Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 6m 16d
Posted

hey guys

just wondering I got a small crack in my head gasket my mechanic told me . was wondering if this could be done at home , or if anyone else has had the same problem and can gimmie a idea on prices they have paid .

thanks

cheers chad

  • BOOST
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 23y 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Southern Highlands NSW
Posted

Its probably only gonna get worse. Have you had the cooling system pressure tested. Is there water in the oil or vice versa.

Id personally be getting it replaced

  • It's not a MKI!
  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 3m 14d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Earth
Posted

:useless:

But the first question I'd be asking is how do you know the head gasket is 'cracked'.

The terminology doesn't make sense.

If you've got a blown head gasket then as revheadrobbo has said, is there water in the oil or vice versa?

Remove your header tank cap and run the engine. If ther's bubbles coming up into the header tank then there is a fair chance the head gasket has blown.

If it is leaking oil or coolant on the outside of the head somewhere, ie. you can see it, then there is still achance the head gasket is blown but not effecting the cylinders.

Either way, it's your money and a second opinion is always handy, but get it checked by a professional. :banghead:

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 6m 16d
Posted

thanks guys .. well nothing is mixed with anything atm... there both clean as..

I get a leak from around the manifold. it drops I have to top up my water every 5 -6 days . so yeh im not fully sure.. I got told it could also be washer plugs or sumthing like that

also is manifold glowing a common thing ... I just realised mine glows abit .. ???

cheers

  • Member
  • Member For: 18y 27d
Posted

If its dripping from around the manifold side of the engine and coolant and oil arnt mixing then yeah its probably the core plugs that need replacing.

Mines doing the same thing... just been topping it up till we get round to taking the manifold off and fixing it

  • iTs alL DaRDy........
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 19y 28d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Adelaide
Posted

core plugs? washer plugs? u guys mean welch plugs? id deff get a second opinion man sounds a bit iffy

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 6m 16d
Posted

well the thing is you cant trust the mechanics these days they all guess wat there doing if it works it does if not .. you pay more!

??

well I got told it was welsch plugs to ... but I dont no to be honest... nothing is mixed I just leak coolant... my oil is really clean and my coolant is to io just top it up every so often.. it gets annoying because I dont know wat it is... I also got told that these head gaskets are really strong! so it shouldnt of cracked/blown at 80 XXX only on 10 psi.. is it hard to changed welsch plugs and how do you know? bc I might take the manifold off this weekend to see if it is that..

another question ive been burning alot of oil... can that be due too gasket or due to not beeing tuned and running really rich lately??

cheers guys

  • No boost, no bottle, just my foot on the throttle!
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 22y 7m 20d
  • Gender: Male
  • Location: Sydney
Posted

I think you need to look at what you are doing with your car.

You mention drifting and driving it hard, so expect to have problems.

Headgaskets are not a common problem. There is a common problem with coolant leaking from the waterpump housing on BA's, this could be the problem.

I would suggest you get it checked out by havign the cooling system pressure tested, as you want to know what is causing the problem.

As for the oil usage, I would get the car tuned ASAP because a rich running car can cause problems with oil usage. It will burn the oil fromt he cylinder walls and could lead to siezing.

  • Member
  • Member For: 17y 6m 16d
Posted

yeh I do use it heavily! cant really help it to be honest lol

thanks for the info I am keen on getting it retuned asap for this reason... was just wondering if it had any apparent reason with the head gasket!

cheers!

  • THE PSYCHO XRT
  • Legacy Donating Member
  • Member For: 20y 9m 26d
  • Gender: Not Telling
  • Location: At the lights!
Posted (edited)

If its the welch plug the transmission/bell housing need to pulled out to replace that plug.

Edited by Varaitch

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...