Another N/a To Turbo Conversion

bentles

• Member For: 14y 2m 18d

hey im curently doing a whole xr6t engine swap on a ba 2003 I am fitting a 2005 ba xr6t motor in it I have all the wiring loom and ecu I am curently running my old na fuel pump I got the car running and seems to be making boost but when I try to come back to idle it starts misfiring I hold it at 2000 rpm and it clears up I have also got a couple of check engine lights just wondering if you had any of these problems and what you think also the wastegate control solinoid only needs to be wired up if you dont have the plugs in your car already also my speedo isnt working do you think that is because it thinks I have 3 73 diff gears when I have 3 45 open centre??

your either making it or your not.... whats your boost gauge read?

change your sparkies to .8mm gapped plugs.. that shud stop the miss firing.

check engine lite.. did u check to see all sensors are connected? oil, cat sensor , maf

• Member For: 15y 6m

the speedo is cos xr6t use a different way of getting the speed from the wheel speed sensors to the pcm... u need to disable traction control too if your car hasnt got it, and change the option for the vehicle speed input data or some sh*t (2 years since I did it I forget now)

dunno what the deal is with your misfiring however

*Beep*:

the car is still going AFAIK but I sold it like 18 months ago dude...

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 12y 5m 23d

hey mate just wondering with the NA block did you have to drill and tap holes for the oil and cooler lines into the block for the turbo, or does the NA block have the holes there just blocked off ? thanks

• 9 months later...
  • Member For: 10y 10m 24d

I've just had a read through this thread and firstly I'd like to that it is a great write up, but after having a quick look at the engine specs for different model falcons, how do you get around the change in compression ratio?

BA XT has a CR of 9.7:1

BA XR6 has a CR of 9.7:1

BA XR6T has a CR of 8.7:1

Things get worse with newer cars:

BF XT has a CR of 10.3:1

BF XR6 has a CR of 10.3:1

BF XR6T has a CR of 8.7:1

You could only run a 10.3:1 CR in a turbo application with really low boost. I'm assuming that the pistons are the difference and therefore they would need to be changed if you wanted to run any serious boost (10+).

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 7m 12d

Hi their,

I had a BA turbo ute that the motor started knocking badly so instead of replacing it with another bad ba turbo motor (weak + overpriced) I fitted a bf NA engine instead with injectors , cat , middle muffler removed , intercooler, valve springs etc basic mods + custom tune to suit !!. You need todo this if you don't want it to pop.

Made 300kw at the rears on 10psi could have made more as it made power easily but I didn't want to run more then 10 psi because na engine went very well and sounded a lot tougher with na engine a lot more torque off boost where you mainly drive it got around 450kms a tank with 60 pound injectors.

It has traveled around 20,000 kms to my knowledge and still going.

Its mainly in the tune to keep it alive, a lot of people said it couldn't be done on this forum I did it anyway and was happy with the results.

Hope this makes it easier to decide

Also it helps that my tuner has done a lot of ls1 turbo conversions on stock internals they have 10 something compression to 1

And was more then happy to give it a go

Edited by spinr33

• Member For: 10y 10m 24d

Hi their,

I had a BA turbo ute that the motor started knocking badly so instead of replacing it with another bad ba turbo motor (weak + overpriced) I fitted a bf NA engine instead with injectors , cat , middle muffler removed , intercooler, valve springs etc basic mods + custom tune to suit !!. You need todo this if you don't want it to pop.

Made 300kw at the rears on 10psi could have made more as it made power easily but I didn't want to run more then 10 psi because na engine went very well and sounded a lot tougher with na engine a lot more torque off boost where you mainly drive it got around 450kms a tank with 60 pound injectors.

It has traveled around 20,000 kms to my knowledge and still going.

Its mainly in the tune to keep it alive, a lot of people said it couldn't be done on this forum I did it anyway and was happy with the results.

Hope this makes it easier to decide

Also it helps that my tuner has done a lot of ls1 turbo conversions on stock internals they have 10 something compression to 1

And was more then happy to give it a go

Thanks for the reply spinr33, I knew there would be a limit, but as it wasn't eluded to above I thought I would make a mention of it. Like you have said, the tune is critical to get safe consistent results. A generic tune will be overly safe and probably use more fuel too.

I have a friend who has done a Twin Turbo Conversion on his HSV 285 Clubsport. He sent off his OEM ECU for a generic reflash and was told not to run more than 8 psi until he had the custom tune done. When the custom tune was completed, he was running 10 psi and was getting 370rwkw (dyno), all on std internals. He knows if he wants to get anymore boost he will need to drop the CR to accommodate.

Woz ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Member For: 5y 9m 15d

And I was tempted to chuck a hair dryer on my 05XR6 non hair dryer, after reading that I realised Im officially too old for this crap, Ill just spoof up the motor I have and be happy lol

• 1 month later...