-
Posts
297 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Store
Everything posted by luke187
-
Is that swapping to an aftermarket ecu though? I just meant getting an ECU from one ba and running it in another. Im swapping a driveline from a stat writeoff and was hoping to swap the ecu from the engine in my car.
-
What issues are there when swapping ecus from another car? Is it just a case of swapping the ecus and getting ford to re-program it, as is done with the stereo, or is it more complex / I will lose functions on the car like smartshield or whatever its called now? Also will doing this write a default map to the ecu dropping the tune that's currently on it?
-
I guess it depends whats available and at what price. Am I willing to pay $950 for a new tank & fittings with a $200 pump? Not really. Why? Like I said there are just other areas id rather spend the money on when you start talking about a name and aesthetics on a part you really never see. Its different when it sits proud in the engine bay or a boot mounted tank which I wouldnt run. I have nothing against the tanks, or the companies that make them. Id happily have one in the car if I picked on up second hand for the right price. Ive got a PW plenum so again nothing against branded gear. I was just hoping someone made a good working pump/tank setup that skipped the majority of aesthetic design all the ford ones ive seen have in an effort to keep the costs down - no different to whats available for other cars. If not I'll see what I can get one made for or just sit on it till I find a second hand one, no biggy.
-
Since it was off a gold coast car, I thoguht first place to try would be MTA. Cant say enough about those guys, they went out of their way to help me identify it which I think is terrific seeing as though im not spending any money with them regarding this turbo Turns out it is one of their cores and front housing. Rear housing has been modified by someone else and still waiting to hear back about the wheel. Had some kinugawa feed lines and filter, also noticed they have a 6+6 3540 billet wheel so might be that one. Seems to be smaller at 61.3 where this one is somewhere near 63.5, my measurements are probably off but unless im measring at the wrong point they wont be off by 2-3mm,. It does seem to be 56 trim like theirs though, so that's where I get stuck.
-
All good I just wanted to see what else was out there. Might only be a few hundred but I can just think of other areas the money can go into over a surge tank, In all honestly its one of those things I care the least about outside of its functionality... Having said that it needs to function 100% so there needs to be a balance, hence the middle ground thing. With any luck I'll pick up a second hand one before the car is on the road and problem solved!
-
Fair enough, guess that's what I was hoping to find out. Surely though there must be a middle ground between the super trick looking $900/$1000+ jobbies and the dodgy sh*t. If I can find a functional setup even for $500 that's equivalent to 50% off vcm suite which right now ill happily take
-
Yeah my bad saw the pic of the process west submerged tank thinking it had a glass/perspex window on it but its just with the lid off. Regardless, im not trying to debate the validity and benefits of a $1000 surge tank, im asking what vehicle specific functional surge tanks are available for b series falcons in the sub $500 price range like are available for other cars.
-
Yeah I thought that and it is possible. The car was a pretty big budget build and even though people skimp on weird stuff sometimes I really dont think soemone would put a billet wheel on a china turbo. They're crap photos that dont show much, I'll get some better ones tomorrow and pull it off the manifold. Might be a label hidden under there, was just hoping someone say yeah that's a "ra ra such and such capable of 1000whp on 9psi and 98 with no lag". :D
-
Nothings wrong with them as such, I just havent seem them for those prices. Most are over 900 which looks real nice like the PW submerged pumps and window, I just have other priorities for the build right now. Ive seen vehcile specific bogandore ones for a few hundred minus pumps. I dont want to re-invent the wheel, I just want a functional one that isnt made bllet with viewing windows and what not. Its under the car, its hidden so for me I just need it to work.
-
Anyone using or seen "generic" surge tanks for a BA sedan. By generic I mean a no-name brand that isnt super expensive, looking around I havent been able to find anything. Id even be happy for a design which I can go get made. At this point in time im just after something that functions well rather than looks trick, especially considering its hidden under the car. Cheers
-
Looking for some help in identifying a turbo off an xr6. Dropped the front housing off and took some measurements but dont take them as gospel, could be a bit out. Appears to be a 6+6 blade billet 63.5mm 56 trim compressor (85mm exducer). CHRA has no "badge", compressor housing is a .7 with 4" inlet also unmarked. Rear housing looks like a stock ford with 38mm flapper and a coating of some sort. Hard to tell as its as new, unfortunately I cant get hold of the guy who owned the car it was on so any help would be appreciated. Have supplied some pics, they were just quickies on my phone - can get better ones if someone ask for something specific.
-
If you have rally experience id say not so much as hard but remembering it still demands respect. Lots of torque, lots of wheelspin, and if you have decent tyres it stil has lots of drive. It doesnt take long before youre going 120 130 which is more than enough for things to get nasty. Its pretty easy these days to say ahh its only 300rwkw such and such is pushing 400 as is his cousin. Ive owned some pretty quick import turbo cars and have raced things for over half my life and was still really surprised how quick my mates 300rwkw xr6 was. Before I drove it I dismissed it thinking big fat falcon with only 410rwhp, but that quickly dissipated the first time I rolled on the throttle coming onto the highway. He ended up selling the car to a guy I his early 20s, who found a tree to park it against after 3 weeks or so, so it does happen.
-
Hi all, just looking to get some feedback on peoples experience between a few different ways of doing a stereo install into a ba. All setups would be using a couple of amps, front and rear speakers and sub. None of the gear is top of the line stuff but its not cheapo gear either. First way would be use the standard ICC, install line level converters, bluetooth or aux kit Second source a premium ICC and do as above Third is use one of the dna adapters, and go aftermarket head unit. Concerns or questions I have with the first two options are audio quality. Running line level converters, is there any drop in audio quality over the aftermarket head unit option? Also jaycar vs expensive converters - I seem to read they are as good as each other, and you get what you pay for. Anyone with personal experience between the two? Running line level converters and aftermarket speakers/amp, is there any advantage in audio quality running the premium ICC? What is the clearance like using a dna adapter/aftermarket head unit using a 6sp manual? I mean any issues at all driving hard/at the track etc. Finally if I do chose to go with an aftermarket head unit, can the old stereo including buttons/controls be removed from the ICC and have something else put in its place? Cheers Luke
-
Any pics yet? Looks awesome already...
-
Very nice, especially on 17psi. What are the specs of your engine, and as above what clutch are you running?
-
Thanks guys, less choices means less umming and arring . Time to go read up.
-
Hi all, Just doing some research into self tuning options for the xr6. From what ive briefly been told on AFF, VCM suite, Sniper Box, and Flash2. Just looking for some opinions on what people have used, if there is much difference between them, and what they'd recommend. The engine is going into an xf so will need to be able to disable the security functions on the ecu and initially things like cruise and traction control. Cheers
The home of XR6 Turbo enthusiasts for over 23 years. Join a passionate community dedicated to the Ford XR6 Turbo and FPV legacy. From builds and tech talk to events and classifieds – it’s all here.