NEV2XS Member 4 Member For: 14y 5m 11d Posted 28/10/12 08:44 PM Posted 28/10/12 08:44 PM Need some help here......I have a 03 XR6T whats happening is when there is no key in the ignition or power on what so ever the interior fan comes on and wont turn off. The fan is at high speed . Started with fan sticking on lower speeds then finally only high. Originally could disconect from batery and fan would be ok after overnight with no batery but finally stays on all the time thought there was a hot plastic smell at the time. The only way I can make it stop is by removing the fuse at this stage as what been happening is causing flat batteries........so any advice would be of great helpford have suggested that it is a short some where as a problem with HIM unit does not do this when key is offa/c vents all work okI wondered if it is a problem with 3 heat sinked transisters on HIM unitI saw a sujestion about water in a conection on passenger side below air in takeoppend this cleaned no helpI have had this problem for 2 years as $1000 or so for HIM and installing and I was just using to go to work and backAny suggestionsthanks Nev
Kroozin Menace Legacy Donating Member 1,990 Member For: 15y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 28/10/12 08:50 PM Posted 28/10/12 08:50 PM I know this is mega captain obvious but have ya replaced the relay?
NEV2XS Member 4 Member For: 14y 5m 11d Posted 28/10/12 09:37 PM Author Posted 28/10/12 09:37 PM Hi there nothing is too obviousI was looking for a relay that controls thisbut I thought they had gone to solid state control in the HIM unitwhich relay is itthere are 3 fan relays in the engine fuse box but I thought these were for the engine cooling fansthe other relay is the WAC relay (how the hell do you get the little black relays out white catch at base is there some type of locking or just force it a bit more)
400KwXr6t Member 129 Member For: 19y 1m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 28/10/12 09:49 PM Posted 28/10/12 09:49 PM I have same problem. I disconnect the fan under the glove box which is easier than the fuse in the bonnet. Got a him module off eBay for 150 but haven't fitted it yet so don't know I this will fix it. Interested I someone comes up with a fix. I'm the same bout 2 years on a 2002 ba and does it randomly.
Bonjaz Legacy Donating Member 1,841 Member For: 17y 9m 22d Gender: Male Location: CQ Posted 28/10/12 10:13 PM Posted 28/10/12 10:13 PM mine did this randomly on my fg once...I started car then turned car off and it was ok...funny you say about the watery connection I think it was just after I went through the carwash
Kroozin Menace Legacy Donating Member 1,990 Member For: 15y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 29/10/12 12:30 AM Posted 29/10/12 12:30 AM (edited) Actually you might be onto something there.. I just pulled all 3 relays on mine and the fan kept running.Ive got a wiring diagram here somewhere Ill have a geez Edited 29/10/12 12:42 AM by Kroozin
Kroozin Menace Legacy Donating Member 1,990 Member For: 15y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 29/10/12 12:48 AM Posted 29/10/12 12:48 AM (edited) Edited 29/10/12 12:59 AM by Kroozin
400KwXr6t Member 129 Member For: 19y 1m 13d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 29/10/12 11:20 AM Posted 29/10/12 11:20 AM Yeah for some reason the fan and him has power all the time. So guess the him gets a bad earth In it that is random. The only way I can stop mine is pull the 40A fuse or the fan connection under the glovebox. Bought a him off eBay for $150 so I can have a play with the old one and have a backup if I stuff it up. Anyone opened a him module before?
TER80D Legacy Donating Member 48 Member For: 15y 2m 21d Posted 29/10/12 01:50 PM Posted 29/10/12 01:50 PM (edited) I had the exact same problem in my 2002 BA Fairmont. I kept having to disconnect the connector to the fan so that I wouldn't have a flat battery in the morning. I replaced the centrifugal fan unit just under the passenger side glovebox (extremely easy) and it was fine after that. I tested all the fuses and relays and they were all working properly so as far as I can tell the fan obviously has more in it than just a 3 wire PWM connector and electric motor. The other symptom I had was that on startup 75% of the time the fan would be fine and then go flat out anywhere between 5 to 30 minutes later and the other 25% it just started flat out.I didn't have to touch the HIM module at all. Cost me around $120 from memory (It was a while ago). Might be worth checking a wreckers for a cheapie fan unit just to test if you can get it for a good price. Edited 29/10/12 01:52 PM by TER80D
EvilDaifu Cruise Whore Moderating Team 5,130 Member For: 21y 1m 24d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 29/10/12 07:49 PM Posted 29/10/12 07:49 PM Hope they sorted this out by 2004!!! Sounds farrkn annoying Just wondering if something the matter with mine - at higher speeds I here a ticking noise as if the internal fan rotors are hitting something. Prolly just bearings wearing out
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now