Oil Pump Gear Failure Boo!

frozenxr6t

• Member For: 9y 8m 10d

So the good old fg shat the gears today. Slightly over revved it in first and bang low oil pressure light come on and horrid sound coming from around oil pump area.. So yeah gather it's pump gears. Was planning on selling the car to do few house renos but now it's going to become my life long car partner if I'm going to be spending some serious cash on rebuilding the engine.

My question is I don't want massive power ever just a nice 400-450 on e85 so what would be the best option for a reliable engine and just engine build not including the bigger turbo fuel setup etc what would I be looking at price for fresh engine? I'm in Bathurst nsw and there is no one there Id trust to build the engine so someone in Syd it'll be. Who's the best engine builder in Sydney?

• in the mid....not the bum like some
  • Member For: 11y 2d

Speak to Paul Geri at Northmead Auto Centre and he will steer you in the right direction.

Personally I think a FG F6 short motor would suffice but it all depends if you want some headroom up your sleeve.

• in the mid....not the bum like some
  • Member For: 11y 2d

The pump gears will still need doing as the short engine doesn't come with any....Atomic billet gears are widely used with success.

Some new guides,hardened crank sprocket and heavy duty timing chain from Atomic will see that area pretty much bullet proof.....stock tensioner is fine.....Atomic is better as it doesn't allow it to bleed back any.

The short motors are around 3k so Id budget at least 7k for the build with the added accessories and labour.

• Member For: 17y

Re, Slightly over revved it in first and bang low oil pressure light come on and horrid sound coming from around oil pump area..

For how long have you been bouncing it ( Engine) off the Rev-Limiter ??

The Oil-Pumps on these Cars don't like it !! Do it once to often and the Oil-Pump will let go !!

*** The factory oil pump gears are made from powdered metal and fail with harsh use , this can lead to total engine failure.

From: http://www.intunemotorsport.com.au/Oil-Pump-BA-BF-FG-XR6-Turbo-F6-STD-Ford-pump-fitted-with-Billet-gears.html