An Unconventional Way To 300Rwkw

Bellato

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 5d

Hey guys before everyone starts telling me to get a new tuner or get new diff bushes lol, just hear me out.

So read pretty much every 300 thread for FG's because I want to work out what I need to get there so I can start getting money together and sourcing parts. So from what I read, and what seems to be the norm I decided I was going to go for 60lb dekkas (maybe 80 if I decide to go e85), 100 cell cat (probably venom), PWR or PW stepped cooler with piping and I have a custom airbox with K n N panel (was thinking turbo side but don't think its worth it and the battery relo). So basically this should get me close to 300 at the treads. Total cost would be between $4-5k (with xcal 3 and tune - probably CV or Tunehouse)

Being a uni student reality struck that I won't get that kind of cash for a while so I rang a tuner that I heard good things about in Queanbeyan (Im in Canberra) to see if it was worth just getting a vcm tune for now. Well heres my dilemma. He tells me he has a stage 1 kit which is for 300rwkw which includes 4inch dump, 100 cell cat, injectors, x3 and tune (custom airbox is normally part of it but I already have that). So he said he can do all this for $3.5k which is about right.

So I began questioning him why he doesn't change at least the cooler pipes and he said he has never had an FG crack the cooler pipes ever. Then I asked about the cooler and heatsoak as well as power, n he said unless I'm doing huge back to back runs the cooler will hold up fine, especially for my general driving around. Then I asked about what about the dump without turbo mods and he said he can stop the boost from spiking mostly with the tune (which I have read has been done before).

Although I'm hesitant (mostly about cooler piping) he is willing to guarantee his work, and by the sounds of it will guarantee the piping not too crack! So if he is willing to cover the costs if something happens (because he backs his own work) then it should be fairly safe.

I know most people will say he's another intune and stuff, but basically has anyone had any success with these mods and how many people have actually cracked their cooler pipes? Like everyone says they can break but I haven't heard of anyone who has actually cracked them.

Anyway like I said guys don't tear me to shreds here I do see the path most people follow and I was originally going to go that way, just want to see if this unconventional way will achieve the same result?

Cheers

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 23d

Bud what he said is actually true !

Cooler pipes are a piece of string situation most just do em for piece of mind ( yes heaps have split at even stock levels of psi)

Yes a stock cooler is ok if your not pushing it ( my stock cooler did 11.75 )

Yes turbo waste gate mods arent needed for the boost and way he will controll it

This is the real issue

Ull want more than 300 one day and ull start spending again set your goals and stick with it easy as that

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 5m 13d

To be honest, if the cost of getting your car to where you want it is the main restriction in everything than
I
would say leave it standard. Dont go to another shop just because its cheaper, 9 time out of 10 people regret it later. keep saving your money and when you have the cash then go to the tuner of your choice, not the tuner of your current financial situations choice.

• Like 8

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9d

this ^^^^

I originally planned on getting my tune about 6 months into ownership.

the more research I did the more parts I had to gather.

im 2 months off from owning my t for 2 years now.

finally have 95% of the parts needed so will be getting tune in a month or so.

spend the money once, much smarter descision.

I just hope around 400rwkw is going to satisfy me and I dont want to go for more later!

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 15d

Sounds ok to me. Maybe look at coolerworx or herrod? piping. Not much extra and peace of mind. At least accept that it may happen. Everything else sounds good. Major problem with the stock cooler will be on a racetrack or waiting for your turn at the qtr where you will get major heatsoak

• Donating Members

Sweet thanks for all the positive comments guys!

I realise the dump probably isn't necessary but I can ask the tuner why he recommends it (maybe he gets a deal on dump and cat or something)

300 is my goal and probably my only ever goal! The only reason I'll go for more is if I can somehow afford to keep it as a weekend car, but if that's the case it'll be pushed to the limits of the stock motor (but I think this is just wishful thinking)

In terms of finances I'm at uni so saving up an extra grand is like 2 to 3 months for me so even though it makes sense to just save up a bit more It's a lot of extra waiting, hence why I considered the vcm tune alone to start.

I saw a stock cooler with aftermarket piping on gumtree last nigh for like $250 so could snatch that up and sell the cooler, plus similar bargains come along all the time. I think piece of mind for a few hundred is worth it. $4k for 300rwkw sounds good to me

Edited by Bellato

• Member For: 17y 11m 27d

an intercooler gets hot every time the car comes on to boost, the higher the boost, the more heat it has to deal with, those that say it will only affect the car on back to back dyno runs or the race track are either talking out their arses or have no idea!

• Like 3

• Donating Members

Well don't quote me word for word, it was a brief conversation, probably going to see the tuner 2moro if I have time and talk to him more. From your experience ratter how well can the stock cooler hold 300rwkw before heat soak starts to kick in? For the occasional thrash on the street will the stock cooler hold up?

• Member For: 12y 11m 21d

Try a hot summers day stop/start traffic, see how fast your intake temps rise with the stock IC and much this effects your power when you go to take off. Heat soak still occurs with the bigger IC but takes longer to ocurr and the temps fall faster once moving. I have a intake temp gauge and have watched the temperature rise and fall with day to day driving.

Edited by wa g6et