Eoi: Bunya Mountain Cruise

tab

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 19y 11m 25d

There's been plenty of talk about this over the years, and a bit more interest lately, but before going any further what's your preference...day trip or sleepover?

Bunya Mountains is about 250kms from Brisbane and is pretty-much halfway between Dalby & Kingaroy. So we're talking three hours each way.

If it is a sleepover it'll probably have to be two nights as most of the chalets/cabins etc. have a minimum two night stay, so it'd be an up Friday arvo and back Sunday ordeal.

Probably looking at March or April for this, definitely before winter in any case.

So please vote above...but only do so if you have a genuine interest. Select both options if you don't mind either way.

Thanks

• UNDERCOAT CRUISER!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 3m 2d

Trent,

I'll most likely be working saturdays for quite a while,so I would be able to stay saturday night,but wouldn't get up there till after lunch on the saturday.so I'm easy either way, day trip or 1 day sleepover.

• I <3 Floods
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 8m 18d

I might have a crack at a cruise route tomorrow... How upset do people get if there is dirt involved? Dirt either way but more some and less others :-)

• I <3 Floods

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Dinmore,+Queensland&daddr=Lake+WIvenhoe+to:Yarraman,+Queensland+to:Maidenwell+Queensland+to:Bunya+Mountains,+Queensland+to:Crows+Nest+to:Toowoomba,+Queensland+to:Dinmore+Qld&hl=en&ll=-27.196014,152.120819&spn=1.122525,2.113495&sll=-27.410176,152.173691&sspn=0.560184,1.056747&geocode=FfT0Wv4dZAkcCSnPDvomUkuRazGght7zWqMCBQ%3BFT-2X_4dBi8XCSmdcK682R2UazFwxCB_8e4ABA%3BFd5vZv4d2QwPCSm5nLr6TciVazHQvyB_8e4ABA%3BFaxYZv4dJkYMCSkBFslRNMGVazGgvyB_8e4ABA%3BFU4JZv4dr5gHCSk54M9DZu-VazHgvSB_8e4ABA%3BFYQDYP4dfS4QCSmn1Gcn_n2WazEQwCB_8e4ABA%3BFdNmW_4dR6IOCSlh8mPqaVyWazGKUF0gExfXdw%3BFfT0Wv4dZAkcCSnPDvomUkuRazGght7zWqMCBQ&vpsrc=6&mra=ls&t=m&z=10

Not sure if this will work.. Started it in dinmore as that's about my limit of actually knowing my way around brisbane.. However I reckon Wivenhoe would make a good meeting point for everyone (I'd drive down there from Toowoomba). I would recommend full tanks at the start of the run as I'm really unsure what places sell 98.. Most of them do sell 95 though.. Bearing in mind that a little bit of spirited driving on the hill sections of the Bunya's run will hit your fuel tank hard.. So while most of these cars should be able to do 500km's to a tank easily.. I can kill nearly 1/3 of a tank just running up from Oakey.

Anyone looking for good photo ops I'd recommend a stop in at Lake Perserverance on the return trip (Near Crow's Nest).. Went there during a geology course a couple years back and it was a pretty nice area..

Other photo ops will include Bunya Mountains parking area and probably Wivenhoe.. Someone could throw bird seed all over Tab's car at the Bunya's and snap some shots of that?

There are plenty of good scenic lookouts on the roads around the Bunya's however depending on the number of cars that sign up I might run up there a week before and check which ones are going to fit the amount of vehicles. (Some could hold 20 cars. Others 3)...

For accommodation.. Chalets range from about $120 - $XXX per night.. I recently stayed in one that was $130 a night but could sleep 6 people.. There are a couple really big houses up there that apparently can sleep 10 people, but are higher priced. But http://www.bunyamountains.com/accommodation/characters is probably my favourite place I've seen up there and sleeps 8 for about $220 a night..

Staying in chalets.. You'll need to bring towels, bed linen, tea towels (For cleaning up after yourself) etc.. There are a couple places to eat up there.. Alternatively I'd recommend BBQ's.. Most of the chalets have a bbq.. and it's pretty easy to cook a big feed up for many people on those.. But the shop costs a fortune.. So if you're wanting to bbq take an esky up..

Camping is an option for accomodation.. You can't access the housing areas as they are 'gated' communities.. (But you can jump the fence).. Dandebah camping area doesn't allow open fires but it does have hot showers and pretty good amenities.. Even if this trip is organised in March/April it's probably still gonna be friggin cold at night time up there.. Chalets all have fireplaces.. There are other camping grounds around but they don't have showers.. So you'll need to choose what's important.. Hot shower or open fire..

There are typically 3 roads to get to the Bunya's.. 2 of them do have cattle on the roads quite often (one is dirt).. So if you've got someone in front of you it really pays to be watching them.. Especially if they are kicking up dust..

I've deliberately avoided towns like Dalby and Kingaroy for the run because I don't think there is much interesting to see there..

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team

:bowdown:

As a rule...no intentional gravel roads unless it's minor or insignificant. I myself don't care as mine cops it frequently but allot of these vehicles are only weekend cars (I.e. a certain someone was unsure if his wipers would actually work for the cruise last weekend if that gives you an idea).

Another idea is just staying one night in a pub or something in Kingaroy or Dalby then go via Bunyas on the way back to Brisbane.

Is there gravel sections on the Bunya Highway? Was told it was sealed all the way?

• Like 1

• I <3 Floods

The route I planned I think is sealed the entire way with one small section of 4.0m seal (Single running lane)... Given that road has Average Daily Traffic of about 20 vehicles chances of encountering something are slim (I never have). Bunya Mountains Rd is part gravel (But not too rough - Weather could change that).. and Maidenwell - Bunya Mountains Rd is partially gravel (And like driving on corrugated iron).. (I haven't included these in the route).

We still get stock crossings though..

I like the idea of the one night in Kingaroy maybe? Saves hassles of trying to book accomodation in groups of people (Who may or may not pull out at the last minute).. Also makes food easier..

• Sucker
  • Moderating Team

Cool, thanks for all that.

Will just see what the consensus is and then starting making proper plans I guess.