Loewe Member 10 Member For: 15y 11m 21d Posted 17/03/12 07:08 AM Posted 17/03/12 07:08 AM Hi Everyone,I've got a fg super pursuit and of course I want to beef up the audio system even though it's got premium audio. I've enquired at my audio shop and they say "yep adding an amp is not a problem, we'll just add some converters for about $80".Now I like my stereo's, not big bass booming machines but I like the music to sound how it should be,not waffled and the high's and lows sounding crisp.I mentioned about audison amps and using a bit 1 processor but they just said its a waste of time.Are these $80 converters all I need or should I spend the extra money and get proper line level conveters.I'm looking at running a big infinity sub amp and just a 2 channel amp for a good set of front splits with my excelon dvc sub.Any advice would be great.Cheers Aj
Panda Eyes flame magnet Legacy Donating Member 5,674 Member For: 18y 4m 17d Gender: Male Location: adelaide hills- 'race air' central Posted 17/03/12 12:16 PM Posted 17/03/12 12:16 PM whats the diff between what they say they will supply and 'proper line level converters'? they shouldnt need to be expensive. try jaycar as they have been supplying high to low level converters for years.www.jaycar.com.au
MiKa Legacy Donating Member 4,243 Member For: 20y 1m 12d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, VIC Posted 17/03/12 01:57 PM Posted 17/03/12 01:57 PM IMO line level converters are sh*t, I've had a cheap one $50 and an expensive one $300, your best bet is to get an amp that does the converting itself (my cousin has one in his subaru and it HAMMERS, all up cost $700, amp, sub, box and install from JB, JL audio gear) or get a aftermarket head unit, which I have, and can muck around with heaps of settings, iPod connectivity, USB etc.. 1
Panda Eyes flame magnet Legacy Donating Member 5,674 Member For: 18y 4m 17d Gender: Male Location: adelaide hills- 'race air' central Posted 17/03/12 10:00 PM Posted 17/03/12 10:00 PM dont get talked into 'brand name' stuff either. they may try to convince you that you need 'sony everything' so it all works well together. my a**e.I have an ef that has jaycar 'response' stuff in. people cant believe its not 'mainstream' gear after hearing it and I pop the boot. alot more bang for your buck too.
Loewe Member 10 Member For: 15y 11m 21d Posted 17/03/12 10:56 PM Author Posted 17/03/12 10:56 PM Yep it seems my hunch was right, the good ol sales pitch of you need this, and this and this and THEN it will work. I want to use the stuff that or at least some of the stuff that I'll be pulling out of my current car and re-use in the ute.I've got an infinity reference 611A amp which unfortunately doesnt have speaker level inputs.A pair of kenwood exceleon DVC 10" subs KFC XW-1002DVC.A pair of pioneer bullet splits. TSC-1625.I agree the response stuff is good, I used to have a set of their response splits in an older car and 1 of their older bright blue style response amps, the 2x100wrms. I just want to try and re-use some of my current gear 1st.I'm probably looking at, (after the quick read on here) An audison 3channel srx3 amp, it has hi-level inputs then just using 1 of my kenwood dvc subs and my pair of bullet splits. Dynamat the doors and rear of the cab and some of the floor maybe, get some nice custom enclosure and amp rack done for behind the seats. I think that's all I'm going to need.
Panda Eyes flame magnet Legacy Donating Member 5,674 Member For: 18y 4m 17d Gender: Male Location: adelaide hills- 'race air' central Posted 18/03/12 01:14 AM Posted 18/03/12 01:14 AM sounds good have fun
sg2150 Legacy Donating Member 30 Member For: 16y 11m 4d Gender: Male Posted 06/04/12 12:57 AM Posted 06/04/12 12:57 AM I wouldnt use line level converts if I was you, you lose too much sound quality from them. Try using an audiocontrol LC2i converter. much better sound quality. check the video. I run one of these with a JL Audio 10w6 and it sounds great.
quadie Legacy Donating Member 720 Member For: 20y 10m 29d Gender: Male Location: Muswellbrook,NSW Posted 06/04/12 08:25 AM Posted 06/04/12 08:25 AM cheap audiocontrol lc6i but way better than any 50 buck convertorexpensive and want topnotch ausionson bit.1 , alpine pxa-660(have on for slae cheap)I have done alot of testing on these 1
cobramad Member 824 Member For: 21y 2m 15d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 06/04/12 11:31 AM Posted 06/04/12 11:31 AM LC6i is the go, intelligent converter and you end up with a signal that's worth amplifying!!
MiKa Legacy Donating Member 4,243 Member For: 20y 1m 12d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne, VIC Posted 07/04/12 01:17 AM Posted 07/04/12 01:17 AM I had an LC6i and the sound wasn't as good as a after marked head unit... Had a system in my old car splits, 2 type R 12" subs, 1000Wrms mono, 4 channel, all Alpine, and it hammered, then got the T, put the same system in but didn't want to change the look of the inside so went through a few LLC's, and it never sounded the same as the old car, so in went the head unit. The bass was no where near as deep and hit as hard with an LLC.. this is from my experience...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now