Need some good advice on respray of XR6 Turbo Mercury Silver.

fox1972

• Member For: 5y 6m 16d

Hi guys...

I live in Hervey bay Qld, I have a BA 2005 series II XR6 Turbo, 6 speed manual, Mercury Silver...tuned by Clint at profile.

Where I live, my car is exposed to the sun daily...all day. The uv exposure here is terrible to car paint, as most cars around town, have their clear coat breached and peeling. Because I couldn't put my car under a carport or similar, I had no choice but to resort to a car cover. However, even tied down, the cover would rub due to the windy days, and eventually the clear coat on some of my panels have been breached.  The bonnet's clear is 1/4 gone, the rear wing is the same as with the front right guard. I have no choice but to repray these panels. I have a decent pretty good Black Ridge compressor 50ltr 2.5hp....max cfm is around 6 I think. I do have an outstanding LVLP spray gun set at 1.3mm with a nice 280mm fan at 18psi for base and 22psi for clear. Iv'e done many small projects, but none to this scale.

My question is, what brand of paint should I use, eg...dulux...or any other paint advice on the xr6. Do's, don'ts....helpful advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Al

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 18d

The paint is DuPont originally... re-painting without a paint booth is just asking for your paint to have heaps of defects.

• [IMPULSIV3]
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 30d
1 hour ago, k31th said:

The paint is DuPont originally... re-painting without a paint booth is just asking for your paint to have heaps of defects.

In saying that, I have seen many people turn their garage into a perfectly average paint booth for a DIY car respray. 

Significantly higher risk of dust and sh*t getting into the paint. But hey, if you're in to DIY its definitely possible to do!

What I've seen people do in the past is purchase a big tent, that becomes a paint booth where you can paint small to medium parts inside. Really need to get the ventilation on point though!

• Member For: 5y 6m 16d

Thx for the reply guys...

The panels will be removed from the car, preped and sprayed in a controlled environment. The doors, rear quaters and front left guard are fine....thank goodness. Thx k31th for the DuPont comment...for some silly reason,  I keep thinking dulux. Puffwagon...I have watched quite a few of his video's and many others....anyway...I'll post a few pics up tomorrow of the paint damage. It also had pin striping that has burned into the paint on the bonnet and rear bootlid, and 1500 grit sandpaper will not remove it lol. Anyway, I'll post a few pic's soon.

Regards