Xr6t Coupe`

tevita6T

• The guy from that other colony
  • Member For: 18y 5m 23d

I think it would make far more sense to sell the Mustang with the Barra 310t in there rather than develop a SWB Falcon.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Still have a turbo, it's just on a diesel.
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 20d
I think it would make far more sense to sell the Mustang with the Barra 310t in there rather than develop a SWB Falcon.

Sure, as long as the Mustang had the falcons suspension and gearboxes as well, now that would be a car to own. :bowdown:

• 2 weeks later...
yeah it would be great if we could get a mustang from a ford dealer, will it ever happen?

Oh. I didn't know the Mustang wasn't sold in Australia. Strange, since Ford AU doesn't have a coupe to compete against it. You'd think with there very symmetrical interiors and relatively low price tag that Ford would export them. Converting couldn't be that expensive, especially if they used Ford AU parts from the Falcon in an otherwise stripped Mustang (no engine, tranny, suspension, interior, steering rack, etc.). I'm still dreaming of the day when I can afford to import a Barra for my fox. I would kill to see that engine family in anything here in North America. It's hard to believe Ford is putting so much money into developing the new Ecoboost V6s when they have a perfectly amazing straight six turbo in production elsewhere.

• Member For: 15y 3m 13d
It's hard to believe Ford is putting so much money into developing the new Ecoboost V6s when they have a perfectly amazing straight six turbo in production elsewhere.

As much as I love the I6 and the Falcon....

The V6 is favoured by Ford due to simple business economics. V6 engines allows for FWD layouts (which are lighter, cheaper to make and have less driveline friction). The Barra I6 would be too long to fit into most of the American Fords (or Mazda, Lincoln, etc). They also view the cast iron Barra engine as outdated and inefficient. And finally, most yanks don't give a sh*t about FWD/RWD, V6/I6.

• Need more power. Now taking donations.
  • Member For: 15y 2m 1d

Also, yanks are shockinig designers...the cars are ugly, and underpinned by acient suspension... if only Ford bosses from the North would drive a falcon around for a few months...We are very lucky to have these XRs....get them before they are axed.

As for the coupe, a fair bit of development would need to go into one. That one pictured on the last page just looks like a falcon from the rear, no distinguishing features. Its ugly. It would have to have a nice swoopy roof line, meatier rear quarters, sleeker front end = too much money.

.. if only Ford bosses from the North would drive a falcon around for a few months...

Like I said, there were a few cruising around Michigan awhile ago. I think it was axed because of fuel economy issues and cost. They've been watching the Late model camira sell really poorly as the G8 here, because the shipping costs put it out of the target market's price range. It's still the cheapest performance sedan you can get around here right now.

• Member For: 16y 1m 20d
There is a reason for that, the VE Expensive Daewoo body does not conform to the V8 Supercar rules. They needed to gain a special exception to modify the VE Expensive Daewoo body to conform with the rules. (From memory it had to do with the width of the wheel base). So it stands to reason the majority of the car would need to be modified to make the car slightly thiner.

I think you'll find the body of the car is the only part that's even remotely related to a commodore... And even that's not the same body that you'll find on your SS road car. Everything is built from scratch, including the chassis, and then has a skin put on it to make it look like a Falcon or a Commodore. I'm actualy amazed that they were using factory components (ie; throttle cable) as late as '07!

• Three pedals are better then two..
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 11m 2d

If I wanted a quick turbo coupe I'd by a Skyline. The best thing about the XRT's are that they are family sedans with sooooo much potential.