04LTRB Member 319 Member For: 13y 11m 8d Posted 17/07/15 05:06 AM Posted 17/07/15 05:06 AM When I first drive my car in the morning turbo spools up an makes a really weird noise similar to a grinding noise at first I thought it was a big exhaust leak but then once I drive it for awhile the spooling noise seems to go away an sounds normal again What could the problem be I'm thinking of putting an inline oil filter to the turbo an c if anything changes its got me stumped All the bolts from turbo tomanifold are tight All the bolts from manifold to block are tight I looked an notice there's a bracket that goes from dumpipe to block it's missing the bolt at the dumpipe end could this be an issue at all Any help much appreciated Cheers Michael
hrick Member 210 Member For: 16y 9m 15d Posted 17/07/15 07:43 AM Posted 17/07/15 07:43 AM (edited) I had what maybe sounds like a similar noise (thought a heat shield might have been loose, bit of a noise a 1600-1750 rpm), gradually got worse, stupid forkin standard turbo line filter/screen was starting to clog up, ended getting way noisy and needed a new turbo core in the end (the turbo was gradually being starved of oil). Preventative maintenance is always better. Edited 17/07/15 07:45 AM by hrick
04LTRB Member 319 Member For: 13y 11m 8d Posted 17/07/15 08:11 AM Author Posted 17/07/15 08:11 AM Yea I'm Gunns get an oil filter for sure now before its to late
julesk_1972 Member 267 Member For: 14y 2m 5d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 17/07/15 09:09 AM Posted 17/07/15 09:09 AM Remove line screen completely..Problem solved.
hrick Member 210 Member For: 16y 9m 15d Posted 17/07/15 11:34 AM Posted 17/07/15 11:34 AM (edited) Yea I'm Gunns get an oil filter for sure now before its to latehope its not too late if you already have a grinding (metal?) noise. Edited 17/07/15 11:35 AM by hrick
04LTRB Member 319 Member For: 13y 11m 8d Posted 17/07/15 11:46 AM Author Posted 17/07/15 11:46 AM It goes away after about 4-5minutea of driving
hrick Member 210 Member For: 16y 9m 15d Posted 17/07/15 10:50 PM Posted 17/07/15 10:50 PM It goes away after about 4-5minutea of drivingso did mine
Swindog Member 40 Member For: 13y 1m 22d Posted 18/07/15 08:38 AM Posted 18/07/15 08:38 AM Pop the front turbo hose off. Put your finger on the nut holding the front wheel. Try and lift the wheel up and down or try and push it back. If it moves more than half a mm youll have done a bearing.Its a quick check and free.The odd noise you hear is prob the fact your thrust bearing is rooted.The oil filter screen is a common prob in Subarus too. Removing them and adding a larger braided line is the best long term solution but if you are hearing noises now it might be too late, especially if its combined with excessive wheel movement on your check. Check for fin damage or wear. Also signs that the bearings are wearing and the fins some times wear on the compressor housing, normally associated with high pitch squealing from the turbo on full torque.I speak from experience. A very costly experience
camo86T Legacy Donating Member 1,810 Member For: 12y 7m 18d Gender: Male Location: SW Sydney Posted 18/07/15 12:41 PM Posted 18/07/15 12:41 PM The oil filter screen is a common prob in Subarus too. So it's not only ford who fit an inline filter screen to the turbo oil supply line?
PTR_NITRO_FG Legacy Donating Member 3,214 Member For: 13y 4m 5d Gender: Male Location: NOR Perth Posted 18/07/15 01:35 PM Posted 18/07/15 01:35 PM If it moves more than half a mm youll have done a bearing.I thought it was ok to move a little bit? All the adverts for used turbos must be wrong... I.e. when people say "slight movement" or "minimal" movement
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now