Car Wont Turn Over

MeatWod

• Member For: 16y 11m 2d

I've tried searching.. My car wont even turn over.

I started her up pulled out of the garage, went to start it again 2hrs later and all I get is relay's clicking, ive checked the fuses, swapped the relays, checked the terminals charged it up as it was a little flat nothing has helped

Next move is to jack it up and check power is getting to the stater motor/solinoid is there anything simple I should be checking first? Thanks

• BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 20y 7m 14d

Battery might appear to be charging but it probably isnt. Could be a solenoid on the startermotor

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

Check the electrical contacts on the battery. Have a friend put a volt meter across the battery as you try to start it. See what the voltage drops to.

• Member For: 16y 2m 19d

Is it in park? Sounds stupid but has happened so many times. If its in park(if its auto of course) turn your headlights on then try start it. If your headlights dim really bad,your battery is cactus. If all that's ok then check for power at your starter solenoid terminal.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 1m 13d

Check the electrical contacts on the battery. Have a friend put a volt meter across the battery as you try to start it. See what the voltage drops to.

If you check battery voltage while trying to turn over, it shouldn't drop below 10volts

Yeah have already checked battery voltage, dosnt drop at all when trying to start, lights dont dim etc (and yes it's in park I've had that happen to myself aswell haha) ill jack it up tomorrow and see if there is power getting to the starter solinoid :(

• Here since the start...
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 24d

The clicking you can is probably the start solenoid.

When you get under there make sure the wires are tight on the starter. I've had a car in where it would start fine some of the time and not others. Turned out to be a loose positive lead on the starter motor.

So it's the transmission or related at least I should have picked it up earlier the dash dosnt show what gear it is in, and if you earth out the relay for the transmission park sensor on the relay she starts fine...

What now :( where abouts is the PCM?

I was working on the car, installing a carputer in the passenger footwell but I didnt really touch anything most of the gear was already in there just sorting a few things out, all the looms etc are still all connected

bit of an update checked out the schematics... I have an earth all the way from the alternator to the tranny to the PCM but no earth comes out of the PCM to go into the start relay... so im kinda thinking maybe the PCM is f*cked... :(

if I manually run an earth to the start relay the car actually starts & there are no OBD2 fault codes but the car is in serious limp mode, there is no gear selection showing on the cluster like usual and im fairly confident the sequential shifter isnt working.

the car wont rev above 1500rpm in gear and has almost no drive at all, needed a runup to get over a 1cm ledge lol.. but it does run smoothly idles fine etc so in that reguard I think the PCM is fine.

I really dont know what else to check :( might have to throw it on a trailer and take it to ford :<

Out of curosity I have a flash box 1... if I get a new PCM will my flash box still work or will it need resetting(aka thrown in the bin) and id have to get a new flash2/3?