Trumpy What's happening? Legacy Donating Member 1,605 Member For: 23y 10m 5d Gender: Male Location: Steel City, NSW Posted 02/04/04 11:56 AM Posted 02/04/04 11:56 AM Those that are having problems with the 5-3 shift, how many Ks have you got on the box? Reason I ask is that I have no problems with this shift, with 46000km on the car now.This probably comes down to 2 things. 1- the box loosening up considerably, and 2-driver getting used to the box.Having said that, when I need to go back to third, I usually go through 4th as mentioned originally by wbt56, as it just seems more natural for the box.
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 8d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 02/04/04 12:12 PM Author Posted 02/04/04 12:12 PM Those that are having problems with the 5-3 shift, how many Ks have you got on the box? Reason I ask is that I have no problems with this shift, with 46000km on the car now.This probably comes down to 2 things. 1- the box loosening up considerably, and 2-driver getting used to the box.Having said that, when I need to go back to third, I usually go through 4th as mentioned originally by wbt56, as it just seems more natural for the box. Trumpy- I have just under 6000km and have major probs with the change (cant do iT) I normally go through 4th as well... on the rare occasion I want to go straight to third I cant.My brother has 10000km on his box... he can down change in this manner...even when his car is standing in the garage (turned off) and he flicks the stick out of fifth, it will line up with 3rd and fourth... and can push the stick into either gear.when my car is standing in the garage (turned off) and I flick it out of fifth, my stick gets stuck between third and fifth and does not line up the way it should...I have tried to mention from as early as my first post that my problem is evident although I am not driving... Is this what everyone else has too??
crisso . Legacy Donating Member 1,199 Member For: 22y 10m 24d Location: Sydney Posted 02/04/04 09:09 PM Posted 02/04/04 09:09 PM 9000 clicks on mine and yep, 5-3rd is as jetute has mentioned...as I have prev. mentioned though, I just go through 4th, find plenty of acceleration from forth to suit my driving style :banghead: don't normally get into fifth until I am breaking the speed limit anyway ... on a private road of course.C
jetute Legacy Donating Member 4,553 Member For: 22y 8m 8d Gender: Male Location: brisbane Posted 02/04/04 10:32 PM Author Posted 02/04/04 10:32 PM is it possible for someone to do the test without actually driving?? just hop in your car wack it into fifth and flick it back out... want to see if your stick lines up with the axis for 3rd and 4th... or does it get stuck b4 it lines up.... no need to turn the car on or to go for a drive.. :banghead:
crisso . Legacy Donating Member 1,199 Member For: 22y 10m 24d Location: Sydney Posted 03/04/04 01:54 AM Posted 03/04/04 01:54 AM is it possible for someone to do the test without actually driving?? same result mate!
jimmyboy Member 152 Member For: 23y 2m 20d Posted 03/04/04 01:45 PM Posted 03/04/04 01:45 PM My box lines up perfectly, I have 24k on the car and not 1 problem with the box.
Guest Basher_tsv Guests Posted 04/04/04 02:12 AM Posted 04/04/04 02:12 AM No problems from 5th to 3rd that I can feel - maybe a little tight ..I do get a crunch from 4th to 5th at most speedsunless I take it very slow and push it slowly .... is this bad ?I see it that I only use 5th when cruising and I am never "racing" to get into 5th ... otherwise - hang on!B
KEN 24T Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky Member 7,371 Member For: 23y 3m 9d Gender: Male Location: The Shire, Middle Earth Posted 04/04/04 04:32 AM Posted 04/04/04 04:32 AM I take it very slow and push it slowly .... is this bad ? Not from where I'm sitting ...
XR6TOLDIE Member 37 Member For: 22y 8m 10d Location: Brisbane Posted 05/04/04 05:21 AM Posted 05/04/04 05:21 AM Tried it whilst doing approx 65Kph and it worked OKIt did however take longer than if I went from 5-4-3 as it felt very un-natural to change back in this manner IMHO.I am also still getting used to driving a manual after 25 years of Autos
WBT56 Mal Wood Automotive Member 457 Member For: 23y 11m 2d Gender: Male Posted 05/04/04 07:31 AM Posted 05/04/04 07:31 AM I must say I really don't understand this need to skip downshift. T will go second to fourth, but that is about the only skip shift it will not baulk at. Coming back from fifth, what speed are you downshifting at? The gate interlock plate in a T5 is angle cut to allow smoothness from fourth to fifth. If you go from fifth to third you are going around the sharp edge of this cut and the stick will tend to catch on the lip. You should find that if you depress the clutch and go from fifth to fourth to third and then let the clutch out, this will still be a quicker shift than fifth to third. Ben.I realise what you are saying but if I happen to get stuck behind a truck on a two lane highway slowing down to 8okmh, and I see a gap in the fast lane which is travelling at 100kmh... I should be able to bang my car into third without going into fourth so that I can comfortably and safely make this gap.... I have driven many a car b4 and never had to worry about whether it is safe or not for me to change lanes.. I would have looked at this a different way. You should not be in fifth at 80km/h. If you downshift to an appopriate gear, then the gear for the overtaking is only one gear away. Just a thought. Ben.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now