Massive Understeer At The Track, What To Do?

xr_velocity

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 29d

King 520lb springs installed. General driving they feel the same as they are progressive rate. Can't wait to hit the track with them. The added ride height is brilliant, no more hitting the bumper on the road!

Whilst I was under it, I noticed some heat affected areas from the turbo and dump pipe, notably the steering boot under the turbo just melts under the heat. Need to have a new one installed and some heat shielding added. Will be wrapping the dump pipe in heat wrap in a couple of weekends time as well to try keep all that heat from destroying my engine bay!

• Member For: 17y 19d

King 520lb springs installed. General driving they feel the same as they are progressive rate. Can't wait to hit the track with them. The added ride height is brilliant, no more hitting the bumper on the road!

Whilst I was under it, I noticed some heat affected areas from the turbo and dump pipe, notably the steering boot under the turbo just melts under the heat. Need to have a new one installed and some heat shielding added. Will be wrapping the dump pipe in heat wrap in a couple of weekends time as well to try keep all that heat from destroying my engine bay!

Tried the Heat Wrap!

- Disintegrated pretty quickly!

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 2d

mine's ceramic coated - never tested it out to the levels a track day would

• Member For: 16y 4m 6d

The heat wrap will cause added corrosion and the metal will become brittle and likely to crack:

http://rukse-com.hub...ng-vs-Heat-Wrap

Make a heatshield for there or get the pipe ceramic coated.

These are the best options for a liveable, long term fix.

If doing a heatshield, the two critical factors are a minimum of 1/4" per side and airflow.

Radiated heat is how turbo's create their havoc on nearby components.

Edited by Smoke them tyres

• I see a red door and I want to paint it black
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 6m 2d

turbo beanie worthwhile? or just trap the heat in and cook the oil quicker?

The heat wrap will cause added corrosion and the metal will become brittle and likely to crack:

http://rukse-com.hub...ng-vs-Heat-Wrap

Make a heatshield for there or get the pipe ceramic coated.

These are the best options for a liveable, long term fix.

If doing a heatshield, the two critical factors are a minimum of 1/4" per side and airflow.

Radiated heat is how turbo's create their havoc on nearby components.

Heat Shields, vented Bonnets, remove the Rubber Seal from the top of the Fire Wall at the rear of the Bonnet, etc, but at the end of the Day, you're still going to fry the Engine Mount and will eventually have to replace the Dump Pipe itself!

- Mine ended up disintegrating from the constant Hot and Cold at the Track.

I have a List of 'Consumeables' as I call them.

- But only if you do 'lots' of Track work!

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 5m 29d

Thanks for the tips. Will get the wrap just for now and look at ceramic later. It does amaze me how the dump pipe stays together at all given the extreme changes in temperatures it goes through especially at the track.

The other thing that melted was the battery cable running along the chassis rail, put some silver heat reflector around that one. Need to inspect it soon. Engine mount will probably cop a flogging like you said. I suppose it's all a part of maintaining a 900 degree part of the engine bay :)

I could always put Homer speed holes in the bonnet!

Thanks for the tips. Will get the wrap just for now and look at ceramic later. It does amaze me how the dump pipe stays together at all given the extreme changes in temperatures it goes through especially at the track.

The other thing that melted was the battery cable running along the chassis rail, put some silver heat reflector around that one. Need to inspect it soon. Engine mount will probably cop a flogging like you said. I suppose it's all a part of maintaining a 900 degree part of the engine bay :)

I could always put Homer speed holes in the bonnet!

I had the same problem with the Battery Cable!

- You can get special Heat resistant covering for it.

- It's like normal Electrical Cable Insulation that fits very tightly over the Cable and then they run a Blow Torch over it to shrink it onto the Cable...

- It is a 'permanent' fix!

Ring my 'Cranky Mechanic' and ask him about it!

- Geoff on 0418.298296, but be aware he does have serious 'attitude' that can catch you out!

- Don't expect sympathy!