zayd687 Member 74 Member For: 16y 8m 22d Posted 17/05/11 01:18 PM Posted 17/05/11 01:18 PM hi guysas previously posting here ive converted my xt into a turbo at home.I've got a custom 3 inch stainless steel/mildsteel dump pipe made ( cost me 350.00 ).it connects into 3 inch cat into a 2.5 inch all the way back to the diff where it separates and has 2.5 inch exits on both sides ( from the diff) ( 2 x 2.5inch outlets like a " [ " )I've talked to my tuner who is urging me to either a) get a 5inch cat, 4inch dump pipe and a twin 2.5 inch exhaust.now I've already spent alot of money which I've told him and his suggestion is to get a 5 inch cat and a stock xr6 turbo exhaust and that should net me 280rwkw about with 8 psi.im only after 260rwkw. ive got cams stage 2 in them, soon going to fit walbro 341 255 litres fuel pump, bosch 440cc injectors ( green top ). and now im not sure how to go about the exhaust.should I just get a 2.5inch twin exhaust catback and just a 4 inch cat? or should I just get a standard exhaust and leave the cat.whats your guys suggestions ... im happy with 260rwkw because my transmission mite fail ( its an auto)any advice would be appreciated I cant sleep!!!!!!!!!! and the car needs a tune/exorcism.. its gone wacky.im pretty restricted with my funds :(
arronm Dropping a turd Legacy Donating Member 9,520 Member For: 18y 11m 6d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 17/05/11 02:04 PM Posted 17/05/11 02:04 PM You should have just thrown on a stock BA or FG turbo exhaust (turbo to tip). But for now just change the 2.5 section from the cat to where it separates (diff) to 3 inch. Why dont you start off with a mild tune of say 250. what cooler do you have.
zayd687 Member 74 Member For: 16y 8m 22d Posted 17/05/11 10:40 PM Author Posted 17/05/11 10:40 PM do you suggest I should change the cat aswell? I didnt think the fg stock exhausts would fit.its a stock cooler, as im onli running under 10 pounds. the block itself cant handle I think more then that otherwise upgraded valves n a stronger bottom end id need. id be running 8 pounds.
Panda Eyes flame magnet Legacy Donating Member 5,674 Member For: 18y 4m 17d Gender: Male Location: adelaide hills- 'race air' central Posted 17/05/11 11:01 PM Posted 17/05/11 11:01 PM unfortunately youve wasted your money if you want decent power. a stock ba xr6t exhaust is trin 2.25"- youve gone backwards from stock....
zayd687 Member 74 Member For: 16y 8m 22d Posted 17/05/11 11:40 PM Author Posted 17/05/11 11:40 PM I didnt think 3 years ago I'd put a turbo on the car. any suggestions?
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 10d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 17/05/11 11:47 PM Posted 17/05/11 11:47 PM Find somebody looking for and exhaust upgrade for an NA 6cyl, Sell them the exhaust you have, Pick up cheap second hand turbo exhaust. Pocket the difference.
Dillz Three pedals are better then two.. Legacy Donating Member 15,637 Member For: 19y 4m 7d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 17/05/11 11:55 PM Posted 17/05/11 11:55 PM Agreed.I'm pretty sure the Ba exhausts were ok for that power but you could always throw in a high flow cat before you put it on the car.Sorry to say but a bit of research would of steered you clear of the exhaust you had made up as it's just way to small for these cars.But if you can find a Ba turbo exhaust they arnt that expensive I've seen people even give them away before.
zayd687 Member 74 Member For: 16y 8m 22d Posted 17/05/11 11:58 PM Author Posted 17/05/11 11:58 PM Find somebody looking for and exhaust upgrade for an NA 6cyl, Sell them the exhaust you have, Pick up cheap second hand turbo exhaust. Pocket the difference.called wreckersthey quoted me 350.00 for the whole exhaust off a ba turbo. is this fair?
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 10d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 18/05/11 12:01 AM Posted 18/05/11 12:01 AM $350 is fair, check out the classifieds and/or put a wanted ad in there. Turbo exhaust come up all the time. Average moving price IMHO would be around the $250 mark
zayd687 Member 74 Member For: 16y 8m 22d Posted 18/05/11 12:03 AM Author Posted 18/05/11 12:03 AM Agreed.I'm pretty sure the Ba exhausts were ok for that power but you could always throw in a high flow cat before you put it on the car.Sorry to say but a bit of research would of steered you clear of the exhaust you had made up as it's just way to small for these cars.But if you can find a Ba turbo exhaust they arnt that expensive I've seen people even give them away before.I thought 2.5 inch was enough for the barra 6 n/a?I understand I made a mistake with the dump pipe. im trying to rectify it, its all been a big learning point for me. never understood that these cars were in need of such big exhaust systems... still amazes me. I actually first took the tuner as joke when he said it then I realised I was the joke for installing a 3inch dump pipe :(
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now