Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 9m 22d
Posted

Yes eenlarging the oil feed will result in the turbo overoiling and lead eventually to turbo failure.

  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 19y 9m 2d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Macksville NSW.
Posted

Fair enouigh JK....we'll can that idea....thanks for the heads up mate... :beerchug:

  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 4m
Posted

Pulled the turbo off and both housings look fine. I was unable to make the fins touch the housing at all by moving the shaft with my hands. There is a bit of forward / back movement which doesnt seem or sound right. When I stand the turbo on its end and spin it it sounds fine. When its laying on its side and I spin it it makes the ginding noises. I'll send it off early next week to get a new core fitted. I'll also be fitting one of those EARLS oil feed lines with a filter and getting rid of the factory screen.

  • I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 11m 5d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Far north queensland
Posted

Bionic - the FG has a tiny bit different fitting into the block that the oil feed line bolts to. Bigger ports to let the oil through. Plus removing the screen and circlip would also help.

  • Member
  • Member For: 15y 9m 22d
Posted

The hole is .80mm. which like 32thou or something, Unfortunatly you cant run a bigger hole, its mainly the oil inlet holes matching to the oil grooves in the bearing pack. which from my experience never line up 100%, and thus starvaing the turbo of oil. but since there is 'some'(minimal) sort of oil getting to the bearing garratt will not cover this under warranty :(. Mark at mr turbo showed me the mta cores where they have individually machined to match the oil grooves on his bearing setup which supplies adequate oil supply. I wouldnt bother with another garrett core in my own personal experience. Kinda like a kinder surprise never going to know how good the oil inlet and grooves line up its just chance :) haha

  • 5 weeks later...
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 16y 4m
Posted

Just thought I'd update where I was up to. As I said earlier the best quote I could get anywhere around Australia was around the $1200 mark for a new cartridge. After looking on E-bay I found one in the US for $800. I bought it and it cost $855 delivered to my door (took about 2 weeks). I was a bit worried about buying off ebay but this was all good. Genuine Garrett cartridge part number 706451-5005 and is identical to my old cartridge. I got it yesterday and have fitted my housings to it and all looks fine. I will have the car all back together and running this week and will post up when im finished to let people know how it went.

The cartridge can be seen on the following link;

Garrett Cartridge 706451-5005

Cheers for the replies.

Jez.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...