Fg Sub And Amp Install

Black_Night

• Member For: 14y 11m 27d

Hi all, this is my first post so it may be a little sketchy at times and firstly I would just like to say how good is this forum it's got everything you need to know about anything. anyways..

I recently had the Bass Bug and lashed out and bought myself two Pioneer slimline Subs and a Kicker zx750.1 Amp for my fg xr6 ute

th_DSC01597.jpg

This was my first ever audio install and it turned out not to be too hard

so heres what I did....

firstly I located a whole in the firewall that I could use to pass my 4guage cable through

by chance I found a rather large rubber gromet, that I found a while ago when I was installing another mod, it is in the passenger foot well on the right.

th_DSC01612.jpg

I chose to Mount my Amp under the passanger seat, inorder to mount the amp I removed the seat and the Jack to give me plenty of room.

I mounted the amp onto a piece of nonslip rubber so that I didn't have to srew it to the floor and so that if need be I can remove it easily

The Box's for my subs were just the right length and fitted perfectly behind each seat.

th_DSC01608.jpg

I then ran the 4Gauge cable form battery to amp and grounded the amp to one of the seat bolts at the front

heres what the wiring looks like. The Blue wire is Positive

th_DSC01613.jpgth_DSC01615.jpgth_DSC01624.jpgth_DSC01611.jpgth_DSC01623.jpg, all the plastic bits in the door sill and around the seat come off will just a firm pull, after unscrewing two screws here.th_DSC01621.jpg

I chose to tap into the rear speakers from under the dash,they can be found by removing the drivers side L Kickpanel, I traced the wires back from were the speakers are mounted, the rearL are blue and the rear R are Pink, make sure you check polarity with a multimeter before soldering.

th_DSC01618.jpg

I then wired the subs up and the result was RIDICULOUS BASS,

however I need to invest in a Capacitor because my amp has protection and when it can't draw enough power it cuts out so this would be a good investment, also I am yet to invest in good splits for the doors and 6x9s for the rear then il be laughing. I also installed the bass Volume Contoller that came with the amp so I can easily turn the bass down.

th_DSC01620.jpg

The whole Install Took me a Weekend because I had to buy a couple of new tools

Any Questions Please ask I have many more photos of the install.

• Member For: 17y 6m 19d
however I need to invest in a Capacitor because my amp has protection and when it can't draw enough power it cuts out so this would be a good investment

I would try a better earth first. the power cable and power system will be more than big enough so that the amp wont go into protect mode.

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 9m 9d

Make sure you use 4 gauge for your earth and use a good earth point.

If you can't find a more suitable point, drill a hole and use a 1/2" bolt through the floor making sure the area around the bolt head is sanded back to bare metal.

You shouldn't have any more dramas then.

Whatayareckon there Smicky? :censored:

• Go Pies!!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 1m 11d

I see the name Smicky, which would be me, but I dungetdarestofwatuwrote! :toungepoke:

Yeah this should do the trick... Make sure the cable you run from the Battery is the same size as the earth - vise versa...

Or just do what I have a habbit of doing - get some over kill power cable - extra few meters, wrap some black tape around it and there you have it - earth cable! hehehehe

Try this solution first, and see how you go - as for the point... there should be some decent points around, basically anywhere with a bolt going through to the bare metal, as mentioned make sure you sand the sh*t out of it so its a solid metal to metal connection.

The other thing to check it that your fuse is correctly positioned... I admit I havent taken a good look at your pics, but I cant actually see a power line fuse anywhere...

Make sure it is no more then about 30cms from the connection point, and might be worth swapping it out for a quick blow fuse if it isnt already...

the amp may be going into protection for other reasons such as a power short, rather then the voltage dropping... so double check you power run also, and make sure this have not been damaged while doing the install...

:stirthepot:

Oh btw - when you do the multimeter volt check, im assuming the car is "RUNNING" and not just switched to Acc, or On!

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS RUNNING!

Edited by smicky

• Member For: 14y 11m 27d

thanks for the tips, ive used 4gauge cable for both positive and earth so that isn't a problem, I have put a fuse in and it is indeed a fast blow, I tried sanding back the bolt for the earth and it all works fine now I guess it just needed that extra bit of connection. thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Member For: 16y 3m 11d

Awesome job for taking the photos along the way mate!

im wiring mine up now before my equipment arrives in the mail in a week or so, This is the only photo I can find of where to route the power cable through the firewall too, THANKYOU!!!