helbz Member 176 Member For: 15y 5m 26d Posted 02/07/11 03:54 PM Posted 02/07/11 03:54 PM (edited) Just wanting opinions on possible diff problems before I go and see someone on tuesday, Maybe someone else has had this problem. When taking a left hand corner or swerving left and right to perform an S you can hear grinding what I can't tell is where it is coming from. If I place my hand on the centre console cover u can physically feel grinding and slight knocking when flicking the wheel left and right (this is the best way to produce the problem). Anyone have any ideas ? Half shafts ? diff internals ?.... I had my diff bushes replaced at wholesale suspension and it feels great and has eliminated all associated bush drama's but this grinding was there before and still remains afterwards.Also, I have jacked the car up and spun the wheels and there seems to be a slight lag before the opposite side wheel engages and spins. On most holdens I have owned the opposite wheels instantly spins on an LSD.Any info is most appreciated ! Edited 02/07/11 03:58 PM by helbz
Dillz Three pedals are better then two.. Legacy Donating Member 15,637 Member For: 19y 4m 11d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 02/07/11 08:48 PM Posted 02/07/11 08:48 PM I thought that was normal, the Limited Slip part?
Nomis Member 231 Member For: 16y 5m 16d Gender: Male Posted 03/07/11 01:37 AM Posted 03/07/11 01:37 AM Checked diff oil level?
hypnodoc It's All In Your Mind Legacy Donating Member 2,198 Member For: 22y 11m 7d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 03/07/11 04:00 AM Posted 03/07/11 04:00 AM Maybe its in the front end? Check front hubs (wheel bearings) mine was similiar until I replaced them.
helbz Member 176 Member For: 15y 5m 26d Posted 03/07/11 10:40 AM Author Posted 03/07/11 10:40 AM (edited) Interesting, Do you think I would feel the vibration/grinding under the centre console if it was front wheel bearings? I thought this vibration I can feel through the console lid would be from the box back ? And any wheel bearings I have had go in the past they usually have a howling sound. The sound/grinding was there before and after a diff oil change Edited 03/07/11 11:05 AM by RHR No need to quote above post. USE FAST OR ADD REPLY
helbz Member 176 Member For: 15y 5m 26d Posted 24/07/11 08:05 PM Author Posted 24/07/11 08:05 PM (edited) Just incase anyone wants to know in the future my problem was the mount on the gearbox was causing all these problems, The Xforce exhaust when the car was cold was clearing the chassis and when hot would grow and touch the chassis. I replaced the gearbox mount as you could visually see it was torn and once replaced moved the box into its correct position, this then moved the exhaust across and was rubbing on the chassis full time. A few mods to the exhaust and both problems are fixed. $140 from ford for mount and $40 to fit it. It's like a new car now Edited 24/07/11 08:10 PM by helbz
Matt_971 Member 41 Member For: 18y 4m 25d Posted 26/07/11 10:58 AM Posted 26/07/11 10:58 AM auto or manual.This could be my problem. I have a vibration and have had it with 2 different diffs. It goes away for first 10kms when I swapped the diff but was back after giving it some stick. could be gearbox mount for sure.cheers
helbz Member 176 Member For: 15y 5m 26d Posted 26/07/11 10:37 PM Author Posted 26/07/11 10:37 PM (edited) It's a ZF Auto mate, If this is your problem you will know as soon as the mount is replaced as the exhaust will be extremely close to the chassis and need to be modified with solid rubber exhaust mounts or the pipe heated and bent into place. This problem is a direct result from people installing an aftermarket exhaust when the gearbox mount is torn. Edited 26/07/11 10:38 PM by helbz
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now