boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 13d Posted 11/01/13 07:19 AM Posted 11/01/13 07:19 AM Guys,I have put an air to oil tranny cooler, on by BF, (ZF) but have noticed the thermo fans are coming on far more often since the install.Does anyone know what the ideal tranny oil temperature range is?Would my tranny oil getting hot trigger the thermos to go off..?Is there a temp sensor for the tranny oil?If so, can a run of the mill obd11 scan tool read the tranny oil temp?I'm sort of worried about getting air flow to the cooler when stuck in traffic on hot days.Any input is appreciated.Cheers
old_mate Member 767 Member For: 20y 7m 19d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 11/01/13 10:41 AM Posted 11/01/13 10:41 AM http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.php?/topic/75623-Zf-Auto-'milkshake'
SilkG6ET Member 43 Member For: 17y 1m 9d Posted 11/01/13 12:34 PM Posted 11/01/13 12:34 PM (edited) Guys,I have put an air to oil tranny cooler, on by BF, (ZF) but have noticed the thermo fans are coming on far more often since the install.Does anyone know what the ideal tranny oil temperature range is?Would my tranny oil getting hot trigger the thermos to go off..?Is there a temp sensor for the tranny oil?If so, can a run of the mill obd11 scan tool read the tranny oil temp?I'm sort of worried about getting air flow to the cooler when stuck in traffic on hot days.Any input is appreciated.CheersHi boost69My logs show zf trans temps around 80Deg C are normal for an FG.I had an external cooler installed on the zf today, and the temp now sits around 55-65DegC @ 25C Ambient temp, acording to the DashDaqXL logs. Edited 11/01/13 12:36 PM by SilkG6ET
old_mate Member 767 Member For: 20y 7m 19d Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 11/01/13 11:21 PM Posted 11/01/13 11:21 PM Have a look at the last few pages of the link above, if anything your trans temps will be way cooler than before. Warmest I have seen is 85degrees after a thrashing at the lights, coolant temp was 99. And it dropped back to the 70s once at 70kph for a few minutes. My cooler is also behind the foglight.
boost69 Legacy Donating Member 737 Member For: 21y 4m 13d Posted 13/01/13 01:15 AM Author Posted 13/01/13 01:15 AM Thanks for the reply guys.The only thing that worries me is that I have the trans cooler laying flat, inbetween the intercooler and the bumper/under tray.I have also cut a hole in the under tray to try and get some better airflow.Not sure if the cooler laying flat is getting optimal air flow.I'm thinking about repositioning it.You guys think it's ok where it is now?
kochxr6 Member 56 Member For: 15y 11m 25d Gender: Male Location: South Australia Posted 14/01/13 01:38 AM Posted 14/01/13 01:38 AM My trans oil sits at around 92degrees at normal driving with no trans cooler. Getting my zf serviced on Friday though. Been a bit funny at cold lately not wanting to change gears till I'm doing 3000rpm at slow acceleration so hoping the new fluid will fix that.
Bulletime Legacy Donating Member 937 Member For: 15y 8m 23d Gender: Male Posted 14/01/13 10:02 AM Posted 14/01/13 10:02 AM Let us know how the service helps the shifting, mines getting a bit sloppy too
SuckSqueezeBangBlow ʎǝʞuoɯ ɹoıuǝs Legacy Donating Member 1,808 Member For: 17y 9m 16d Gender: Male Posted 14/01/13 10:29 AM Posted 14/01/13 10:29 AM The only thing that worries me is that I have the trans cooler laying flat, inbetween the intercooler and the bumper/under tray.You guys think it's ok where it is now?I'd be worrying about bottoming out on something and knocking a hose off or putting a hole in the cooler and emptying the trans slowly.
ScatterBrain Legacy Donating Member 316 Member For: 17y 4m Gender: Male Location: Brisbane Posted 14/01/13 10:50 AM Posted 14/01/13 10:50 AM (edited) I know from experience if you get a hole in the oil cooler no matter how small, It does not leak slowly. Edited 14/01/13 10:50 AM by ScatterBrain
JETURBO ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE... Legacy Donating Member 23,708 Member For: 18y 4m 1d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 14/01/13 10:52 AM Posted 14/01/13 10:52 AM ^^^ 2nd that ^^^
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now