Installing Larger Rims On My T

MikeyMike80

• Member For: 15y 10m 8d

Ok, so I'm not sure if anyone can help me out, but I know that changing tyre size on a car can put the speedo out, my question is, what has to be changed or altered to make the speedo display the right speed.

I know on older cars this involved changing a cog or something on the back of the speedo, I assume that this is no longer relavent due to electronic speedos, so does anyone know what has to be done, and who does it?

I am looking at putting 19's on my BA XR6T but don't want my speedo to be out at all

• Cryptic Clothing Company
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 22d

I didnt think u wud have much speed difference with the 19's... I know a tuner can alter the speedo when your car is on the dyno

• blind leading the blind
  • Member For: 15y 7m 22d
just make sure you get tyres with the appropriate profile.

:loser: it may alter it 1 or 2kph depending on brand but I dont think it will be enough to worry

• Member For: 19y 29d

Hey you may find this useful though I haven't tried it myself. Apparantly you can adjust the speedo in a special calibration mode via the dash! It would be better to just go for a tyre size and profile that has the same overall diameter as what is standard. Cheers. Ben.

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/index.ph...ic=1335&hl=

• Member For: 15y 6m 27d

I got this link from another topic on this forum. very helpful and you can just play around with the sizes until your happy with the result. tells you how much the speed will be out either +/-. and it will tell you the % diameter difference.

very handy tool indeed.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

say my stock tyres are 245/45-17, and if I want 20" wheels I would get something like 295/25-20. and my speedo will read approx .5 of km/h slower than normal.

Edited by SCATRD