Jez89 Legacy Donating Member 30 Member For: 16y 4m 3d Posted 28/03/11 08:35 PM Posted 28/03/11 08:35 PM How bad has it been rubbing? Does it feel rough? If it has gouged bits off you'll want a new compressor housing which you could probably score off the forum as alot of people upgrade this. I'd pull the whole turbo off and remove both housings (so it looks like the above pic) and have a proper look at them so you know what you need. Cartridge part number in 706451 and can be bought off ebay (US) for $800 new.
christopher m Member 11 Member For: 16y 4m 10d Posted 29/03/11 11:21 AM Author Posted 29/03/11 11:21 AM yeah not bad ,caught it faily early and drove only a few k's too get home.when I look at it it's about 1mm or less gouge.been ringing around a bit and I think I'll go to MTQ in malaga. they said that the'll inspect it and give me details as to the fix and the cost('bout1200 for a rebuild and 1860+gst for a recon)Just have to take it of myself. anyone kow of a link to a good video about that?has anyone had work done by theese guys? got any feedback?
Ralph Wiggum Moar Powar Babeh Legacy Donating Member 19,334 Member For: 21y 11d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 29/03/11 12:03 PM Posted 29/03/11 12:03 PM Got my GT3566r Built by them. Very good turbo shop, more expensive than the ex-usa cores but local support and warranty.
Jez89 Legacy Donating Member 30 Member For: 16y 4m 3d Posted 29/03/11 08:21 PM Posted 29/03/11 08:21 PM Look up the thread 'turbo removal in preparation of wastegate mod' I think its called. I found it helpfull when I did mine, it isn't toooooo bad a job.
dule Legacy Donating Member 1,180 Member For: 19y 5m 18d Gender: Male Location: Sydney Posted 30/03/11 12:52 AM Posted 30/03/11 12:52 AM While your turbo is off make sure you change/clean the oil supply screen if you haven't already, this is the most common reason for turbo failures.
christopher m Member 11 Member For: 16y 4m 10d Posted 30/03/11 12:47 PM Author Posted 30/03/11 12:47 PM thanks all for the feedback, good piont hiddeous about supporting local bussiness.where abouts would I find the oil screen, dule?,is that the same as an oil filter and do they come stock on the turbo? how often would you clean one?
Wenier Legacy Donating Member 1,736 Member For: 16y 8m 16d Gender: Male Location: Christchurch, New Zealand Posted 30/03/11 03:38 PM Posted 30/03/11 03:38 PM There is a whole topic on cleaning/removing the screen if you search for it, but it is in the banjo bolt on the block that feeds the oil to the turbo. So if you follow the line from the turbo around the front of the block then in behind the intake manifold you will find the bolt. Filter is inside the bolt held in by a circlip. Your choice is take it out all together or replace it.
christopher m Member 11 Member For: 16y 4m 10d Posted 03/04/11 06:41 AM Author Posted 03/04/11 06:41 AM have never heard of them bendings shafts. Bearings packs fail regulary on higher km cars that have never had the turbo oil supply filter changed. I'd suggest searching the board for threads on turbo failures and replacement costs and changing tuners.thanks mate, now that I got the turbo out and looked at it its def. the bearings that have gone in it...and more than likely that would be due to exactly wot your talking about. ( 95k car, that I dont know the previous history on, and probably ,its never had the filter cleaned), Bit pissed that the tuner didnt tell me about this filter,when I had the car booked in for a B service and with the upgrade going on it at the same time.Seems obvious that after a tune I was going to give it a bit, so that info more than likey would have saved my turbo.Will be removing the screen before the recon goes in...
christopher m Member 11 Member For: 16y 4m 10d Posted 03/04/11 07:37 AM Author Posted 03/04/11 07:37 AM thanks mate, now that I got the turbo out and looked at it its def. the bearings that have gone in it...and more than likely that would be due to exactly wot your talking about. ( 95k car, that I dont know the previous history on, and probably ,its never had the filter cleaned), Bit pissed that the tuner didnt tell me about this filter,when I had the car booked in for a B service and with the upgrade going on it at the same time.Seems obvious that after a tune I was going to give it a bit, so that info more than likey would have saved my turbo.Will be removing the screen before the recon goes in...will try and post photos...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now