Ralph Wiggum

Diy Tuning

Its my understanding you can copy whatever file is flashed on the ecu, however I think you run into problems if he car has previously been tuned and the ecu is locked password protected I believe some tuners lock their tunes others don't.

Ratter would know for sure.

You can by it from Vcm Suite Australia, they have a on line store and are located in victoria. About $900 buys the Pro version with 8 credits. You are better to load the stock tune and save it as the base file and then reload the sct tunes and save the files and use the compare function of the software if you want to veiw the differences.And yes you can buy with your mates and tune a couple cars with the credits supplied. Two credits per Ford vehicle and the software updates are free.

cheers

Some Tuners Tunerlock but afaik this function only works on GM tunes.

Edited by JVK

Thanks for the advice Toady. When I get my head around HP Tuners a bit more I will look into that stuff.

I had a look at the Demo HPTuner software tonight but there are only GM tune files from what I could see so not much use in getting an idea on the Australian Ford stuff.

Just some Questions:

Where is the best place to buy HpTuner in Aust and how much. I guess it comes with cables and everthing needed to connect to the car?

Also when the ZF transmission tuning side gets done will I have to pay extra or is that an automatic free software update?

I don't honesty believe HPT will ever support ZF tuning.

I have a SCT tune in the car. Should I download the stock tune down into the car and tune that with VCM or can I suck the SCT tune out and use that as a base tune and then tune with the HpTuner software?? it depends on your take on intellectual property. Technically you should flash to stock and retune, but IMHO 99% of people would use the SCT tune as there base and then make there changes from there.

What is preventing a few mates buying HpTuners with credits and tuning several cars.

Nothing.

PM me an email address and I'l send you some Aus Ford files to have a look at

I have hp tuners, but I paid a work shop to tune my ford because I herd sctx3 is so much better?? And can do the autos... with the cd that came with the sct can I load that and modify my tune?? I have a wide band already hooked up to my dongle for hp tuners and have played with heaps of holdens but never a ford!! ralph would you mind sharing some of your ford files with me??

Would like to check my ZF trans settings to make sure they are stock if I could have a standard tune for a 2007 BF2 with ZF.

Should the engine be tuned in open or closed loop? I have read some conflicting opinions regarding safety parameters.

I thought they only allowed tuners who had done the ZF course access to the ZF tuning tables? That was a while ago that I heard that so things have changed since then?

I don't think you tune in either closed or open loop. It's just that usually closed loop is disabled so the long term mixture is not adjusted between dyno runs.

Maybe that what tuning in open loop is referring to.

I thought they only allowed tuners who had done the ZF course access to the ZF tuning tables? That was a while ago that I heard that so things have changed since then?

That I beleive is only for the sct gear, so HPT stuff you can go nuts on the zf tuning to whatever extent it allows.

Also on the front of buying gear and using it as a group on multiple vehicles im pretty sure there is the 2 credits per VIN or you can do a larger amount of credits that gives you unlimited VINs for that class of vehicle.

Class of vehicle being BA/F excluding FG. That type of thing.

EDIT: Just looked up the site, they have changed the class system slightly from last time I read, now its 30 credits for a model/year to be unlocked or 2 credits per VIN.

Info here, http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php

Edited by Wenier

That I beleive is only for the sct gear, so HPT stuff you can go nuts on the zf tuning to whatever extent it allows.

Ahhhh of course, cheers for clearing that up!

Regarding sharing HP Tuners. Does that mean I can buy the solfware, load it on several computers and and use the credits tuning different cars or is the solfware locked/licenced onto one computer and you need to use that one computer to tune different cars???

As far as I was made aware by VCM/Autotechnique directly on inquiry about using HPT to tune my car with was that a previously SCT tuned ECU can't be over written, you need to get the ECU reflashed back to factory stock (not with your Xcal stock tune) before you can tune with HPT. This was a query from my mate (a workshop) who uses HPT to tune Holdens with.

Edited by Foon

you are correct, and in rereading my reply to Turbotrana, its confusing. Most people would copy the installed SCT tune, Flash back to stock with x-cal, the flash the original SCT tune back in with HPT.

Are you talking about getting a Ford dealer to reflash to stock, reflashing it back to the stock tune with the Xcal 3 cant be done or can be done but presents problems.

So then I would have to put stock injectors back in, reflash back with the Xcal3 then drive to ford to get them to reflash to stock again. Then put my big injectors in and start tuning with HP Tuner.

Edited by turbotrana

I think the idea is to dump (copy) both stock and Xcal3 performance tunes from the car with VCM to your pc or laptop and then return the car to stock with the Xcal3 and you re-insert either tune, or a modded tune using VCM?

You will need to cycle through each tune in the vehicle with the Xcal3 so you can back them up one at a time with VCM.

Once the stock tune is returned to the car the Xcal3 is ready for sale if desired (that's how I understand it anyway :))

Here is the link relating to open loop.... http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/79132-car-tuned-at-cms-very-happy/

Edited by riptide

Copy Custom Tune Using HPT

Reflash to Stock with SCT

Reflash Custom Tune with HPT.

Tune car.

I was told we can't do that, we were told that we would either have to run the car back to Ford for a ECU reflash or remove the ECU and send it off to be erased and reflashed with a factory tune (at a cost obviously). Even when the stock tune is reflashed back in to the cars ECU using the Xcal it still has the SCT tell tales about which stops HPT from flashing it. This is exactly what we were told by VCM/Autotechnique.

I would be interested to know if this scenario actually works for you Ralph if you have done it.

We were also told we can't use the old SCT file to tune the car with either, basically had to start from scratch.

I am very interested in other people's actual dealings with this tuning swap over if anybody has actually done it.

Edited by Foon

Have done, worked fine mate.

EDIT: when where you told that? 2.23 had some issues with checksum errors when reading/writing over a sct tuned car. 2.24XXX has had these issues fixed.

EDIT#2: I dont have access to an SCT car that wants a HPT tune currently but if you ask mr toads nicely he may be able to run a test. He has both SCT and HPT and could test it out.

3-4 weeks ago we were told this as we were going to have a play so we rang Autotechnique as they are the distributor and whom my mate has a great report with, my F6 was/is going to be a test mule for my mate and possibly down the track for me to learn on also. We were told HPT couldn't even read the SCT flash file let alone flash over it. mmmm.... very interesting Ralph, thanks for that info as we may give it a go, as it is my daily at the moment we really didn't want to try something that rendered the car disabled until we had a fix.

I can 100% confirm that I have read and flashed sct tuned cars. All being ba/f cant comment on FG's tho. Trolling the HPT forum it is an Issue that exists with SCT tuned GM's But not Fords to my knowledge.

I picked up a 2nd hand pcm for my car and that had also been tuned by "something" Injector scaling and timing maps had been changed, I was able to read it, write to it and also write my cars vin to it with HPT.

Your all good Ralph if you say you have done it then it can be done, we were only going on what we were told by them, we were hoping we could read it and then re use the same tune back into the car using HPT and then go from there, It will be something we will have a play with when we have some time here.

I checked VCM Suite Australia to do an online purchase but no online stuff for the MPVI Proffessional from what I can see. Did you guys just ring them up. I think I have forgotten how to ring as I only do online purchases now.

Or do you buy it from the HpTuners US website for $649. Their online store seems pretty sorted.

So whats the go.