MX Dave Legacy Donating Member 545 Member For: 15y 6m 5d Gender: Male Posted 16/04/11 04:31 PM Posted 16/04/11 04:31 PM Hello All, I am obviously a new bloke in search of that lovely spool/intake noise that we all so love!Now I realise It sounds better with more boost.. But the nearest tuning centre that I would trust with the T is about 400kms away.Im Thinking the best way to get the spool noise with a relatively stock motor and boost levels (T5z BOx) would be to get a decent Brand intercooler with a hard piping kit. A Venting to Atmo BOV ( which I allready have ) and nice flowing filter. WOuld that be the best way to go?? or is there another way?I was planning on: making my own custom intake box with a 4inch by 9 inch pod or similar closed up behind the headlight.. and one of those Half sized 600hp HDI coolers.And I was also planning on replacing some of the intake side of the turbo with hard pipes aswell, not sure if that will help the situation or not.Few questions about that.. Will it need to be on the dyno after those mods?Will that give me my spool noise?Will I gain much horsepower from those mods?Where on earth does the BOV go with the HDI kits? (im running a HKS ssqv that currently sits just above the turbo in a sort of adapter pipe)Sorry if this is in the wrong thread section and also thankyou for your replies.Dave
MX Dave Legacy Donating Member 545 Member For: 15y 6m 5d Gender: Male Posted 16/04/11 04:36 PM Author Posted 16/04/11 04:36 PM Uh I forgot to mention the new airox with the pod will be in the standard place so I will keep the crossover
dre Resident idiot. Legacy Donating Member 2,068 Member For: 16y 20d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 16/04/11 05:12 PM Posted 16/04/11 05:12 PM Just do the airbox if you want noise. I just changed my piping and it made no difference. No tune req'd but can put more boost therefore more spool!!
Henz Tampon inserted, Auto Acquired, next purchase a new handbag Legacy Donating Member 9,946 Member For: 18y 6m 21d Gender: Male Location: Vic Posted 16/04/11 10:22 PM Posted 16/04/11 10:22 PM You don't want to do mods that will require a tune yet, so just an airbox will give you some noise like dre said. A hdi cooler and a intake on the turbo side would sound the best but miggght run the risk of needing a tune. Shouldnt with no other mods but might overboost on a cold day.
MX Dave Legacy Donating Member 545 Member For: 15y 6m 5d Gender: Male Posted 17/04/11 06:25 AM Author Posted 17/04/11 06:25 AM Yeah I was afraid of that, Sucks living out of the big city sometimes, So with a cooler and a custom airbox with big pod would more than likely need the tune?And the worst that would happen is slight overboost on cold days? or are wel talking engine busting overboost?Thing is though If I put all that on and it really does need a tune.. I gotta drive 400ks with it on running the risk to get the tune.. bloody sucks.
kink Member 294 Member For: 18y 2m 6d Gender: Male Location: Adelaide Posted 19/04/11 12:49 PM Posted 19/04/11 12:49 PM I made my own box, pod, and piping, without a tune, and I am very happy with the sound. Also have the BOV vented for added fully hecticism... It was less that $100 and does just what I wanted! And still looks stock-ish...
MX Dave Legacy Donating Member 545 Member For: 15y 6m 5d Gender: Male Posted 19/04/11 01:57 PM Author Posted 19/04/11 01:57 PM I made my own box, pod, and piping, without a tune, and I am very happy with the sound. Also have the BOV vented for added fully hecticism... It was less that $100 and does just what I wanted! And still looks stock-ish...Oh sweet , I will make my own box then .
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now