axw01 Legacy Donating Member 127 Member For: 23y 6m 11d Location: Brisbane QLD Posted 17/10/03 01:39 PM Posted 17/10/03 01:39 PM My T is now 36500 Klms old and is heavily wearing the inside edges of the front tyres. A month after I picked her up I drove it from Brisvegas to Perth and back and in that distance (13000 klms) , ruined 2 near new Yokohama A539's (235/45/17) to almost bald on the inside edges of both fronts. Since then, put the Dunlops that she came with back on and am noticing that it is happening again. In the first instance my dealer told me that they only warrant 4000klms from new (fat lot of good that does you halfaway across the Nullarbor) and that wouldn't do anything about it except ckeck the alignment which incidentally was all over the shop. Since then, I have brought it up with the dealer on numerous occasions and despite approx. 3 alignments by them and one by Fulcrum, it is happening again. I am going for another road trip in amonth's time (5000 klms this time) and am really worried that my tyres will be ruined again unless I can get it sorted.Has anyone else come across this and if so, have you solved it?? Help would be appreciated as the so-called experts don't seem to know. :(
plonky The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium Member 1,766 Member For: 23y 5m 21d Location: Dodge Scat Pack Posted 17/10/03 01:49 PM Posted 17/10/03 01:49 PM To wear on the inside of the tyres like that indicates a camber change. that's of course if the wear in uniform all the way around on the inside, and the tread is not feathered or serrated from the inside out.My understanding with the Ford front end, is that they have set camber and castor and the only thing that can be changed at alignment is toe in/toe out. If you have had the fronts aligned a number of times with no indication that the camber/castor is unchanged from the factory setting, I would suggest that you make direct contact with FPV.I know the senior chassis engineer at FPV (previously Tickford) and he is a genius with suspension. However, first of all you must confirm that the front end is exactly as the factory designed it.I have a new Mustang and it needs a proper alignment to get it right. Once that is done however, all the problems that we had have gone.CheersGrant
axw01 Legacy Donating Member 127 Member For: 23y 6m 11d Location: Brisbane QLD Posted 17/10/03 02:04 PM Author Posted 17/10/03 02:04 PM Thanks Grant, the last time it was in, the dealer advised that all settings were as per the guidelines (except for the rears which they forgot to realign when they removed and replaced the diff due to diff whine). The tyres are feathered from the outer edge inwards on the inside of the tyre (hope that make sense!!??) worse and they pick up the leading edges on the tread on the outside of the outfacing edge of the tyre also. Has also done this since new and every time I bring it up, I get dumbfounded looks...Cheers.Alan.
Redhawk ....Time to lay this fairytale aside...... Legacy Donating Member 2,657 Member For: 23y 6m 20d Gender: Male Location: In the Ferry on the River Styx, not getting out just yet! Posted 17/10/03 02:27 PM Posted 17/10/03 02:27 PM Al,If Ford fit the camber shims (kit) make sure they fit the shims on the passenger side, this is a b!tch to do. This is the only real hassle I had with my dealers service dept for 3 cars and that was my EL XR6, they only put the shims on the drivers side. However they did replace the two front tyres after 12 mths and picked up 60% of the cost. That's why I had a wheel aliagnment done on the hawk before I took delivery.Best of luck mate, Al (WA)
Guest FAT 240 Guests Posted 17/10/03 09:10 PM Posted 17/10/03 09:10 PM How Much Pressure r u running in them? You shuold be running 39 psi the best option is to see bob and fill with nitrigon it will cost you about 25 bucks.
KEN 24T Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky Member 7,371 Member For: 23y 3m Gender: Male Location: The Shire, Middle Earth Posted 18/10/03 03:29 AM Posted 18/10/03 03:29 AM Hey Paddy02, Welcome to the club, mate ... :banghead: oops! sorry bout that, meant :banghead:
Falchoon I see red Member 5,758 Member For: 23y 9m 13d Location: nowhere in particular Posted 18/10/03 03:41 AM Posted 18/10/03 03:41 AM Do you have some sort of built in homing device for seeking out Newbies, Ken?
KEN 24T Gandalf the Grey, Maiar of Manwë and Varda, Team HgAg/Sneaky Member 7,371 Member For: 23y 3m Gender: Male Location: The Shire, Middle Earth Posted 18/10/03 03:44 AM Posted 18/10/03 03:44 AM Do you have some sort of built in homing device for seeking out Newbies, Ken? :banghead: They can run, but they can't hide.
plonky The Bionic Man - half man-half titanium Member 1,766 Member For: 23y 5m 21d Location: Dodge Scat Pack Posted 18/10/03 01:13 PM Posted 18/10/03 01:13 PM I seem to recall that Ken didn't seek me out.As the saying goes, "it's hard to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man"(Only joking Ken...as a matter of fact you're one of the reasons I love coming back onto this Forum. As Ned would say " I don't think there's a need for a *beep* perspective....the only perspective they would get is a pair of big hairy.......you know the rest
GOLDIE My new toy Legacy Donating Member 5,344 Member For: 23y 5m 8d Gender: Male Location: stanthorpe wine capital of qld. Posted 18/10/03 08:05 PM Posted 18/10/03 08:05 PM 30000 km no tyre wear problems it would appear that the align is not to spec on your car.It would be nice if you had the specs and could post them I think we could maybe give some advice after that.I do not use adealer for aligns always use tyre places with latest equip.If they had not checked rear before they have not done the job right in the first place.Ian
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now