gsd112 Legacy Donating Member 605 Member For: 16y 26d Gender: Male Location: Penrith Posted 29/12/14 06:42 AM Posted 29/12/14 06:42 AM (edited) Because the BMW ones have been known to fail as well. Obviously not to the same extent as the Ford units. Got this from a Aussie BMW engineer. Edited 29/12/14 06:43 AM by gsd112
Ctyjet Member 72 Member For: 14y 10m 10d Posted 29/12/14 07:29 AM Author Posted 29/12/14 07:29 AM Been looking up abit of info Cant find much at all about the bmw exchangers failing. Would they be a direct fit to the falcons?
RB Snake Legacy Donating Member 327 Member For: 12y 9m 8d Gender: Male Location: Perth SOR Posted 29/12/14 09:43 AM Posted 29/12/14 09:43 AM Once you hold the PWR one you know straight away it's a quality bit of gear (It's shiny ffs), and you feel comfortable knowing it wont break like the oem one will. Who knows what you're getting with that BMW heat exchanger, has anyone actually fitted one to an XR6 Turbo? I wouldn't tell anybody to buy it unless I was sure there's a way to fit it.
JustBlown Member 12 Member For: 11y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: Mid North coast NSW Posted 29/12/14 09:51 AM Posted 29/12/14 09:51 AM wouldn't be a direct fit but neither is the PWR kit,there's going to be jigging around with both.The Bimmer one is designed to plug into the radiator and held with a bracket,to put on the FG ,I will probably just clamp the coolant hoses onto the existing tubes exiting the HE.As for the trans fluid lines,use Furious Performance's transmission adapter barbed fittings and run good quality hose forward to the HE.I use my Ute on a lot of rough roads and the last thing I want is that PWR unit hanging underneath the trans mount.If anyone's going this way,buy the genuine BM unit not the Chinese copy-Yep,they've copied this as well.Incidentally the crappy Ford unit is made in the PRC,the BM unit is made in Germany where Porsche,BMW,Audi and Mercedes Benz are made ( not in any preferential order ! )
ratter Member 6,793 Member For: 20y 4m 3d Gender: Male Location: @ my laptop Posted 29/12/14 09:54 AM Posted 29/12/14 09:54 AM if you felt the PWR item you would know that it is quite heavy construction and any normal road/track debris would most likely have no ill affect on it and it does not hang low 1
JustBlown Member 12 Member For: 11y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: Mid North coast NSW Posted 29/12/14 09:59 AM Posted 29/12/14 09:59 AM Yes it looks absolutely well made,I have no doubts,its just a cost thing with me....I have so much to do to my new toy and I really don't feel I'm taking a quality shortcut going this way,I've done a reasonable amount of research.
JustBlown Member 12 Member For: 11y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: Mid North coast NSW Posted 29/12/14 10:08 AM Posted 29/12/14 10:08 AM ratter,you would have seen this interesting link I posted by this guy in the states who seems to know a lot about the ZF's he told me the BMW HE's are very reliable.But to the link which is very interesting reading:http://www.bmwlogicseven.com/?p=3738
RB Snake Legacy Donating Member 327 Member For: 12y 9m 8d Gender: Male Location: Perth SOR Posted 29/12/14 10:22 AM Posted 29/12/14 10:22 AM Mine sits pretty snug and does certainly not hang low as ratter stated, there were no fittment issues, PWR moved it away from the engine for 2 reasons, to avoid the heat and harmonic vibration. It did bolt right up to its position.My factory heat exchanger was made by KTM. I think Ford must have changed the manufacturer a few times. If/when you do fit a Beemer heat exchanger make sure you post photos and details. Would be interesting for sure.
JustBlown Member 12 Member For: 11y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: Mid North coast NSW Posted 29/12/14 07:56 PM Posted 29/12/14 07:56 PM RB snake,yes its probably not too low for my application after all,the engine sump,ZF sump and Turbo exhaust all are projections worthy of a good rough road bashing.In my other n/a FG,one tonner (sits higher of course) ,I stove in the sump on the 5 speed tranny,luckily no internal damage.Yep,as many have said-you should have a fourby ! But I just like a Ute.Total comfort,and now,super performance.Back on topic,just looked at photo of my factory cooler,mine made 5/2010- in China and the one Adelaide parts have on Ebay now,supposedly " revised "-http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121496948212?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Also made in China.I don't really know what " revised " implies.Surely,you would think that after making many parts,the manufacturing process would be improved-but who knows ? Who would take the chance ?-not me.For the Bimmer HE,I will use an angle,probably ally,get two tubes,the I.d. of which suit the coolant outlets and weld these to the angle.Then press the HE in ( it has "o" rings).Use the other leg of the angle to pickup the original HE mounts on the engine block.I wouldn't want to start welding/brazing/s.soldering the HE as an Alfa-laval type HE has many very thin plates inside and damage could ensue.Yep,photos for sure-I'm 95% sure I'm going this way.
JustBlown Member 12 Member For: 11y 9m 20d Gender: Male Location: Mid North coast NSW Posted 30/12/14 01:47 AM Posted 30/12/14 01:47 AM Okay,I've joined a BMW forum and found this :that's what the BMW HE and probably ours look like inside when cut open.This one obviously had a problem after having done 215,000 kms,no telling about the maintenance ( or lack of it ) that the vehicle had.Not maintaining coolant quality,electrolysis and poor manufacturing are just three things that could cause premature failure of any HE...........
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now