Pics Of Intercooler Internals

Vrdesign

• Member For: 10y 3m 30d

post-76610-0-64388400-1405053797_thumb.j

these bars run full length of the core, and are what make heat soak a big issue in bar and plate coolers, they are thick and heavy, and take longer to transfer heat.

this heavy mass is why they are good on a dyno, because they take longer to get from cold to hot, but once they get hot, they stay hot. an intercoolers job is to reject heat, but for the first 5 secs of a dyno run a bar and plate actually absorbs it.

they also take up extra internal area, an 80mm bar and plate core will actually have an internal size close to 70mm.

Edited by Vrdesign
  • Like 2

• billet turbos and weathered engines dont mix
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 11m 6d

True, tube and fin probably flows better, but bar and plate is thicker and stronger. A stone may hole a tube and fin, but would have to be a big rock to hole a bar and plate.

For street I like bar and plate. Just cram in the biggest cooler you can. We talked about this in the other post. Coolers are like cocks, biggest rules.

Between men yeh,

Hinders performance sometimes. Gotta take it easy with a super big cooler sometimes ;)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 15d

This is the core I used, its a Euro tube and fin, same as Hypertune use. It made 46 more rwkw than my PWR stepped. I fabbed the cooler and pipework, will be offering as a kit very soon. The core is extremely lightweight, about 1/3 the weight of smaller PWR it replaced.

Kind regards Jon

post-55579-0-61626400-1405471977_thumb.j

post-55579-0-43895700-1405472019_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Member For: 14y 4m 23d

This is the core I used, its a Euro tube and fin, same as Hypertune use. It made 46 more rwkw than my PWR stepped. I fabbed the cooler and pipework, will be offering as a kit very soon. The core is extremely lightweight, about 1/3 the weight of smaller PWR it replaced.

Kind regards Jon

Hi Jon,

would you by any chance have recorded the charge temps between the 2 coolers with the power change?