Wingnut Member 573 Member For: 18y 2m 2d Gender: Male Posted 03/04/10 09:01 AM Author Posted 03/04/10 09:01 AM I have also done radio controlled palnes... Not choppers but still, not something I look forward to doing in my spare time...So I have decided... Im getting a dirt and getting back into motox.. No trials or enduro, just track work.. I went and put done a deposit on a KTM250SX 2010 model, dont know if ill buy it as the YZ250 also seems to be a sh*t hot bike. Considering I havent owned a bike for a loooong time I was also looking at a really clean 05 they have there... I probably should buy second hand to relearn on but god damn the 2010 model looked horn...
Craig. Member 563 Member For: 19y 6m 16d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast QLD Posted 03/04/10 09:22 AM Posted 03/04/10 09:22 AM (edited) You sound like you have had some previous experience riding dirt bikes. Have you considered getting into Vintage Motocross (VMX) or Vinduros?The old bikes are easy to work on and it seems to be a growing sport with guys of various ages. They have different classes available depending on the age of the bike and the racing isn't taken as seriously as some other forms of racing.Its also relatively cheap to get into, compared to racing modern bikes that is.You can buy an old beat up bike and restore it yourself, or buy something that someone else has restored, or buy a low usage original from dealers that bring such bikes in from the states, such as Dirty Dog Racing ( www.ddr.net.au ) or Shoreline Motorcycles in Cleveland. Edited 03/04/10 09:25 AM by craiginmackay
Full Monty Member 513 Member For: 19y 3m 12d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 08/04/10 07:48 AM Posted 08/04/10 07:48 AM Ive got a Honda CR500 which I bought in good serviceable condition a little over a year ago for a steal at $2500. I'm now doing a full teardown rebuild, 2pac frame, restored engine etc and it owes me around 4.5-5k - they are really gaining in cult status, average ones are fetching 5k on ebay. With the sought after CRE500's fetching their original selling price and above (road registerable)mind you, they are a scary powerful bike, but a great bike for trail riding - will go up anthing provided you can hang on. seriously hard work.If you want to buy new, I dont think you can beat the KTM250or300exc range. 2 stroke, with electric start, tons of power and torque and a great allround package, road registerable! Forget 4 brokes unless you like opening your wallet!add another grand for gear, then a couple of hundred for a trailer and your good to go. Then budget for Tyres, misc wear and tear, new piston and rings once every 50hrs or so (every 100-150 on the 5hundy)
Wingnut Member 573 Member For: 18y 2m 2d Gender: Male Posted 08/04/10 08:11 AM Author Posted 08/04/10 08:11 AM Average bike is around 1500 long will that fit in the back of a ute? Hadnt thought about it until now might save me from buying a trailer..
Guest XR09 Guests Posted 08/04/10 08:28 AM Posted 08/04/10 08:28 AM Well done Wingnut. Best bet now is to go join your closest mx track/club. The season is just getting under way. They will give you the forms for your MA lic. I think you can still download the forms from the net as well.You will find them just as freindly and helpful as always. It's worth going just to watch the juniors, what a hoot.
Wenier Legacy Donating Member 1,736 Member For: 16y 8m 18d Gender: Male Location: Christchurch, New Zealand Posted 08/04/10 08:42 AM Posted 08/04/10 08:42 AM If your only carrying the one bike you can put it in on an angle and close the tail gate, or you can carrying two in the back with the tailgate strapped up to about a 45 deg angle.
Wingnut Member 573 Member For: 18y 2m 2d Gender: Male Posted 08/04/10 08:55 AM Author Posted 08/04/10 08:55 AM Ye awesome.. If the bike is ready ill be picking it up this saturday if not ill go down to broady and have a geez..
timbos99 Member 300 Member For: 17y 11m 1d Gender: Male Location: QLD Posted 08/04/10 08:55 AM Posted 08/04/10 08:55 AM If you want to buy new, I dont think you can beat the KTM250or300exc range. 2 stroke, with electric start, tons of power and torque and a great allround package, road registerable! Forget 4 brokes unless you like opening your wallet!Couldn't agree more, 300's are awesome Just be smart in what you do, I've been riding consistently 15+yrs now an the only times I've hurt myself is when I've pushed it too hard too soon or done something stupid, which I knew was dumb when I though "I can do/hit/jump/rail/gap/roost that" then it turns real quick...
Stink Senior Moron Legacy Donating Member 1,059 Member For: 17y 5m 13d Gender: Male Location: Sunshine Coast..... somewhere Posted 08/04/10 11:10 AM Posted 08/04/10 11:10 AM If you've got a secure job, you can allways become an annoyance at work and piss people off. Then maybe walk around ya city naked and see how long it takes to get arrested.... theres endless hobbies........surfing,washing the car,counting busses that go past a post office that's situated on a corner......hope I've been helpful
PHANTMXR6 It's not a MKI! Member 1,742 Member For: 18y 3m 16d Gender: Male Location: Earth Posted 08/04/10 11:39 AM Posted 08/04/10 11:39 AM Radio Control Nitro Helicopters!!Still 2 stroke.sh1t loads of fun.Really high concentration level.Just a tiny bit cheaper than bikes.And you get a real buzz cos it's a huge learning experience.Or electric RC Helicopters.Good fun.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now