How Much Kw Can A Stock I/C Cope With ?

gazman1968

• Member For: 14y 4m

I'M ON A BUDGET, AT WHAT POINT DO YOU really HAVE TO UPGRADE YOUR FACTORY INTERCOOLER. I HAVE A tERRITORY tURBO I UNDERSTAND THAT THE FACTORY I/c ON tt IS BETTER THAN ON A fALC ? So same should apply. I am chasing around 350 engine KW. with suggested mods (100 cell Cat, debung exhaust, Injectors ? and rtetune my generic X3 TUNER)

Cheers

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 27d

I have k&n filter, fpv cooler, stock injectors, center muffler removed...

I am making 280+rwkw (330-340 engine) on gas with standard valve springs...

Assuming you have injectors, muffler removed, k&n filter... You should get there... Injectors and valve springs usually limit you from getting 300+rwkw...

Maybe do the cat as well. The cooler will flow enough for 350kw, but it won't do it consistently as they suffer from heatsoak...

Seriously though... Forget about figures... Do injectors, cat, muffler, filter and tune... You won't look back!!!

Oh and iridium WRX plugs... They are pregapped to .8mm... Perfect for some extra boost...

• A much better forum
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 27d

Don't think they will fit a TT... They have IC on top of engine don't they???

• Member For: 18y 9m 30d

from my research on the TT, injectors, tune, debung and a second air intake will get between 230-260awkw. The AWD saps a little more power from the wheels then usual RWD. XR6Ts will generally get more then 270rwkw with injectors, tune, air intake and cat. From what I've read, doing the cat will not give a big increase in power, dump/cat will help though. I've got exhaust debunged and second air intake, and I'll be getting tune and injectors tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it all goes. I've also read that the input shaft struggles with power at 300awkw, doing the intercooler as well as the other mods will see you hit 300awkw or close enough to it..

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 16d

with standard intercoolers its not about the amount of kw it can handle but how much boost you can push through them, which = kw.

how much boost an intercooler can handle will vary on a number of things, the biggest 1 is intake temperatures. the cooler the intake temperatures, the more timing the tuner can put in and the more power you are going to make..

with a turbo territory I would be pissing off the factory top mount intercooler and replacing it with a front mount intercooler kit. might seem like an expensive excersise but well worth it in the long run.

• Member For: 18y 9m 30d

with standard intercoolers its not about the amount of kw it can handle but how much boost you can push through them, which = kw.

how much boost an intercooler can handle will vary on a number of things, the biggest 1 is intake temperatures. the cooler the intake temperatures, the more timing the tuner can put in and the more power you are going to make..

with a turbo territory I would be pissing off the factory top mount intercooler and replacing it with a front mount intercooler kit. might seem like an expensive excersise but well worth it in the long run.

withstupid.gif all the really quick shopping trolleys run FMIC's. Far more efficient .

Forget Wog and F6 coolers IMO

I agree with both of you, and if the drive train was proven to handle 300awkw I'd be getting rid of the top mount straight away. I guess it depends on how far you want to go, who knows, down the track I might end up doing it. For now though, I need to look after the drive train!

I can't speak for the OP, but by the sounds of it he'd rather not spend on an intercooler upgrade if it's not required. I don't think it's required if you're happy to sit on 10-12psi and ~240awkw.. If you want more then that, and are prepared to risk the drive train then I'd go a front mount set up for sure!

• Member For: 14y 4m

Hi Jimmy thanks for your info. I assume you have a TT as well ? I am interested in how your tune goes. I am looking into a water to air intercooler from the states. The I/C will actually fit where my factory I/C sits so will have ultra short length between turbo and intake. Am I able to fit 60 lbs Dekas prior to getting tune done (ie I fit up and drive down to tune, save a few install bucks) Cheers