Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 5m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

So will Elite pay for the tranny rebuild from milkshake if you followed that advice? This from a supposedly reputable workshop. Ignorant at best - trying to fleece at worst. The supplied hoses are more than adequate mate but go braided if you want. Bottom line though, get rid of the factory hand grenade.

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 14y 1m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

I'm currently thinking about replacing the stock heat exchanger for a PWR. It is worth getting the braided lines? And who in Brisbane (prefer Southside) could fit it up for me? I did check with Elite Automotive but they said to replace it with a stock one every 2 years and flush the oil. Cost around $900. I'd rather just spend some extra now than paying $900 every 2 years.

That $900 is including a full oil flush don't forget.

The factory exchanger on its own is around $150.

  • Member
  • Member For: 20y 4m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: @ my laptop
Posted

my dealer tells me there are 4 different ones and range from just under $200 to high $200 iirc

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 14y 1m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

My 'yellow dot ID' exchanger was definitely $150 a few months ago directly from ford. Can't comment on the other ones.

Then bought 20L of Nulon trans fluid and a gasket/pan filter kit. $210 for those.

Although.... I am using genuine ZF fluid now. Not the Nulon.

  • Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 5m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

^^^ you do know maintenance has nothing to do with them failing?

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 14y 1m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted (edited)

Yes I'm well aware. Thank you mate.

Don't believe I mentioned anywhere it was maintenance related. Haha.

I service my ZF yearly as I do a few track days a year. I choose to change the exchanger at the same time.

Edited by Seaton
  • Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 18y 10m 17d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Probably above atmospheric pressure
Posted

That's what made me paranoid. I'm sure they've died when practically new out of the factory.

  • Like 1
  • Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 5m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

Wasn't meaning to be rude mate. The only reason I said it was that it comes up often.

There is this misconception that provided you do frequent coolant changes and maybe swap it out every year, you'll be fine. They rarely fail from corrosion. Orange dot, yellow dot or whatever, they're all sh*t. Given the consequences of failure, it's just a too bigger gamble imo.

  • Like 1
  • Carnage on the Garage Floor
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 5m
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Gold Coast
Posted

^^^ and yes Stever I know of one that failed on an F6 with 8,000klm on the clock. Luckily, was under warranty of course and the car was completely stock so no outs for Ford.

  • Like 1
  • New Member
  • Member For: 17y 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Brisbane
Posted

That $900 is including a full oil flush don't forget.

The factory exchanger on its own is around $150.

Yeah I know it includes an oil flush but is that really necessary to do every 2 years? Sure I could replace the stock one every couple of years without the flush but as mentioned it could still fail. I do about 18K a year. I'll be keeping this car for a number of years so I'll have to go the PWR way. Once I buy the kit, I'll just find someone locally to fit it for us. Might get the Ford dealer to do it for me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...