SHOCK Team Grandpa Legacy Donating Member 1,921 Member For: 20y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: Hunter Valley Posted 03/10/09 09:45 AM Posted 03/10/09 09:45 AM Have decided to get a hobby... Anyone on here kill vermin in the Hunter or elsewhere.Have never got my license before but grew up on a farm and have regularly shot hi powered rifles when I was living in SA.....243, 30 30, 2506, 308Whats the deal with joining a Hunting Club(there is one in Cessnock) and how hard is it to get your license in NSW nowadaysPretty certain I would be a fit person to knock a wild dog(vermin)at 400 metresBefore I get attacked by treehuggers or pet lovers....wild dogs in the Hunter Valley are killing 100 sheep/per night.....you wouldn't be patting these things...you would be missing an arm if you tried.
Buf-Phoon loitering with intent Legacy Donating Member 13,318 Member For: 23y 1m 17d Gender: Male Location: Zombie Birdhouse Posted 03/10/09 09:47 AM Posted 03/10/09 09:47 AM Open seaon on Cats. Licence approved
azasturbo Member 206 Member For: 17y 8m 22d Posted 03/10/09 10:31 AM Posted 03/10/09 10:31 AM (edited) yeah there is heaps of feral dogs up that way these days, heres one that made the mistake of going on my mates property click if you want to see a dead dogPersonally im to much of a pussy to go hunting but if your gonna do it at least by killing these farkers your doing a community service I wouldnt want that bastard any were near my house that's for sure Edited 03/10/09 11:25 PM by tab embedded pic removed
SHOCK Team Grandpa Legacy Donating Member 1,921 Member For: 20y 5m 6d Gender: Male Location: Hunter Valley Posted 03/10/09 01:12 PM Author Posted 03/10/09 01:12 PM Agree....hope it wasnt the neighbours dog thoughSheep can also run faster an toddlers playing in the back yard...they wouldnt have a chance
Benny Member 1,869 Member For: 23y 2m 1d Gender: Male Location: Newcastle Posted 04/10/09 07:29 AM Posted 04/10/09 07:29 AM If you want your licence then you will need to make an application.http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/community_issues/firearmsYou will also need to join a club like the Sporting Shooters Association which is about $80 p/a for Target use or nominate Hunting only and have a letter from a primary producer.Benny
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 28d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 09/10/09 01:49 AM Posted 09/10/09 01:49 AM (edited) nsw is a bit of dicking around to get your license... VIC is easy peasy its just the paperwork and getting referee's can be a bit of a headcase.goodluck mate.oh, for "Reason for aquiring a License" join the SSAA Club. Not to mention its a great organisation and youll find out ALOT of cool info in there monthly mags and such. great discounts at their club ranges too.for "Hunting" reason, I went to the dept of primary industries and got a "Permit to shoot on crown land" it cost $11 and lasts 5 years. that covers your ass. Edited 09/10/09 01:51 AM by Trough Lolly
exarsixturbo Dr. Speed Member 784 Member For: 19y 2m 5d Gender: Male Location: The land of Politicians, Public Servants, Porno & Pyrotechnics Posted 09/10/09 02:38 AM Posted 09/10/09 02:38 AM (edited) Yeah, I've got my license (ACT) and go out hunting every second weekend or so. All you need to do (in the ACT) is a 4 hour firearms course, get written permission from a land owner and then give all your paperwork to the local constabulary. 28 days later you are good to go. I'm going back to the farm tomorrow actually. I hunt around the Crookwell area of NSW. Dont see too many wild dogs but we get cats, rabbits, foxes, goats, cops, deer and roos. (obviously, it would be illegal for me to shoot the roos without a permit, so I wouldnt dream of doing that) Between me and my two brothers we have a 12g, .17, .22, 22.250 & a .308. I'm about to get a .270 and I think a .30-06 will be joining the ranks shortly too. All bases covered! Edited 09/10/09 02:40 AM by exarsixturbo
Trough Lolly Member 4,349 Member For: 22y 28d Gender: Male Location: Mildura Posted 09/10/09 03:22 AM Posted 09/10/09 03:22 AM screw the 270... get a 300 win mag the 270 isnt worth steppng upto if youve got a .308 already.youll end up with 3 guns that can all do a fairly similar job.
Adam Here since the start... Legacy Donating Member 10,282 Member For: 23y 5m 10d Gender: Male Location: Victoria Posted 09/10/09 04:45 AM Posted 09/10/09 04:45 AM Why get a 270 if you're getting a 30.06 as well? They're so similar.I'd just stick to the 308.A 300WM is a little big for what you've listed there, unless you're hunting Sambar.Pretty certain I would be a fit person to knock a wild dog(vermin)at 400 metresThat would be one hell of a shot!
exarsixturbo Dr. Speed Member 784 Member For: 19y 2m 5d Gender: Male Location: The land of Politicians, Public Servants, Porno & Pyrotechnics Posted 09/10/09 05:42 AM Posted 09/10/09 05:42 AM Yeah there is 3 of us but so we each want our own guns!! :o I guess when you take into account that we just share them all anyway it seems like we are doubling (or oven tripling) up - and it's a bit of a waste. You can never have too many but!I want the .270 because the bullets are cheaper than any "300 series", they are the flattest shooting calibre on the market and they still pack plenty of oomph for what I use em for.We are getting the 30-06 for nothing, so that's a no brainer.With decent skill and properly sighted in weapon you could dispatch a big dog at 400. I hit a duck two weeks ago at a shade over 300 meters with the 22.250. I must admit... I did laugh and feel a bit sorry for him at the same time! I only did it to see if I was good enough and I guess I got the answer.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now