Tie Down Install

Wenier

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 7d

Hey guys,

I have seen a couple of threads with people asking how and some showing how but nothing stickyed to the top of the forum. So I'll put this one up which I did and if anyone else has pics and how they did theirs that is different to mine I think if would be good to add it so other members can see how.

So first off, your going to need:

1. lashing/tie down point to install (sourced from a truck and transport spares place)

2. The right size bolts and nuts washers etc for your points (Ive used M10)

3. Cut off saw

4. Dremel

5. Drill and correct size drill bit

6. Soldering iron that you dont care about.

7. Tape measure and scriber or suitable marker.

Steps:

1. For the front centre tie down you need to pick up the metal frame work under the tuffdeck. So from underneath your ute measure from side to side on the frame to find the centre of the deck. You should also be able to see the ribs from under there, and you want to pick up the high point so mark where the centre of the high rib is nearest to the centre of the deck, this is to make the lashing point sit below the height of the ribs. (I'll try get some photos for this).

2. Now use a small pilot drill (my final size is 10mm but I used a 1/8 drill for the initial hole to make sure I got the right spot). From underneath drill with the pilot drill through the framework and through the deck, now check from above that this is in the right place. If it is in the right place use the drill size you need for you bolts and drill the hole out to that size. Can be done from top or underneath since pilot hole is there.

3. Now with the cutoff saw cut at the lowest point on the rib possible to remove an area only big enough to accomodate your lashing point.

4. With the dremel take off whatever is left that is sticking up. I found that I couldnt cut right in the corner because of my cutoff saws size.

5. Now with the piece you cut out it should be in the shape of the rib, we want to keep the very top bit which has the hole in it to but on top of the frame work as if the deck was still there. I carefully used a stanley knife to cut the sides off while not cutting myself.

6. With that piece of rib put it in gap on top of the frame and rest the bolt in it to keep it lined up. Now using the soldering iron melt the rib back to the deck along the edges, if there is not enough plastic you can use the sides you just cut off the piece with the hole in it to fill the gaps. If you do this correctly it will fuse back together and will be like it should always have been there.

7. Now simply fill the open ends of the rib with some black sealant or RTV and install the lashing point in the gap, requires two people.

Then you should end up with the following.

DSC03584.jpg

This is the lashing 300kg rating.

DSC03585.jpg

And from the back.

DSC03583.jpg

The tie downs on the sides are bolted onto the existing bolts and it turns out they are strong enough.

Anything else anyone can think of please add.

I use this for the dogs, my MotoX bike sometimes 2, and anything else that needs tying down

Edited by Wenier
  • Like 2

• Donating Members

yea that chain and harness there means he can get his head out the sides and over the roof, which is quite amusing for the oncoming vehicles to see.

How did you go about the one on the front wall? Remove the deck or anything like that?

Also I found that someone else mentioned holding the rear up when to bikes on. I was thinking of using the standard hook that connects the wire to the rear and having it on a camlok tiedown, anyone know where to get that part other than fraud.

Edited by Wenier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Donating Members

So I have found a new product that will suit me a bit better and am embarking on tiedown setup v2.0. Although the setup I already have from the first post is perfect and works well this will be a little more flexible for tying anything down.

So first up is the photos of the track and the moveable tiedown points, as soon as I have it installed I will add more photos. The idea is to run a length of track down either side using the current bolts down there (but will use countersunks). Then I will cut out the centre rib to accomodate the other 3rd piece of track.

_DSC4793.jpg

_DSC4794.jpg