jetmani Member 28 Member For: 17y 11d Posted 12/12/11 09:01 AM Posted 12/12/11 09:01 AM I have a slight wining noise between 90-100kmh, when I back off the noise goes away, I think its the diff, Are diff issues common in the FG?Where's the best place in Melbourne to get it checked out and also not get ripped off?
bossmang FREAKY Legacy Donating Member 12,441 Member For: 16y 9m 12d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 12/12/11 09:04 AM Posted 12/12/11 09:04 AM I take it your warranty has run out?do you get the whine at slow speeds 5-10kmh?
unclewal Legacy Donating Member 583 Member For: 16y 17d Posted 12/12/11 10:51 AM Posted 12/12/11 10:51 AM FG Very common, mine had it from day one, ford said "normal operation" after several attempts to get it replaced I modified it so I will be getting a truetrak built for it when money allows, ford factory diff=rubbish. If you have no warranty speak to Mick or Bel from Pitlane and see if they recommend someone to you. If you have warranty trundle back to Ford and ask for a fix/replacement ASAP.
jetmani Member 28 Member For: 17y 11d Posted 13/12/11 12:03 AM Author Posted 13/12/11 12:03 AM Warranty has run out, I know have 109,000 ks , no whine noise at low speeds
bossmang FREAKY Legacy Donating Member 12,441 Member For: 16y 9m 12d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 13/12/11 08:33 AM Posted 13/12/11 08:33 AM the whine at low speeds was usualy a good giveaway that the diff was shot.strange it only does it at high speed!if the noise stops after you stop accelerating at high speed I dont think it will be the diff then. the diff is still spinning regardless.
F1PERFORMANCE Legacy Donating Member 104 Member For: 17y 6m 24d Gender: Male Location: VIC Posted 13/12/11 09:41 AM Posted 13/12/11 09:41 AM (edited) The pinion has 2 bearings a large and small - large noisy under load and small on coast - preload on these bearings can change due to torque that goes through the spacer (they wear or collapse and bearing preload changes) preload is very important when it comes to diff whine - if its lsd noise try an oil change Edited 13/12/11 09:46 AM by F1PERFORMANCE
jetmani Member 28 Member For: 17y 11d Posted 14/12/11 07:44 AM Author Posted 14/12/11 07:44 AM I took the car to a diff joint in Melbourne yesterday , the guy took it for a drive and he also seems to think bearings and mentioned wave spacers from Ford, he quoted me between $650 and $1500 to repair,Does this sound like a fair price?
unclewal Legacy Donating Member 583 Member For: 16y 17d Posted 14/12/11 09:04 AM Posted 14/12/11 09:04 AM For 1500 thast a completely new truetrak and gears included, not standard ford sh*te, but if its on the lower side $650 its a much better option if you arent going to be running serious power through it
MexicanBatman G666E Turbo!!! Member 1,008 Member For: 16y 8m 21d Gender: Male Posted 14/12/11 09:12 AM Posted 14/12/11 09:12 AM You get me a new true trac supplied and fitted for $1500 and I'll put my name down for 10 of them, 1 for me and I'll sell the rest for $2000 still cheap and profit!!5 places I called quoted prices starting above $2k even one place mentioned here that was supposedly $1550
Henz Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag Legacy Donating Member 9,946 Member For: 18y 6m 17d Gender: Male Location: Vic Posted 14/12/11 09:22 AM Posted 14/12/11 09:22 AM Apparantly a true track lokka is $1460@cost before labour etc.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now