posted
Mondie,

I would agree with you except one important thing............

With a DLP projector, because it uses thousands of mirrors, 1 in 5 people can become succeptable to the 'flicker' effect which causes eye strain, headaches etc.....

Hi Dutchie,

Does this apply to DLP RPTV's as well as projectors? Its a point to consider for sure

Thanks SBR :crybaby:

  • Member
  • Member For: 22y 5m 21d
  • Location: Somewhere
Posted

Hi Mondie,

I believe its the same for DLP TV's but won't put my life on it.........

The tiny mirrors seems to be the cause of al this from what I had read on the internet...

That was my main reason to go to an LCD projector........I already get enough migraines sitting in front of a computer writting programs day in day out......

What I would do before you buy is get the chance to sit in front of one for at least half an hour and see if you start to feel tired.......this is usually the first sign of the strain on the retina.......they become dilated and the blood vessals pump blood through them at an increased rate to cope the flickering of the color changes........

Really fascinating to read all this especially since I was ready to fork out $$$$'s .......

The salesman dont tell this sh*t to you probably cause they dont know.....it ws'nt until I got home that night and started my research like I always do before I purchase anything costing mega $$$$......

Anyway, hope this all helps......

Remember also that if it does not effect you and your family, it could effect friends you have round to watch the movies.........(something to consider anyway)....also remember it only effects around 1 in 5.....

ciao

dutchie

:crybaby:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 11m 2d
  • Location: Sydney
Posted
If you're going to buy a plasma you cant go past the new Hitachis they're 1,000,000 pixels as compared to 400,00 pixels that Samsung etc have and last 60,000 hours compared to 20,000-30,000 hours that the other brands have. I just bought the 42'' Hitachi and can't be happier. :spoton:

That's because they are interlaced panels. ALIS in the name of the tech and not progressive scan and as such suffers from image degredation.

As for CRT - it's outdated technology. The large 86cm units still pale in size, picture quality, resolution and weight to the plasma panels. On top of this you can get a plasma panel for a little over 1 grand more than one of these TVs.

  • Member
  • Member For: 23y 6m 11d
  • Location: Geelong
Posted
Hi Mondie,

I believe its the same for DLP TV's but won't put my life on it.........

The tiny mirrors seems to be the cause of al this from what I had read on the internet...

That was my main reason to go to an LCD projector........I already get enough migraines sitting in front of a computer writting programs day in day out......

What I would do before you buy is get the chance to sit in front of one for at least half an hour and see if you start to feel tired.......this is usually the first sign of the strain on the retina.......they become dilated and the blood vessals pump blood through them at an increased rate to cope the flickering of the color changes........

Really fascinating to read all this especially since I was ready to fork out $$$$'s .......

The salesman dont tell this sh*t to you probably cause they dont know.....it ws'nt until I got home that night and started my research like I always do before I purchase anything costing mega $$$$......

Anyway, hope this all helps......

Remember also that if it does not effect you and your family, it could effect friends you have round to watch the movies.........(something to consider anyway)....also remember it only effects around 1 in 5.....

ciao

dutchie

:aaggl:

I think it has more to do with the speed of the colour wheel, the earlier DLP,s had 2x speed colour wheels and most of the later ones have 3 or 5x speed which apparently vitually eliminates this "rainbow" effect or colour flashes. I saw a few colour flashes in the first 10 hrs of my DLP projector and then I didn't notice them at all any more, brain or eyes ignored or got used to them I guess, the rest of my family has never seen them nor have we ever had any headaches or fatigue in over 450hrs of viewing.

  • Firm Member
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 23y 10m 28d
  • Location: Adelaide Hills
Posted

Thanks guys,

More confused than ever, situation normal when it comes to Plasma and its alternatives :lol:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...