Idle on warm/hot startup issue

vegie

• Member For: 4y 8m 1d

Hi,

I am hoping the wisdom contained within this forum might be able to help.

2005 BAII XR6T ute - 117,000kms, auto, 1000cc injectors, 255 walbro, 12psi actuator - just about everything else stock.

Has started developing a problem where when cold, it starts up and idles fine.  Drive to work - fine. Drive home after work - fine.  If I need to stop on the way home (pick up milk whatever), when I get in to restart, car starts, and when settling to idle, doesn't - it stalls.  If it does hang on (after revs have jumped around from very low to 800), when I put in in D or R, it stalls.  I need to keep feeding accel pedal to keep it running.  After a couple of seconds of this, it does start to run ok and I can continue on.  If I shut it down and restart - problem is back.

Once car is running, power is good, no mis/hestation or any other running difficulties - only warm startups seem to cause the problem.

No fault codes generate.

Have replaced spark plugs, genuine coils, 02 sensor, inlet gasket, TPS, fuel filter, air filter (running F6 airbox).

Have had tuner check tune etc - and have it booked in (again) for them to see if they can find the fault, but wanting to see what others might think.

Not sure where to go from here.

Could it be cam sensors/crank sensor/MAP/fuel pump faulty/wiring issue (either coils, or under inlet manifold)?

It is starting to be a pain - love the car, enjoy the drive, more than enough power for me (around 280rwkw), but will choose to drive another car if it means a warm restart will be part of the journey.

Any thoughts (and thanks in advance!)?

Edited by vegie

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

I had a similar issue with a mount on the thermo fans - only happened when warm because that was when the thermo's kicked in

Was hard to diagnose due to the randomness of when the fans would turn on

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

like Rab said, it seems something to do with the parameters of the warmed up cooling system, either the thermofans, thermostat or the tune parameters relating to either.

• Member For: 4y 8m 1d

Thanks for that input.  I can hear/feel the fans kick in and out, and the operating temperature never changes on the gauge when driving.  There is a very slight drop in revs as the fans start up, but it instantly goes back to normal.  I never considered that an issue but will certainly raise it with the tuner when it goes in.

This is more a starting when warm issue though, so not sure how the fan setup would be a major contributing factor.

What are the symptoms of cam/crank/MAP sensor failures?