RSK Member 340 Member For: 19y 26d Gender: Male Posted 09/11/09 09:27 PM Posted 09/11/09 09:27 PM Hey guys, had my battery relocated to the boot by an auto electrcian, a quick glance as to how it was done is it appears the negative was grounded just under the fuse box then both positive and negative cables were run down the drivers side to the boot. Now the problem I'm having is altenator whine, but it sounds more like turning your tv to a channel with nothing on it (white noise) that gets louder. I have no voltage drop and car starts fine etc, but the whitenoise is ticking me off, as it sounds like my turbo has blown a bearing or something. Basically, should I disconnect the negative/earth that runs from the fuse box to the battery, and just ground it in the boot? Or leave it and ground it in the boot?
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 10/11/09 12:33 AM Posted 10/11/09 12:33 AM RSK,I suspect earthing in the boot would have been best but if you have that alternator whine its there to stay my friend! I moved my battery to the boot last year and have been over every earth in the car as I always had the alternator whine when I used AUX but now its there for good all the time, I now have a full aftermarket stereo system installed and have tried earthing to chassis, double earths, earth straight to battery with everything and still no fix.Try one thing for me and turn on your rear demister while the car is running and tell me if the whine is twice as loud as I have found that the booster box for the factory stereo also has the rear demister power on it in the rear passenger quarter panel. You can disconnect this but even though whine is less its still there.Next step, burn car...
RSK Member 340 Member For: 19y 26d Gender: Male Posted 10/11/09 12:39 AM Posted 10/11/09 12:39 AM I even get the noise with the audio turned off
RSK Member 340 Member For: 19y 26d Gender: Male Posted 10/11/09 04:23 AM Posted 10/11/09 04:23 AM Made a few quick calls to a few car audio places, general consensus seems to be the fact that the positive battery cable is running alongside speaker wire causing interference and the speakers to whine. They told me to fix it I would need to move the speaker wires away from the positve battery cable that's running all the way down the passenger side of the car. Not sure if I could be bothered doing this, as when my CAI setup goes on the whine shouldn't be audiable.Gonna try and tackle this problem over the weekend, just wondering how easy it will be to find the wires/speaker wires that feed from the premium head unit to the factory amp
bjc Legacy Donating Member 2,823 Member For: 23y 1m 5d Gender: Male Location: Townsville Posted 10/11/09 06:27 AM Posted 10/11/09 06:27 AM Factory amp is on the left side near the boot release in the boot, I'd say dont bother as I dont even have mine connected anymore and it made no difference!If my aftermarket HU is not turned on the whine comes from the factory HU (yes that's right, the factory HU whines!) and not through the speakers.I think because there is such a limited number of earths in the system that pretty much everything is connected so if there is one bad earth or one dodgy connection in the car the whole system is screwed, that's why some people have it and some say they dont. Either that or some people are deaf at that annoying fricking frequency...My system sounds sweet with the car not running but when it does, oh man its sh*ts me and I dont always want the volume at medium levels to drown it out. Another thing that makes it worse is using the tiptronic in manual mode!My last ditch effort will be to run the + power outside the car along the ground (maybe try both from the alternator and from the fuse box) and into the boot to see if its EMF from the Power being near other power sources or maybe the dodgy alternator inducing noise. Fault finding is a bitch sometimes.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now