What wastegate to your on a stock turbo

Pablo

• Member For: 2y 1m 27d

Hey everyone This is my first post, I’m new to turbos and everything that goes with them. I just bought a territory turbo ghia and wanted to do some work to it(valve springs, injectors, high flow cat, front mount later down the track) I was just wondering what waste gate would be best with the stock turbo. Or do they already have one and just buy a actuator or vice versa. 
sorry if this is a dumb question 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

It has an internal wastegate that'll support your choice in mods. You just buy an actuator if you want a higher minimum boost. Realistically depends on your boost goal if you even need to upgrade it over the stock one, but your tuner will probably thank you for upgrading it :)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

Garrett 11.8psi actuator is a good one to use with a stock turbo and flapper mod. Turbosmart 12psi actuator is ok too but the porting and preload needs to be spot on to get decent boost control.

You'll need a set of injectors first and preferably a fuel pump upgrade before upgrading the actuator.

• Member For: 3y 3m 15d

The stock actuator is 7 psi I believe. I had one on my F6 310 and was netting 16 psi with the stock cams and then when I went to crow stage 3 forced could only get 14 psi . So I upgraded to turbo smart 12 psi which very well , saw 530 rwhp on 98 on the stock gt3582. Then upgraded to a gen 2 pulser gt3584 with a 15 psi gate . So turbo smart came off as it didn’t fit . 

So I took out the 5 psi spring of the turbo smart and left the 7 pound spring in and installed on my wife’s turbo TT. Which for a Daily Driver works well ! I can run on E 10 on gate and up to 10 psi ( 94 oct ) . Runs a little leaner but I have tuned for it via pcm tec. Max boost for and puffwagon will laugh at this lol! But I tuned it to 14 psi on 80 % duty cycle . So 16 psi would be possible. The btr box with the stock tune wasn’t loving life at all  with 400 plus rwhp going through it ! So yeah running 9 -10 psi e 10 with 11 deg max timing.

so 7 psi is good for a general st car . Depends what u want ? Puffwagon has demonstrated what is possible with a TT !!