howesy Member 30 Member For: 20y 21d Posted 24/01/11 06:58 AM Posted 24/01/11 06:58 AM Just got a brand new FG Turbo and if the vehicle breaks traction it results in severe multiple banging coming from the rear axle like it has severe axle hop and cant get power down. Its really bad and sounds like the ar&e end of the car is going to come out. Is this normal it sounds shocking. Happens with or without traction control.
Kingers. Member 227 Member For: 16y 7m 9d Posted 24/01/11 08:15 AM Posted 24/01/11 08:15 AM Axle tramp? I get it really bad in my bf, don't know how to prevent it but sure someone will be along to help, is it a ute or sedan?
howesy Member 30 Member For: 20y 21d Posted 24/01/11 08:27 AM Author Posted 24/01/11 08:27 AM (edited) Its a manual sedanThanks Edited 25/01/11 05:50 AM by RHR No need to quote above post. USE FAST REPLY
Benny Member 1,869 Member For: 23y 1m 25d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 24/01/11 10:36 AM Posted 24/01/11 10:36 AM Yes it'll be tramp. Mine does it if I deliberately try to give full throttle in 1st to provoke wheel spin. Mine stops once in second. Not good for the driveline and I usual back straight off if it happens, horid sound.Benny
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 11d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 25/01/11 04:03 AM Posted 25/01/11 04:03 AM Stiffer springs and Bilsteins will cure it. That's what I did to mine to stop it. If it has been doing it for a while as bad as you describe I'd be checking the rear diff bush for failure. It doesn't take much for them to collapse in the FG.
RHR BOOST Moderating Team 5,698 Member For: 23y 25d Gender: Male Location: Southern Highlands NSW Posted 25/01/11 05:51 AM Posted 25/01/11 05:51 AM No Cost Option in the FG's
Tocchi Sandtrap Motorsport Legacy Donating Member 2,055 Member For: 17y 10m 5d Gender: Male Location: Perth Posted 25/01/11 09:28 AM Posted 25/01/11 09:28 AM manual FG sedans <3 axle tramp.people say coilovers help, I didnt notice a difference.one method is proven... more power = less tramp.
XRT 166 Member 19 Member For: 15y 8m 8d Posted 25/01/11 09:35 AM Posted 25/01/11 09:35 AM (edited) a Kenne Bell would help with that matty............... Edited 25/01/11 10:45 AM by RHR No need to quote above post USE FAST REPLY
Bomber Carnage on the Garage Floor Legacy Donating Member 3,994 Member For: 16y 4m 19d Gender: Male Location: Gold Coast Posted 25/01/11 12:07 PM Posted 25/01/11 12:07 PM (edited) Yeah, it's not nice the first time you hear it. I'm going to do the nolathane diff bush insert (not the total replacement version) which fits inside the voids of the OEM rubber bush. This stiffens it up without the nasty noise transfer associated with the full nolathane replacement. It will prevent the rubber bush from failing and stop the diff from flogging around in the cradle which is what the 'bang' is. Pedders also recommend replacing the control blade bushes with nolathane but again, you get noise transfer (I am an old fart after all). People that have done either of these, or both, have reported a significant reduction or totally cured it. Shocks and springs also help but I don't want to fiddle with them at this stage.It's also true that more power helps. Post tune, nowhere near as bad. Mine is an auto and I have changed the way I launch to prevent it. Basically, I feed first then mash the throttle early in second. Fights the traction control, kicks to the left with wheelspin, but little or no tramp. By this time I'm into third and away clean. Probably not the best for a quick 60 foot but I'd rather that than tear the bush out, smash the hat off the diff, or poke the tailshaft though the floor! Cheers, Bomber. Edited 25/01/11 12:10 PM by bomber
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now