JimmyRickard Member 18 Member For: 13y 1m 22d Posted 06/08/13 10:33 AM Posted 06/08/13 10:33 AM Currently looking at buying either a new XR6t Ute or used F6 ute ('09-'10) for work. I have a skyline race car that I tow to race meets so I need a pretty decent towing capacity, and was leaning towards the Falcon's as I was told they can two upto 2300kg. However, I was informed today by a salesman at a Ford dealership that the F6 Ute can only tow upto 1600kg, and only the XR6t has a towing capacity of 2300kg. Is this true? He seemed pretty adament about it, but to me it makes absolutely no sense seeing they are very similar cars. Is there a difference between the Ute and the Sedan?Cheers
BenDoCo I'm getten too old for this s**t Legacy Donating Member 4,509 Member For: 13y 5m 22d Gender: Male Location: A big bridge over a river in South Australia Posted 06/08/13 10:44 AM Posted 06/08/13 10:44 AM If you're in SA then yes, he is correct......http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/Transport,%20travel%20and%20motoring/Motoring/Vehicle%20Standards%20and%20Modifications/Passenger%20Car%20Track%20list%20%20-%20%20May%20%202012.pdf pg46 for utesdon't know about other states but would/should be the same
Wenier Legacy Donating Member 1,736 Member For: 16y 8m 11d Gender: Male Location: Christchurch, New Zealand Posted 07/08/13 01:02 AM Posted 07/08/13 01:02 AM (edited) Normally its 2300kg for auto and 1600kg for manual not taking into account any state laws. Funny that the ute is less as mine is heavy than a sedan. And even as a manual it can tow over 1600kg.Quite funny reading that list, the vehicle with better brakes has the lower tow capacity. (being xr6t vs tornado) Edited 07/08/13 01:06 AM by Wenier
JimmyRickard Member 18 Member For: 13y 1m 22d Posted 07/08/13 08:48 AM Author Posted 07/08/13 08:48 AM I honestly don't understand it, the construction of the car is virtually the same and the F6 would have even more pulling power.
BenDoCo I'm getten too old for this s**t Legacy Donating Member 4,509 Member For: 13y 5m 22d Gender: Male Location: A big bridge over a river in South Australia Posted 07/08/13 09:01 AM Posted 07/08/13 09:01 AM Yeah F* knows why......keep checking the thread though as someone will be able to explain the reason for the difference
Wenier Legacy Donating Member 1,736 Member For: 16y 8m 11d Gender: Male Location: Christchurch, New Zealand Posted 07/08/13 09:24 AM Posted 07/08/13 09:24 AM To be honest the only difference is the gearbox and I think they put the lower limit on manuals cause if ya not careful you'd smoke the clutch with a heavy load being that 1st gear is reasonably tall. As for F6 vs normal, there should be a difference in those either in reality but the people who sometimes write these things don't always have a clue.
tab Sucker Moderating Team 32,303 Member For: 22y 5m 4d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 07/08/13 09:29 AM Posted 07/08/13 09:29 AM Suspension, clearance & tyre ratings. Manuals have a lower rating because of the clutch. 1
southside Member Member 868 Member For: 17y 8m 26d Gender: Male Location: Radelaide.. Real Posted 08/08/13 01:32 AM Posted 08/08/13 01:32 AM Mate of mine killed his ZF towing there 2300kg Malibu Wake setter. Was a 2010 FG XR6T, I've also been told the turbos dont like the added pressure/ resistance with towing. But I am in the same boat as u, I have a FPV GS super charged V8 ute with 450rwkw, and soon I might attempt to use it to tow my up and coming drift car. But still uncertain of it.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now