zayd687 Member 74 Member For: 16y 8m 22d Posted 10/01/11 05:18 AM Posted 10/01/11 05:18 AM hey im curently doing a whole xr6t engine swap on a ba 2003 I am fitting a 2005 ba xr6t motor in it I have all the wiring loom and ecu I am curently running my old na fuel pump I got the car running and seems to be making boost but when I try to come back to idle it starts misfiring I hold it at 2000 rpm and it clears up I have also got a couple of check engine lights just wondering if you had any of these problems and what you think also the wastegate control solinoid only needs to be wired up if you dont have the plugs in your car already also my speedo isnt working do you think that is because it thinks I have 3 73 diff gears when I have 3 45 open centre??your either making it or your not.... whats your boost gauge read?change your sparkies to .8mm gapped plugs.. that shud stop the miss firing.check engine lite.. did u check to see all sensors are connected? oil, cat sensor , maf
bentles Member 121 Member For: 18y 3d Gender: Male Location: melbourne Posted 10/01/11 09:49 AM Author Posted 10/01/11 09:49 AM the speedo is cos xr6t use a different way of getting the speed from the wheel speed sensors to the pcm... u need to disable traction control too if your car hasnt got it, and change the option for the vehicle speed input data or some sh*t (2 years since I did it I forget now)dunno what the deal is with your misfiring however*Beep*:the car is still going AFAIK but I sold it like 18 months ago dude...
Jozekin New Member 12 Member For: 14y 11m 27d Gender: Male Posted 31/08/12 09:56 AM Posted 31/08/12 09:56 AM hey mate just wondering with the NA block did you have to drill and tap holes for the oil and cooler lines into the block for the turbo, or does the NA block have the holes there just blocked off ? thanks
Woznaldo Member 28 Member For: 13y 4m 27d Gender: Male Location: South West Sydney Posted 09/06/13 09:40 PM Posted 09/06/13 09:40 PM I've just had a read through this thread and firstly I'd like to that it is a great write up, but after having a quick look at the engine specs for different model falcons, how do you get around the change in compression ratio?BA XT has a CR of 9.7:1BA XR6 has a CR of 9.7:1BA XR6T has a CR of 8.7:1Things get worse with newer cars:BF XT has a CR of 10.3:1BF XR6 has a CR of 10.3:1BF XR6T has a CR of 8.7:1You could only run a 10.3:1 CR in a turbo application with really low boost. I'm assuming that the pistons are the difference and therefore they would need to be changed if you wanted to run any serious boost (10+).
spinr33 Legacy Donating Member 964 Member For: 15y 1m 15d Posted 10/06/13 05:49 AM Posted 10/06/13 05:49 AM (edited) Hi their,I had a BA turbo ute that the motor started knocking badly so instead of replacing it with another bad ba turbo motor (weak + overpriced) I fitted a bf NA engine instead with injectors , cat , middle muffler removed , intercooler, valve springs etc basic mods + custom tune to suit !!. You need todo this if you don't want it to pop.Made 300kw at the rears on 10psi could have made more as it made power easily but I didn't want to run more then 10 psi because na engine went very well and sounded a lot tougher with na engine a lot more torque off boost where you mainly drive it got around 450kms a tank with 60 pound injectors.It has traveled around 20,000 kms to my knowledge and still going.Its mainly in the tune to keep it alive, a lot of people said it couldn't be done on this forum I did it anyway and was happy with the results.Hope this makes it easier to decideAlso it helps that my tuner has done a lot of ls1 turbo conversions on stock internals they have 10 something compression to 1And was more then happy to give it a go Edited 10/06/13 05:53 AM by spinr33
Woznaldo Member 28 Member For: 13y 4m 27d Gender: Male Location: South West Sydney Posted 10/06/13 07:01 AM Posted 10/06/13 07:01 AM Hi their,I had a BA turbo ute that the motor started knocking badly so instead of replacing it with another bad ba turbo motor (weak + overpriced) I fitted a bf NA engine instead with injectors , cat , middle muffler removed , intercooler, valve springs etc basic mods + custom tune to suit !!. You need todo this if you don't want it to pop.Made 300kw at the rears on 10psi could have made more as it made power easily but I didn't want to run more then 10 psi because na engine went very well and sounded a lot tougher with na engine a lot more torque off boost where you mainly drive it got around 450kms a tank with 60 pound injectors.It has traveled around 20,000 kms to my knowledge and still going.Its mainly in the tune to keep it alive, a lot of people said it couldn't be done on this forum I did it anyway and was happy with the results.Hope this makes it easier to decideAlso it helps that my tuner has done a lot of ls1 turbo conversions on stock internals they have 10 something compression to 1And was more then happy to give it a goThanks for the reply spinr33, I knew there would be a limit, but as it wasn't eluded to above I thought I would make a mention of it. Like you have said, the tune is critical to get safe consistent results. A generic tune will be overly safe and probably use more fuel too.I have a friend who has done a Twin Turbo Conversion on his HSV 285 Clubsport. He sent off his OEM ECU for a generic reflash and was told not to run more than 8 psi until he had the custom tune done. When the custom tune was completed, he was running 10 psi and was getting 370rwkw (dyno), all on std internals. He knows if he wants to get anymore boost he will need to drop the CR to accommodate.Woz
turbo_will New Member 5 Member For: 13y 4m 1d Gender: Male Location: adelaide Posted 16/06/13 10:52 AM Posted 16/06/13 10:52 AM I have also found in my setup higher comp will make more power on the same boost and required less timing.
Tonepopz New Member 2 Member For: 11y 5m 17d Posted 18/04/15 04:21 PM Posted 18/04/15 04:21 PM Great read Bentles
Redlightandy Member 57 Member For: 8y 3m 18d Gender: Male Location: Sunny canberra Posted 15/06/18 09:15 AM Posted 15/06/18 09:15 AM And I was tempted to chuck a hair dryer on my 05XR6 non hair dryer, after reading that I realised Im officially too old for this crap, Ill just spoof up the motor I have and be happy lol
Trevor78 New Member 3 Member For: 8y 2m 7d Posted 25/07/18 03:10 PM Posted 25/07/18 03:10 PM Bloody good read! Thanks for taking the time man!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now