Flapper mod project

hjtrbo

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 3m 8d
3 hours ago, Warpspeed said:

So I transferred the turbine housing onto the face plate of my lathe.  This has a few advantages, the biggest one being you don't need to remove the swing arm from the housing, which is a major pain. Just remove the flapper disc from the swing arm, which has to come off anyway.

Lucky bastard. I didn't have enough room to swing mine in the 4 jaw.

The only other thing I did that I didn't post about was got out the carbide burr tool with a long shank and blended in the transition from the turbine housing gas path into the wastegate outlet (if that makes sense).  

Nice work man. :thumbs-up:

• Member For: 1y 3m 27d

I plan to do a bit of final blending as well.

Just realized that a further advantage of using a lathe is that the port does not have to be bored out parallel.

It could funnel down to the opening under the flapper by a few millimeters, then do a bit of blending with a die grinder to finish it off.

One final thought, it would be possible to thread the shank of the flapper disc and screw on a 6mm stainless half height nut.

That could be finely adjusted for just the right amount of wiggle clearance, before zapping it on permanently with a welder. I have not done that yet either. Fortunately I left myself some extra length on the shank.

I have not taken any pictures, and even if I had, have not figured out how to post them here yet.

Hopefully its possible with just words to describe the whole story.

A large area wastegate needs a large area actuator with a decently strong spring. I have just bought one of those cheapy Chinese 38mm external wastegates with the aluminium actuator that can be taken apart.

Its possible to buy replacement diaphragms, and different springs are easy to source as well.

Pretty useless fitting a 40mm actuator to a 40mm wastegate. Exhaust pulsing is just going to blow it open.

Quite a few small details to think about, but overall pretty happy with how its all turning out.

• Member For: 1y 3m 27d
On 13/12/2022 at 7:50 PM, Dat111 said:

any recommendations for sydney/newcastle area? to do the flapper mod 

Don't know anyone that will mod your housing for you, but If you are really desperate, I just discovered these guys up your way that will supply a new modified housing for a very big pile of money.