Jump to content

Phoon Hoon

Member
  • Posts

    156
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Phoon Hoon

  1. Thanks, M. Let me know how it goes.
  2. Agreed. We have the technology... DO IT!
  3. They said, too, that the temperature was 35 degrees when they were tested... this would supposedly affect the turbos more than the n/a engines. Adds even more success to the 100km/h and ¼ mile results for the mighty turbos!
  4. You've obviously never driven a Phoon... Anyway, this isn't a T Vs Phoon thread, it's a "Let's Celebrate a Huge Result for All of Us" thread!
  5. Hi all I read this on another forum, so you're hearing it second hand from me... In the latest MOTOR magazine there was an Australian PCOTY. It pitted the F6, Clubbie DTS, XR6T (Man and auto), SS, XR8, and GT against one another. 1st Place - Typhoon 2nd Place - XR6T (auto) 3rd Place - XR6T (manual) Can anyone confirm these results?
  6. Mate, really sad to hear of your misfortune. I'd be p1ssed off as well. You're OK and that's the main thing. Your 'T' will be as good as new in no time. Best of luck!
  7. My second car is an AUIII SR. It has FPV number plate covers. Does this make it a tranny?
  8. Yeah - it's a good drive, hey? So do you run the road between BB and Braidwood?
  9. Hey Zap I had my Phoon delivered on the 16th January. Have also had the call from FPV, but still awaiting my pack. I had to ring FPV again about 2 weeks agao when I changed my licence plate (to personalised plates) and he said someone from FPV would call me re the pack. I had a missed call on my mobile from 133FPV, but no contact yet. Maybe we should do the defensive driving course on the same day together?
  10. I heard too, that FPV did a lot of work to improve the NVH in the BF. Apparently a much quieter (in a good way - less rattles and road noise) ride in the BF. Having said that, I haven't driven a BA and BF back to back to compare them.
  11. Give them the auto. Better car and no clutch!
  12. The blonde "assistant" wasn't bad on the eye, either! The female one, I mean!
  13. Hiddeous, it also says it has FPV87 plates. Definate Tranny. But wait, there's more. In the "safety features" it quotes... Back seat safety belts. WOW, MAN. Awesome features. Gimmee, gimmee, GIMMMMEEE!
  14. That is one ugly mofo. I hate commonwhores. Then again, the red abomination in the background is just as bad. More trannies than you'd find at the Sydney mardi gras.
  15. Hey - I agree!!
  16. Don't do it man. That'd be like breaking the doodle off the statue of David. The Phoon is a work of art... leave well enough alone!
  17. Not a good pic. Scanned from the newspaper...
  18. That's what was happening to mine, Zap. Check to make sure that the clamp holding your hose to the intercooler is tight. Once this was remedied, my boost needle went through the guage!!
  19. Well said, Zap. I think the interior is really classy. Beautifully trimmed!
  20. Do you mean stock or modded?
  21. I was always going to buy the XR6T and then the Phoon came out. I purchased it for all the reasons explained above, plus I wanted something unique. XR6's (especially N/A ones) are a dime a dozen.... Don't get me wrong, folks, I love the 'T', but I just wanted something different.
  22. Some questions about my car. 1. The engine seems to run relatively hot. The temperature guage is usually just under half way. On hot days, it touches the half way mark. Is this normal? 2. The standard Dunlops don't seem to be the best... does anyone else concur? 3. My fuel consumption is lousy! Can I expect it to improve as the engine beds itself in? (I have currently done about 4,000km). If so, how many k's will I need on the clock before I see an improvement? 4. The manual Phoon has a rev alert that tells you when to change gear. I read in the book that this can be turned off at a Ford service centre if requested. Is it possible, therefore, to turn this feature ON in an auto, so that when you are driving in manual mode you get the rev alert (I've accidentally hit the rev limiter a few times when changing manually)??? Thanks for any assistance
  23. Hi all Have just returned from a car cruise over the weekend with a mate who owns a new HSV Clubbie. We live in south-west Sydney. Went through Mittagong and down to Kangaroo Valley, then across to Berri and south to Bateman’s Bay for lunch at the Golf Club. We then went to Braidwood (had a beer at the hotel) and onto Queanbeyan, where we stayed the night. Home the next day after a photo shoot at the Lake George lookout. Besides being a great trip, it was a good chance to compare the two cars – some similarities and many differences. We had a period of time (about 100km) where we swapped cars. I can’t talk much about 0-100 accelleration, but the two cars are probably about the same. The area where my auto Phoon kills the clubbie is on rolling acceleration. When we were overtaking other cars (launching from about 100km/hr) I left him for dead. This was really noticeable through the drive from Bateman’s Bay to Braidwood. An awesome drive – about 60km of good quality, up and down winding road with enough straights to get the power down effectively. Scott led the way and coming out of corners on full acceleration, I needed to stop and slow down for fear of ramming him up the back! He said the same thing when we swapped cars – the Typhoon’s engine/auto combination ensured brilliant, efficient powerdown that the Clubbie couldn’t match. Driving the two cars, one after the other, made the differences really apparent. The FPV was much smoother, quieter and seemed more solid on the road. The HSV was noisier, didn’t seem as well balanced and less responsive with higher speed accelleration. I must confess, my lack of experience with the Clubbie 6 speed manual might be partly to blame for this. Countering this, however, was the confession from Scott that he felt the same! I must also say that the Clubbie’s tyres were better than my standard Dunlops. Has anyone else found this? Also, the Clubbie killed my car for fuel economy. Over a 700km trip, the C/S managed 10.9L/100km, whereas my Phoon only returned figures of 13.1!! I’m hoping that this will improve when my engine beds in. I’ve only done 4,000km in mine – The HSV had 18,000kms on it. As a side light, when we were at Lake George, an American tourist and his wife stopped as well. He saw my car and said that it was the best car he’d ever seen! I showed him inside and he even took video footage of the engine and interior to show his mates!! Said many people would kill for one of these in the States! I have included a photo at the Lake George lookout. Hope you enjoyed this read. Clayton http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1148/lg8yu.jpg
  24. Awesome. Adds credibility to the 5.3 I mentioned in another thread... Now we just need Motor Mag to pull a 13.1 to make it "official" for all those non-believers (read Expensive Daewoo supporters) out there.
  25. Sorry for the delay. Here 'tis: Carsguide.com.au FPV F6 Typhoon Engine: Turbocharged 4.0L straight six Power: 270kW at 5,250rpm. 550Nm at 2,000-4,250rpm Times: 0-100km/h in 5.3 secs Price: from $59,810 Ford Performance Vehicles turbocharged F6 Typhoon has got to be the best car yet to emerge from the go-fast division. Forget the more fancied GT – it may have the name and the V8 – but in every other department the turbocharged straight six has the drop on the old campaigner. It’s that good. If Ford could just find a way of engineering in that lovely V8 burble it would be game, set and match. FPV would be the first to admit that that the original Typhoon was a bit rough and ready, with its share of controversial teething troubles – that “clutch” springs to mind. But they are all long behind it. The latest BF model, especially with the new ZF six-speed auto transmission, is an absolute gem – a revelation in terms of performance and economy. Drive the two cars back to back as we were able to do and the difference becomes obvious in the first five minutes. They’re chalk and cheese. The GT feels heavy under the hand and a little slow to respond to the throttle, more of a sleeping giant ready to wake, with a real wind up and launch feel. The Typhoon on the other hand, feels lighter, smoother and more agile (more comfortable, too), with a lithe athletic step – the turbo on a short fuse just waiting to ignite at the touch of the accelerator. At $59,810 for the Typhoon versus $62,210 for the GT, with the six speed auto a $1,250 option on both, it becomes difficult to justify the extra cost of the V8, particularly when the Typhoon develops more torque than the GT and does so lower in the rev range. After all, that’s what the V8 is supposed to do, isn’t it? The Typhoon’s turbocharged 4.0 litre six generates 270kW of power and 550Nm of torque compared to the GT’s 290kW and 520Nm (but torque kicks in at 2000rpm compared to the GT’s 4,500rpm). When you look at the specs, the Typhoon is 50kg lighter at 1,805 versus 1855kg. But with the larger, heavier V8 sitting over the front wheels, the GT feels much heavier and slower to turn. In terms of performance, both are very quick cars, but the turbo is quicker. In automatic form, the GT will spring from 0-100km/h under 6 seconds but, in our tests, the Typhoon shaves that time to just 5.3 seconds. In terms of economy, the V8 is good for 15.0 litres/100km in automatic form, while the Typhoon comes in better again with 13.0 litres/100km. It should be noted that, regardless of which one you choose, both use premium unleaded petrol. The auto is a much better proposition for daily driving, especially in city traffic. You still get performance mode and, with six gears, changing manually is a whole lot more interesting – almost as good, dare we say, as the manual. A revised version of the Brembo brake package previously standard on the GT-P and Super Pursuit, is standard on the GT and Typhoon. The system employs four-piston front calipers and single piston rears, with 355mm discs front and 328mm back. On a final note, there are some differences in the way the two cars are equipped. The GT gets 19-inch alloys, standard with 245/35 Dunlop SP9000 rubber, while the Typhoon receives slightly taller 18 inch 245/40 SP9000s. But we’d shell out the extra for the stunning 19-inch wheels as fitted to our test car, which are another $2,400. Typhoon also gets a smeller rear wing and single exhaust system.
×
×
  • Create New...