john42 Member 4 Member For: 17y 6m 24d Posted 19/10/09 08:18 AM Posted 19/10/09 08:18 AM Ok guys please go easy on me as this is my first post. I bought a brand new FGXR6 T back in March this year. Its only clocked 5000km and is an auto. Absolutely love it, its also my first turbocharged car. Its stock standard, and im really not looking for more power as such. I just have a few questions for the technically gifted members here.I have a fairly heavy foot I guess, (it is addictive with this car), but it seems to lose a noticable amount of power after a few quick take offs from the lights, etc. It just doesn't seem to be consistent.Is that normal with a turbo car? My next question is economy, the cost dont bother me, but the best I can get is 14.2 l per 100km, mainly urban driving. Seems quite high, could it just be the low km?Thanks in advance. John
trevs Member 781 Member For: 19y 5m 10d Gender: Male Location: balmain Posted 19/10/09 08:39 AM Posted 19/10/09 08:39 AM heat soak from the crappy factory intercooler is why your cars losing power after a couple of full throtle starts when you get over the car being standard look at fitting a process west, rapid or plazaman intercooler id say that's about right for your fuel usage although I dont have an fg my cars a bf if your putting your foot down at most sets of lights your fuel wont tend to last very long cheers trev
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 12d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 19/10/09 08:50 AM Posted 19/10/09 08:50 AM Get rid of the stock cooler IMO. But not alone a custom tune with some decent squirters will see the car perform as it should from factory.I have a few mods on my ride, and on a recent highway run to Brisvegas from Sydney achieved sub 9l/100ks with a few very spirited over taking manouvres. Still leaves nice stripes from a roll onIIRC the factory tunes for the first 3000ks are on the rich side, anyway
john42 Member 4 Member For: 17y 6m 24d Posted 19/10/09 08:53 AM Author Posted 19/10/09 08:53 AM Thanks for the quick reply Trev. So I guess it is normal and I will have to get a new intercooler.
INASNT Member 361 Member For: 20y 1m 10d Gender: Male Location: Melbourne Posted 19/10/09 10:04 PM Posted 19/10/09 10:04 PM The factory FG cooler is apparently good for 300rwkw. Dont see how some traffic light drags are going to cause it heat soak
Pete A Member 442 Member For: 17y 9m 28d Gender: Male Location: Castle Hill NSW Posted 20/10/09 02:08 AM Posted 20/10/09 02:08 AM Hmmm. I've given my FG about 10 pretty much full throttle blasts one after the other over about 5 minutes and have not noticed any power loss! What I have noticed it that the ZF box really gets cracking after 1 or 2. So don't know what that means. The guys may be right and that it's an issue with the IC but it certainly doesn't appear to happen on mine. If you give it a good squirt I wouldn't complain about 14.2 at all!
straughsberry Legacy Donating Member 1,846 Member For: 19y 1m 13d Gender: Male Location: Broady, Melbourne Posted 20/10/09 02:29 AM Posted 20/10/09 02:29 AM Get it on a dyno and do some data logging. A custom tune will get you a fair bit more power and more economy as well.
pharkit Legacy Donating Member 251 Member For: 19y 2m 26d Gender: Male Posted 20/10/09 02:39 AM Posted 20/10/09 02:39 AM You sure its not the traction control? Maybe Im stating the obvious but when you gun it from the lights you know that tc will kick in and decrease the amount of power going to the rear wheels right? Hold the tc button for about 2 seconds (turning it off) and see if it still happens.
john42 Member 4 Member For: 17y 6m 24d Posted 20/10/09 09:34 AM Author Posted 20/10/09 09:34 AM I wish it was that simple lol. The tires break traction quite easily the first few runs, and of course the tc intervenes. Its after that that bothers me as the tires don't break traction anymore. That's why I have the concern that the air is overheating.
Benny Member 1,869 Member For: 23y 1m 25d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 20/10/09 09:50 AM Posted 20/10/09 09:50 AM Your car will loose power after consecutive runs as the heat soaks into the intercooler thus reducing the it's efficiency. This was seen on the dyno with my car when it was getting tuned. I still notice it know when driving. Anything below approx 18 deg I have no traction in second. 25 deg today and traction right through second. It's all to do with charge temps.Benny
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now