Bottom End Tick

• Member For: 1y 2m 25d

Hello everyone, fairly new to Barra ownership, but good to be here🙂.

Tried the search function with not much joy, but as the title states, my Patrol swapped NA+T FG Falcon bottom end (BA top end) has developed a bottom end tick. I originally thought rods or big end bearings being an NA+T, but it isn't a deep note like I'm used to for rod knock.

I used a screwdriver as a stethoscope to help hear the noise, and to me the sound is strongest near at the top of the sump at the rear most cylinders. Appears to knock once or twice on start up, then this ticking seems to dominate as you can hear in the video from the link: 

I tried disconnecting the spark coils one at a time, visual inspection for exhaust leaks (found one from dump to muffler, involved with no difference in ticking noise), and pressed the clutch in and out, all with no noticeable difference in ticking. 

Any advice is appreciated, I have tried to video the noise well but it is difficult.

Thanks again.

Yes, it does get louder. I have been hesitant to increase revs to much or for to long, in an attempt to avoid making any problem worse. But when I did, it seemed to get a little deeper in note as well as louder.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Understandably. If you didn't change the revs much and it got noticeably louder I'd be thinking it's related to valve stem seals or perhaps a damaged crank bearing... but it's not easy to diagnose these things via the internet and/or without tearing down the motor.

Personally I'd make sure I have roadside assistance and take it for a small drive and if it fails then you'll know it's something catastrophic, and if it doesn't it's probably something less sinister like a rocker or valve spring etc.

That's very true, internet is great but sometimes you need that in person assistance. But thanks for your advice and ideas. I'll have a peak around the bits that are easy to get off, like the rocker cover and go from there I think.

Thanks.