Trumpy What's happening? Legacy Donating Member 1,605 Member For: 23y 9m 26d Gender: Male Location: Steel City, NSW Posted 24/03/04 11:02 PM Posted 24/03/04 11:02 PM Found this link on the LS1.com.au website.http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=237137&perpage=20&pagenumber=2Its a link to a camaro board in the US.Apparently a UK based company has come up with a revolutionary shift design that allows gearchanges in zero milliseconds, both up and down the box.ZeroShiftCertainly is an interesting read, as it looks like it is compatible with existing T5 and T56 gearboxes design. Alot of hype from the ZeroShift rep in the Camaro thread, but the link to the Autocar test pdf at the top of Pg 2 (linked page) certainly sounds like they believe it.Interesting read anyway
KEN 24T Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky Member 7,371 Member For: 23y 3m Gender: Male Location: The Shire, Middle Earth Posted 24/03/04 11:45 PM Posted 24/03/04 11:45 PM Good read, thanks Trumpy.
sykes Member 408 Member For: 23y 1m 12d Location: Brisbane (Parkinson) Posted 25/03/04 12:07 AM Posted 25/03/04 12:07 AM Sounds pretty good. Like to see one in action. I wonder if there is any Australian distributors for them yet?
turbotom Team Bute Legacy Donating Member 1,550 Member For: 23y 2m 15d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 25/03/04 12:11 AM Posted 25/03/04 12:11 AM Interesting read.....Can anyone remember the continuously variable ratio gearboxes first used in F1 back in the 70's I think. In simple terms, the gearbox had two drums connected via a belt drive.Both the primary drive drum and the driven drum could vary their diameter. (in opposite directions) and hence vary the overall drive to the rear wheels.Motor speed could remain within a very narrow, highly tuned peaky power band, and the gearbox would vary the ratio accordingly to provide maximum power transfer.It was extremely successful in F1 in the wet, where the optimum power rpm could be maintained, and ratio varied automatically to maintain tractionIt was outlawed soon after, and if I can wake up a few more dormant neurons, I think it was available in a Wankel Rotary powered NSU Ro80 . Ideal for vehicles with narrow power bands.
HellionXR6T I'm Back!! Thats right, long over due! :) Legacy Donating Member 4,348 Member For: 23y 10m 26d Gender: Male Location: West Brisbane Posted 25/03/04 12:17 AM Posted 25/03/04 12:17 AM Now all I need is a time machine,oh and some of that stuff, I think they call it money.AWESOME read Trumpy, thanks heaps. The future is promising.
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 4d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 25/03/04 12:24 AM Posted 25/03/04 12:24 AM Can anyone remember the continuously variable ratio gearboxes first used in F1 back in the 70's I think. In simple terms, the gearbox had two drums connected via a belt drive.Both the primary drive drum and the driven drum could vary their diameter. (in opposite directions) and hence vary the overall drive to the rear wheels.I find this really funny! One of the ride on mower brands I sell use the same system. Very simple, but very strong, reliable and cheap to repair.The article is very interesting! Are there any tranny experts that would like to comment on what they think.
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 13d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 25/03/04 01:25 AM Posted 25/03/04 01:25 AM How long before you get one Brian?! :lol:
Antisocial Weird Member Member 1,347 Member For: 23y 7m 27d Location: ACT Posted 25/03/04 06:04 AM Posted 25/03/04 06:04 AM Can anyone remember the continuously variable ratio gearboxes first used in F1 back in the 70's I think. In simple terms, the gearbox had two drums connected via a belt drive.Both the primary drive drum and the driven drum could vary their diameter. (in opposite directions) and hence vary the overall drive to the rear wheels.Motor speed could remain within a very narrow, highly tuned peaky power band, and the gearbox would vary the ratio accordingly to provide maximum power transfer.It was extremely successful in F1 in the wet, where the optimum power rpm could be maintained, and ratio varied automatically to maintain tractionIt was outlawed soon after, and if I can wake up a few more dormant neurons, I think it was available in a Wankel Rotary powered NSU Ro80 . Ideal for vehicles with narrow power bands.Back in fashion again, I think Renault or Citroen and Nissan use it in some of their small cars (less than 1.5L) and call it CVT Continiously Variable Transmission
Guest underpsi Guests Posted 25/03/04 11:36 AM Posted 25/03/04 11:36 AM I think that box is awesome, I can see it being used in ralley or F1, but you will always have the boys that prefer to "row their own", with a standard stick box. I myself being one of them, something about the perfect power shift, while drag racing, that I can't get enough of.
Trumpy What's happening? Legacy Donating Member 1,605 Member For: 23y 9m 26d Gender: Male Location: Steel City, NSW Posted 29/09/05 03:00 AM Author Posted 29/09/05 03:00 AM Another story from Racecar Engineering has been put on the web. This one seems to have alot more info on how the Zeroshift works, with diagrams explaining how concept does what it does. Very interesting read.http://www.zeroshift.com/pdf/RcarN6V15_Zeroshift.pdfDiscuss.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now