TheTopGun New Member 22 Member For: 11y 11m 28d Posted 18/03/15 01:45 AM Posted 18/03/15 01:45 AM Hey, I've got a slow coolant leak from this hose that goes into the thermostat housing. How exactly does this seal ? It seems weird that they don't just use a normal outlet and hose clamp.
Skids4kids in the mid....not the bum like some Member 609 Member For: 13y 5m 17d Gender: Male Posted 18/03/15 01:59 AM Posted 18/03/15 01:59 AM It has a oring sealing it into the housing with the tab/10mm bolt holding it in place.Use a small amount of vasso on the new oring if that one has perished when installing. 1
TheTopGun New Member 22 Member For: 11y 11m 28d Posted 18/03/15 02:03 AM Author Posted 18/03/15 02:03 AM Ahk awesome, sounds pretty straight forward. Hope its just the o-ring and the hose isn't perished aswell.
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 18/03/15 02:06 AM Posted 18/03/15 02:06 AM (edited) Don't use vasoline. Use silicon grease or or coolantThe hose is steel Edited 18/03/15 02:08 AM by arronm 1
PhilMeUp Member 1,045 Member For: 18y 2m 24d Gender: Male Location: Perth, Western Australia Posted 18/03/15 07:30 PM Posted 18/03/15 07:30 PM (edited) Hey, I've got a slow coolant leak from this hose that goes into the thermostat housing. How exactly does this seal ?That's the pipe that goes into the back of the water pump.I've replaced water pumps twice on BF Falcons. Absolutely hate it, and it's taken me hours each time.However, I've done it the hard way... ie without removing the power steering pump. There are holes in the power steering pump pulley - you poke a socket through those holes to undo the bolts holding the power steering pump in place. Remove the power steering pump and the job becomes a whole lot easier.There is an o-ring that goes on the end of that pipe, where it goes into the water pump. Because the pipe is metal and won't move, you have to remove the water pump just to get to that &^%$# o-ring. I bought a pulley-puller gadget to use the next time I try that job, but haven't used it yet (ie to remove the pulley on the front of the water pump).Don't forget to get a new gasket for the water pump. You'll have a ton of fun peeling off the old gasket. Next time I do it I'll probably get carried away and remove the radiator and front bumper just so that I can get better access.Evil, nasty job.Might help: http://pdftown.com/ford-ba-falcon-2002-2005-service-manual/ Edited 18/03/15 07:37 PM by PhilMeUp
"Captain Retard" Member 1,417 Member For: 12y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Shellharbour NSW Posted 18/03/15 09:43 PM Posted 18/03/15 09:43 PM Well you just put me off that job PHIL.Mines had a wee weep since I bought the car but no where near as bad as the OPs.HANG ON...... Why do you need to remove the water pump?Maybe the thermostat housing but the water pump is on the other side (see pic)Mines a BA Typhoon, are they different too the BF?
PhilMeUp Member 1,045 Member For: 18y 2m 24d Gender: Male Location: Perth, Western Australia Posted 18/03/15 09:58 PM Posted 18/03/15 09:58 PM HANG ON...... Why do you need to remove the water pump?Maybe the thermostat housing but the water pump is on the other side (see pic)Mines a BA Typhoon, are they different too the BF?Well sh*t, look at that... I got it wrong. Had to happen some day. I thought that the first photo was of the pipe that goes into the back of the water pump. It's an almost identical setup there. The second photo shows the area better.Dunno if the pipe on that side moves - it doesn't move on the water pump side, hence the water pump has to come out just to replace that ^%$# o-ring in the back of the water pump. Pretty sure that the BA setup will be the same as the BF. 1
TheTopGun New Member 22 Member For: 11y 11m 28d Posted 19/03/15 12:54 AM Author Posted 19/03/15 12:54 AM removing waterpump ?! craaap scared me for a minute haha. Yeh this is thermostat housing, I was hoping to just loosen that tab pull hose out and replace o-ring but I guess it might not be that simple :/
ullysses New Member 23 Member For: 14y 11m 14d Posted 03/04/15 11:07 AM Posted 03/04/15 11:07 AM Just replaced mine.Undo tab and turbo feed if the car is turbo and pull the pipe back gently.There was enough movement in mine to get a new o ring on.Mine didn't have an o ring at all
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 17d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 04/04/15 01:27 AM Posted 04/04/15 01:27 AM Did you check to see if the old oring stayed behind in the thermostat housing?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now