Ute Fuel Pump

• Legendary member!!
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3m 6d
When I had a AFR gauge I did notice it drop from rich back a bit towards Stoich on full accelaration around hard corners (when on full throttle it should stay at rich), it was never anything to worry about as I never had ping from it just power loss...

Im not too sure its that safe to be lookin at a gauge with full acceleration around hard corners lol...

Id be keepin my eyes on the road and whats in front of me!

AFR gauges are not necessarily a good indicator either. They change too much / often to give a good real reading.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Member For: 16y 4m 11d
Utes just dont get the surge like the sedans.

I have a walboro pump in my tank and run 370rwkw+ and drive it hard down until the fuel light comes on with no surge.

surge tank will only be required possibly 400rwkw+.

Yeah im the same, I dont have 370KW but with 330+ I have never had surge ever, that's with hard cornering, doughnuts or straight line.

• Member For: 15y 3m
Maybe you guys arn't cornering hard enough :idunno:

I have a standard fuel system in my BF MkII ute

theres your answer right there mate :rockon: were talking about a 550hp pump fitted not the standard unit :spoton:

• Member For: 16y 2m 4d

It doesnt matter what intank pump you have when it comes to fuel surge. If there is no fuel around the pump it doesnt run on air.... also from reading the forum it seams that fuel surge is worse in utes than sedans..

there is a number of members who have this problem (not all)

I just would not take the risk is a couple $$ more.. but get a quote to rebuit you motor when it has a small electrical problem, caused by a rod knocking the alternator off...

anyway back on track.. get 3 mates and take the tub off. (dont forget to unplug number plate light)

• Member For: 19y 7m 19d
.... also from reading the forum it seams that fuel surge is worse in utes than sedans..

After 4+ years on this forum, Ive read totally the opposite.

Ive been in many 300+rwkw xr6t's, both utes and sedans and the ONLY TIME ive ever felt a lean backfire from fuel surge was in a sedan under 1/4 of a tank under full boost.

The threads aim is 300kw... a simple in-tank pump will achieve that safely without costing an arm and a leg like a surge tank setup.

• T.P.I.S.
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 4m 25d
It doesnt matter what intank pump you have when it comes to fuel surge. If there is no fuel around the pump it doesnt run on air.... also from reading the forum it seams that fuel surge is worse in utes than sedans..

there is a number of members who have this problem (not all)

I just would not take the risk is a couple $$ more.. but get a quote to rebuit you motor when it has a small electrical problem, caused by a rod knocking the alternator off...

anyway back on track.. get 3 mates and take the tub off. (dont forget to unplug number plate light)

It is the opposite mate.

Sedans are bad for fuel surge.

Utes are good ujntil big power.

BTW I drive on the race track with R comp slicks with no problems with surge. That is what I call fast corners.

• 1 month later...
  • Member For: 15y 25d

So how did you go with install of the walbro341? wold like to know as I will be doing the same in my ute soon..

If you have any pics/tips/hints etc that would be great cheers

• 5 months later...
  • Member For: 15y 10d

I just did mine with the tube out definatly the easiest way. heres a couple pics

remove tub liner best with 2 ppl but I did it myself (cause I have no friends :stirthepot:)

post-35018-126103766398_thumb.jpg

drill out the spot welds

post-35018-126103770298_thumb.jpg

you can either undo the tank brackets or drill more holes to get the screws out

post-35018-126103775048_thumb.jpg

hope this helps someone (sorry was a bit late for you darrel)