-
Posts
211 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Store
Everything posted by Ezy10z
-
Personally I would just keep the final drive ratio standard. Judging by the times and terminal speed done by a T fitted with the stage 3 kit I dont see any purpose in changing the final drive ratio. I'd think you should be able to pull at least 125mph ++ comfortably in fourth gear especially with the taller drag tyres which seems perfect for the 1/4.
-
Personally I would just use the single turbo setup. It's not to hard to get 300kw@ rear wheels out of a VL on premium unleaded. I would suggest to your friend to get the factory inlet manifold / plenum power ported so theirs even flow for all cylinders and also gives a good increase in hp. I would also power port the factory exhaust maniold and the comp cover of the standard turbo. If you do this and fit a 3" mandrel exhaust, and possibly fit a bigger turbo or modify the factory turbo to t3/t4 specs. I think a unichip would be recommended as well. Modifying a VL using power porting it can be very cost effective. If you interested in the power porting or would like to find out more about it you can contact ATS (Australian Turbo Sales) in Tullamarine as they are one of the workshops that can do the power porting.
-
Nizpro were able to build a RB26 using an RB30 block to achieve 800hp using premium unleaded and to think the T motor is 4 litres and twin cam and with much more torque maybe 900hp ++ using premium unleaded and driveable on the street is realistic. It will be interesting to see the developments in the next 6 months or so.
-
Keir Wilsons GTR can do mid to low 9's and runs on premium unleaded. Their was a brief mention at the fullBOOST website during the results of a meet at Heathcote park. I believe at the time it was dynoed at 640hp@rear wheels.
-
Peter, I've always been curious about the terminal speed recorded by the correveit timing gear as used by motor etc. With your stage 2 kit they recorded 190kph terminal speed for the 1/4 but the CV XR6T recorded a terminal speed of 178kph although the times are similar. Is it possible that correveit timing gear records a higher speed. I know this question is really unrelated but I was just curious and thought you might be able to provide an answer. Another reason I'm curious about this is when I raced the WRX at Calder it had 30 extra APS kw's and it also recorded a good level of hp for a standard MY99 on your dyno. Although the rex was almost one second faster than a standard WRX the terminal speed was the same as that recorded by motor for a standard my99. Thanks.
-
The VL Late model camira had the turbo option available to the SL, Berlina and Calais.
-
Since the recent meet at Calder where the APS ute's auto was destroyed, Peter is currently in the process of new R & D for another upgrade for the auto. Although the current upgrade was good for around 400kw@rear wheels it's a fare assumption the next upgrade should surpass that figure. In one of his recent posts he mentioned he will provide new information once the new parts for the upgrade have been tested and he has more technical information and reliability.
-
I think common questions amongst car enthusiasts would be , how can I go faster ??? , how can I get more power ????? I think we're very lucky to have someone like Peter who offers advice and technical informatoin to get more grunt of a T and do it reliably and cost effective. This forum is fortunate to have someone with a wealth of knowledge and experience in this area to answer our questions. As always a big thumbs up to Peter for his help and professionalism.
-
if the manufacturer says 15000km on a stock engine ... then that's what I do if I beef up the stock power by 50%, then I reduce to the service interval accordingly to 10000km .... by 100% then 7500km .. etc etc not based on anything ... like most things in life :lol: Every turbo charged car I've owned I changed the oil and filter every 5000 and sometimes every 2500.
-
Peter has provided a huge amount of technical information about their kits for the T and also answered many questions and responded to critercisms in a very professional manner even when the integrity of APS have been questioned. Usually Peter will be hesistant in providing new information about a product or modification until he feels APS has completed the research and development so accurate and reliable data can be provided.
-
Of course Peter / APS can do dual maps, and has already mentioned the Unichip can do this in some of his posts. There is no way Peter is saying he cant do dual maps, or saying APS are unable to do this he suggested the switch in the engine bay as one of the simple options, also it was just a brief suggestion and not the only solution. I dont think APS need to prove anything, because they have already demonstrated their expertise and you also have to think that Peter has had 20 years experience in the design and design of engine management.
-
APS have been testing a lot of auto upgrades on the T's and I think it took around 450kw@rear wheels before the auto suffered any damage. Maybe you should give Peter a call or Rainor and see what they suggest.
-
I suppose a solution would be to have a hi / lo boost control system. But I think the Unichip only has one setting and can only be adjusted via laptop I maybe wrong. I know the unichip can store two igntion / fuel maps. Maybe they could set up some kind of setup for you so u can have the boost around 3-4 pound when your parents drive and another setting for the higher boost and aggressive MAP. Peter mentioned that cars fitted with the Unichip and NOS that went the NOS is used the unichip switches to the second MAP. When you think of that maybe they could use a pressure switch or something to detect when theirs high boost and change the MAP for the boost.
-
think Steve has video footage of the 14.3@132mph and in the process of getting the analogue footage to PC format so it can be viewed to prove he did the run. Maybe he didnt keep the time slip but when you think about it 14.3@132mph is realistic. I've seen cars do 10.5@105mph and although that seems strange with the low terminal speed the reason being in the run after half track a low 9 sec car didnt accelerate after half track. It's the same when a 9sec car has huge amounts of wheelspin and runs a really slow time but huge mph. But when it's a competitive issue and we must admit it's good to have verification if you intend to break a record or claim a title of some sort.
-
Hey Peter, You have a twin turbo LS1 to play with ? Sounds totally awesome and what horsepower figures do you have for that ? Or is it in house secret at the moment ? Cheers.
-
When my dad bought his WRX back in ' 99 ' as both of us were car enthusiasts especially with turbocharging we eagerly seached for workshops who provide WRX performance modifications and because at the time we didnt really know much about the REX etc. I must admitt both myself and my dad have had negative experiences with other workshops and was totally awestruck at the professionalism and expertise demonstrated by APS towards their customers and of course their Research & Development as well. Because of this our experience with APS mod's over the last 2 years or so have been 100% trouble free and enjoyable. I regulary browse the APS website always look forward to reading about their latest developments especially since current trends in factory ECU's and engine design are so technogically advanced and make it difficult for modfications. Although this is a trend growing by car manufacturers APS are leading the way in providing affordable and most importantly reliable performance modifications to their customers and have the expertise to handle the most technogically advanced vehicles. To think that APS have developed their phase 3 kit for the T which will be EPA legal is totally awesome and very impressive and first to do so. And to think of the time and effort, and financial investment required for such a task shows that APS have the resources, expertise and man power to handle even the most technogical of challenges.
-
What an awesome looking machine, definitely look's more grunty than a clubsport.
-
What I would suggest is take a good look at the inlet manifold and see if you can find a connection where you might be able to install a T piece for your boost gauge. I think if you install it directly from the inlet manifold you should have no problem getting a vacuum reading and positive boost pressure.
-
Dynosteve, What you need to do is install a video capture card to your PC like the Pinnacle card I mentioned, you can purchase it from Harvey Norman and look for the pinnacle brand with a cost aroud $150. The cable you use to connect your handy cam to your VHS well you use this to connect your handycam to the video capture card and line in port of your soundcard on your pc. Once you've done that you can either use the moviemaker program that comes with XP or software provided with the capture card to capture the footage from the handycam. It sounds a bit complicated but it's quite easy to do once the capture card is installed etc. I hope this helps.
-
Dynosteve, If you want to convert your video camera footage to PC format you'll need a video capture card. I'm not sure if you video camera is digital or analogue but either way you'll need a video capture card. The price of these range anything from $100 - $400 ++. I use a pinnacle capture card that cost around $150 which is used for analogue cameras and the video quality when captured is quite good and also comes with a remote control. I hope this helps.
-
I think it would be interesting to see the time slip. I think myself and many other members would be curious to see the 60ft time, half track time and speed and looking at that information can give you insight into the potential of Dynosteves T with a good sold run for the quarter.
-
APS
-
APS did 11.34@125mph before trashing the trans, they also recorded a terminal speed as high as 127mph as well. Nizpro only managed to do one pass with a time in the 12's @105mph.
-
Mate if your wrx was so good why did you get a a Late model camira or Ford You drove your rex's hard but never experienced clutch or gearbox problems :o Best advice I can give you is to get your hand off it I think it really depends on how harsh you treat the driveline, and even if the gearbox and diff are strong if you abuse it this will lead to breakage. The APS T fitted with a 5 speed has done over 50,000km's and done with a lot of R & D with high horsepower. WRX's are known for there weak gearbox but each model since it's first release was improved, I know for a fact 2nd gear was strengthened by Subaru right up until the MY99 I'm not sure if this continued after this model but I'm sure Ford will fix the teething problems for the T. My dad owns a my99 and had it since new and has some modifications performed by APS it's done 35,000km's and still has the standard clutch and no problems with the gearbox. I've heard stories of the standard clutch in Subies only lasting 10,000km's or much less and blowing gearboxes, but if you launch at 6000rpm at every set of traffic lights it's bound to break something. We've raced it at Calder and it's driven very hard and still going strong and never experienced any problems at all. I'm sure this will happen with the T as well and will be interesting to see what improvements will be made by ford. By the way I dont think Subies are that small my dad is 6'1 and around 100kg I'm a similar size and fit ok, but I guess compared to the T there small.
-
Hi Peter I was curious to know if the ute was running more boost or any other changes you may have done to the ute besides removing the tail gate. Although the tailgate does weigh 20kg I think it's a fare comment to say the improved time was attributed to fine tuning and development you've done and the great setup of your phase 3 kit and not because of the minor weight reduction. You had a head wind last Friday how did the weather compare to last week besides the obvious rain later in the night ? In one of your posts you mentioned you are considering changing the gearing to allow more speed in 3rd gear , have you considered either putting a lower diff ratio so you can get more use out of 4th gear ? or possibly increasing the rev limit ? Also I've noticed with your 60ft times from last Friday they were just on 2 seconds or barely under it , and I'm assuming the big falcon is having problems with wheel spin or it needs to get going before it can hawl that 1800kg ++ Anyway awesome effort with the 11.36@126mph and it would have been interesting to see the times for the Nizpro falcon but like you said theirs always next Friday.
The home of XR6 Turbo enthusiasts for over 23 years. Join a passionate community dedicated to the Ford XR6 Turbo and FPV legacy. From builds and tech talk to events and classifieds – it’s all here.