Rive_mk2 Member 62 Member For: 7y 11m 28d Posted 11/04/23 01:10 AM Posted 11/04/23 01:10 AM Hey guys, just looking to get some input on what people’s thoughts are on the necessity of a fan on external trans cooler? Would they be still worth doing without the fan? And do a good job of keeping the trans cool? I’m not looking to push heaps of power, like 330rwks, would one without a fan still be a good option? Just got quoted 740 fitted and supplied for a derale trans cooler.. any info would be good. Obviously a fan would be ideal but they’re quite expensive, plus I’d have to pay to get it fitted.. thanks.
El Andrew Legacy Donating Member 2,040 Member For: 11y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Canberra ACT Posted 11/04/23 02:46 AM Posted 11/04/23 02:46 AM Depends what you are doing with the car - but I've got an 88 thermo switch on my ZF cooler fan and it almost never comes on. I'd say the cooler inside the front bar does a pretty decent job without a fan. And you are right - a lot more mucking around to mount a fan to the cooler and wire everything up.
Rive_mk2 Member 62 Member For: 7y 11m 28d Posted 11/04/23 03:52 AM Author Posted 11/04/23 03:52 AM Just daily the car man, nothing crazy. Got quoted the 740 today supplied and fitted, I’d be looking at 7-900 for one with a fan then would have to pay for labour after that, that’s why I was wondering. And the zf doesn’t come stock with a fan, only trying to avoid the milkshake, not doing to get a fan lol so you think it wouldn’t be a silly decision to go without fan? Thanks man.
El Andrew Legacy Donating Member 2,040 Member For: 11y 5m 7d Gender: Male Location: Canberra ACT Posted 11/04/23 04:22 AM Posted 11/04/23 04:22 AM Yep I reckon you'd be fine. If I did mine again I probably wouldn't bother with the fan. 1
Rive_mk2 Member 62 Member For: 7y 11m 28d Posted 11/04/23 04:23 AM Author Posted 11/04/23 04:23 AM Legend, cheers bro 👍
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m Gender: Not Telling Posted 11/04/23 04:29 AM Posted 11/04/23 04:29 AM I would say it depends where you live. Some places are cold or temperate most of the year, some places are hot af all year. Tasmania = no fan Darwin = fan
Rive_mk2 Member 62 Member For: 7y 11m 28d Posted 11/04/23 04:30 AM Author Posted 11/04/23 04:30 AM Yeah that’s a good point, I live in Adelaide but possibly may move to the Sunshine Coast at some point this year.
Rive_mk2 Member 62 Member For: 7y 11m 28d Posted 11/04/23 04:39 AM Author Posted 11/04/23 04:39 AM What about if I just swapped out the oem heat exchanger and put a pwr one in? Any no no with that?
Puffwagon Legacy Donating Member 16,348 Member For: 11y 8m Gender: Not Telling Posted 11/04/23 04:43 AM Posted 11/04/23 04:43 AM I live in Adelaide too, daily driving in the suburbs in summer makes everything hot. I've also lived on the sunshine coast and it gets very hot there too. There is also a sh*tload more traffic there than here, so more time sitting with no airflow. I'd suggest fans for low airflow driving, here or there. I haven't used the pwr unit so no comment there.
Rive_mk2 Member 62 Member For: 7y 11m 28d Posted 11/04/23 04:47 AM Author Posted 11/04/23 04:47 AM (edited) Gotcha. I don’t mean to ramble on, but say if you just went aftermarket heat exchanger that would surely prevent the milkshake from happening? Heard the oem ones are just cheap junk from China. Surely putting a good one it would significantly minimise any harm. I used to have a BF turbo and flogged it around a bit and didn’t have any problems with overheating the trans. I don’t know, I just guess Im pretty poor otherwise I’d have zero dramas getting the fan etc. what tuner do you recommend in Adelaide? Was thinking of going to Heinrich but up in the air with the idea. Edited 11/04/23 04:47 AM by Rive_mk2
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now